Modern Humbrol paint

Bruce Archer

Hi All!

As my favorite paint (Polly Scale) is rapidly disappearing since it has been discontinued, I need to find a new , brushable paint. I remember Humbrol Authentic Colors (and even have 3-4 tins from the 70s which I STILL use) being very brushable. Are the new colors from Humbrol brushable? If not ,does anybody know of an acrylic paint (yes, I know Humbrol is solvent based) which is brushable?

Thanks!

Bruce

My vote is for Humbrol. I ALWAYS and only use their paints as they generally have a very good colour (ok I use 163 and 164 rather than 30 and 106) but otherwise they are bang on and brush very well.

Take a look at my builds if you want to see how Humbrol goes (note I always use matt spray varnish afterwards).

Ben

Bruce,

You might want to read the following link about Humbrol's UK made paints (and quality control), compared to some older batches of paint that may still be available in some hobby shops.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960779-humbrol-history/

Look for the new Blue swirl design on the tin / the UK flag / 6 digits below the Bar code on the sticker (bottom of tin).

You may need to apply at least two thin coats, however I think you'll still be happy with Humbrol's.. I've got a few of the Authentic's as well and do agree - they still happily apply themselves for me.

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Another vote for Vallejo.

Great for brush painting and there's loads of other plus points but a: their colour descriptions are sometimes way off and b: they're delicate and sometimes don't grip the surface well.

But I'd argue for detail painting they're unmatched

Edited by neilscrim

Whats a brush?

What you stick through yer 'air in the morning. :monkey:

I tend to use Humbrol enamels for brush painting, though Tamiya acrylics are beginning to appear in greater numbers on the workbench these days. Lifecolor is my brand of choice for the airbrush, though they also brush well.

Vallejo are great by brush ! Speaking of the model color here, not the model air as the latter are overthinned for use with an airbrush.

The only "problem" with Vallejo paints is that they are not specifically aimed at aircraft modellers, so they have relativley few matched paints. There are a number of conversion charts around but to be honest I wouldn't trust them too much.. I have at least 3 different Vallejo greys I bought while searching for an RAF Ocean Grey and none is even close.

If you can find them where you live, the already mentioned Lifecolor has a wide range of acrylic paints that are very good for use with a brush. They can be thinned with water (like Vallejo) or with their thinner, they are among the most robust acrylics around when applied and the range includes a large number of specific aircraft paints, with the FS indicated on the bottle. I have to say however that while some of their paints are accurate, others are not. The worst issue with lifecolors however is their shelf life: some go off relatively early and when they start to go off there's nothing to do but throwing the bottle in the bin.

Xtracrylics are also not bad IMHO. I've used them with a brush several times without any problem and again the range is wide and includes a large number of matched paints. The ones I've used all looked accurate to me.

• Like 1

Must say, i've been brush painting Xtracolour over grey spray primer for over 20 years and am very pleased with results, mottling can be troublesome with gloss though so i revert to Humbrol matt and gloss coat afterwards

I was going to say that it's the thing you sweep the floor with but thought better of it! :wicked:

Thats an utterly offensive and sexist remak!

To think women can only use a brush to sweep the floor is appalling and has no place in modern society.

I'll have you know Sir, I have a vacum cleaner!

:bleh:

• Like 3

I'll have you know Sir, I have a vacum cleaner!

:bleh:

We have an Eastern European lady doing the house work. It takes her 5 hours to hoover the lounge.............................

She's a slow vac................... :coat:

Not trying to hijack this thread ............... just adding humour :)

Edited by jenko
  • Like 3

That's what you call your other half, vacuum cleaner?

Rick.

Edit to be less PC.

Don't have a other half

Nobody wants a fat disabled chick with an aeroplane addiction

We have an Eastern European lady doing the house work. It takes her 5 hours to hoover the lounge.............................

She's a slow vac................... :coat:

Not trying to hijack this thread ............... just adding humour :)

Normally dear Jenko you'd be for this :fight: but that jest wasnt a'tall bad, far better than the black knights woeful effort :bleh:

• Like 1

I got my hands on a couple of Humbrol aircraft acrylics for the first time the other day. My local model shop won't stock them but do stock the railway colours!

Anyway, I tried them and was not very happy with the acrylic version of 56, it was very thick and the texture was extremely rough, a similar story with Humbrol 224, a very rough texture and the adhesion was not good either. Applying them over a primer base might have helped but for now I'll stick to Humbrol enemels, having used them for years, I know their foibles and they both brush and spray well.

Have to agree fully with Danni (now that's a first :analintruder: ) Humbrol is consistently good. In the old days when I used to bush paint everything (last century) I always used Humbrol. Revell Aqua Colour if thinned correctly is like the Old Aeromaster acrylics and does what it says on the tin.