Group Build Chat

Right then, I was going to split my energies between the BoB and Tiger Moth group builds, but I can't summon the enthusiasm for squaring up the wings on a 'bipe' at the moment. I always find interplane struts a massive hassle.

While I'm pretty sure that my current Dogfight Double will come out as well as I can get it, personally I find it much easier to get a sharp result in 1/48 than in 1/72. Which means a 610 Sqn Spit or a 32 Sqn Hurri. As these two squadrons worked in tandem through July-August, I'm tempted to build a Spit/Hurri pair from early July with Sky Blue undersides.

On with the little'uns while I figure that out!

• Like 3

I started watching BofB with little and large mcgregor.... was good until the wife came in.....

What a thoughtful lady you have, my wife won't get things like that as they are not romantic! I know that's why I want them! SHE wants romance, not ME! I want planes!

Rob

• Like 2

Mrs. P refuses to watch Battle of Britain with me, under any circumstances, yet can't understand why nobody waters her tomato plants while she's away. Could there be a connection???

• Like 7

What a thoughtful lady you have, my wife won't get things like that as they are not romantic! I know that's why I want them! SHE wants romance, not ME! I want planes!

Rob

Breakfast with Britmodeller time again.

Yes, she is very thoughtful, but she won't buy me actual kits since she bought me a WNW Albatros for my birthday a couple of years ago and it still isn't finished!

Started watching the McGregor "Battle of Britain" documentary last night. It looks very familiar, perhaps the BBC edited it down to 60min when they showed it, whereas the original was 90min. Good stuff though.

John

• Like 1

I started watching BofB with little and large mcgregor.... was good until the wife came in.....

Rob

Good morning Rob

Tell her that there is some sort of romance in this movie between Christopher Plummer and Susannah York .. or you can simply offer her a new Tv set where she can watch romance movies ..

Patrice

• Like 2

Hi there, it's come up a few times what literature people are currently reading about the BoB. Have just finished the 'Last Enemy' by Richard Hillary as part of my project on his spitfire XT*M, and I have got Patrick Bishop's book The Battle of Britain for holiday next week. Alfred Price's books, particularly the Hardest Day, has also leapt its way off my shelves a couple of times... but what are other people reading?

Paul

Just finished the Patrick Bishop book, James Holland's book and Derek Robinson's Invasion, 1940. About to dig out Fighter Squadron at War (85 Squadron) and Tom Neil's Gun Button to Fire.

Edited by maltadefender
  • Like 1

"A salute to one of the few" by Simon St John Beer. Good book! Lots of nice details and it focusses on one pilots journey to and in the bofb until he is unfortunately shot down and dies. May look at modelling his AC if a can sqeeze another kit in and find enough info.

Malta defender - i have read two of the tom Neil books, very much enjoyable! But need to find his book on his time in Malta!

Rob

• Like 1

Finished reading Tom Neil's "Silver Spitfire" last week, now reading Daviv Baldacci's "The Forgotten"', nothing to do with aviation, but it won't be long before I find something else. I'm planning to re- read "Nine Lives " soon if I can find an early edition.

Rob - the Malta book is the best of the bunch (not that I'm biased!) - just found it for 1p on Amazon!

It's very much based on his diaries and comes across even better than his recollections do. In places it's hilarious (the banter is straight from Derek Robinson at times), and there is some touching stuff about their chaste evenings out with well-heeled Maltese families, looking wistfully at the eldest daughters and occasionally getting the thrill of a dance with them.

Plenty of top quality ranting about Hurricanes, tactics, top brass and the Battle of Britain as well. The later books lack that because he was writing from the position of someone who had been top brass and therefore understood what his younger self couldn't.

Twin Neil's book (Onward, to Malta!) with R.E. Gillman's story of being among the Blenheim aircrew, The Ship Hunters, and you'll have two very good friends for life!

Edited by maltadefender
  • Like 1

Rob - the Malta book is the best of the bunch (not that I'm biased!) - just found it for 1p on Amazon!

It's very much based on his diaries and comes across even better than his recollections do. In places it's hilarious (the banter is straight from Derek Robinson at times), and there is some touching stuff about their chaste evenings out with well-heeled Maltese families, looking wistfully at the eldest daughters and occasionally getting the thrill of a dance with them.

Plenty of top quality ranting about Hurricanes, tactics, top brass and the Battle of Britain as well. The later books lack that because he was writing from the position of someone who had been top brass and therefore understood what his younger self couldn't.

Twin Neil's book (Onward, to Malta!) with R.E. Gillman's story of being among the Blenheim, The Ship Hunters, aircrew and you'll have two very good friends for life!

some top information there! Thanks. I will hunt both down as I could do with some more Malta inspiration!

Rob

I think I've got my remaining builds sorted now. Next up will be two from the start of the Battle:

Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I - P3144 GZ-B, 32 Squadron, Biggin Hill, July 1940 (sky blue undersides)

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Ia - L1045 DW-O, 610 Squadron, Biggin Hill, July 1940 (sky blue undersides)

If there is time I will also add:

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Ia - P9495 DW-K, 610 Squadron, Biggin Hill, August 1940 (sky undersides)

Anyone know weather stencils were visible on repainted luftwaffe aircraft like octane ratings etc and walkway markings? I

Octane fuel fill markings, oil tank capacity markings and such were covered during repainting, and either had the original background colour or were painted around with a brush, markings such as, Lift-here, do not walk, appear to have been painted over and not replaced.

• Like 2

As an aside, today is August 11th. 75 years ago today, the RAF suffered the highest number of fatalities in just one day - 25, including the first Polish pilot killed in the BoB - Antoni Ostowicz of 145 Squadron. A second, Michal Steborowski of 238 Squadron fell 13 minutes later. The 25 pilots lost ranged from the experienced and decorated, to one on his first combat sortie. The sacrifices of August 11th are really not known, but with luck my article of this day will appear in Britain at War magazine later this year, and give a good overview of those tragic hours.

Edited by AndyL
  • Like 7