Valiant B.1 (1:72 Airfix)

Stunning work Mike, if not for the title I would have sworn that it was 1/48 looking at the photos, that Magnifer must be magic.

Cheers

Den

Cheers guys :)

I've been told the release date is the beginning of July... let's hope so, eh? :pray:

I've been building up the three rear crew seats on & off over the last few sessions, and reckon they'll be finished tomorrow. I'll post up some pics when they're done :)

1 gray/green camo (did they have that or were they scrapped before that came in?)

Nope - they did plenty of flying in the camo :)

A little bit of scratchbuilding later, and I have the three more accurate rear crew seats blocked out. A coat of primer will sort out any blemishes that need sorting, but I think they're 90% there. Not 100% accurate, but a lot more representative than those in the box. fair play to Airfix though - it would have been hell to tool accurate seats, and how many of them would even be seen? :shrug:

rearseats.jpg

Cheers Rob :)

I'm just building up a little "pressure cooker" looking thing that sits behind the starboard (as you look from back to front) back seater. it's an odd trolley like affair with a big cylinder set into the top. That's got little knobs & boxes on the top, and I haven't a clue what it is :dunce:

Thanks for the kind comments folks :)

since it's a british aircraft... an electric tea kettle, maybe? ;)

It probably is the kettle, although it's a very complicated one looking at all the knobs & dials :lol:

Cheers Richard ^_^

I managed to get a coat of icky green on the interior last night, and will hopefully post some pics later today :)

Cheers Richard ^_^

I managed to get a coat of icky green on the interior last night, and will hopefully post some pics later today :)

looking forward to seeing the pics ive been to a few model shope on a few occasions now and still cant find one i cant wait to build a valiant or 3, is it actually out yet. cheers rob

I decided that the rear periscope that sits over the rear crew was going to get the treatment, so I cut off the kit "flaps" and replaced them with brass rode, annealed first to give it extra flex. I then drilled a 0.5mm hole in the top of the cupola shape, and installed a scratch-built periscope. Then it was out with the airbrush, and the search for a match with the kit's billious green decals, which is actually the right colour for the rear cockpit on all the refs I have. Success was surprisingly quick, in the Lifecolor RAAF Set 2, Interior Green UA522 (FS24110). It matches pretty much perfectly... who'd have thought it?

I sprayed the walls of the fuselage first, remembering to mask off the front cockpit and paint that panzer grey - my usual black substitue. I also painted the cockpit insert in the same colours, plus the seats and the "tea kettle". The little oxygen bottle on the wall got a coat of red, as did the kit crew ladder, which although not 100% accurate will do for my purposes ;)

cockpit3.jpg

I also painted the rear crew seats panzer grey, as they look to be a grey leather. Incidentally, I've since spotted a different type of rear crew seat with a curved roll-over bar type back. Unfortunately, I've not got any more shot of that, but at least you now know that there were two types.

cockpit2.jpg

The replacement Aeroclub metal pilots seats were given some additional detail at the rear, as this is the only parts that will see the light of day, methinks. A plate was added to the spine with lightening holes cut through with a punch, and various brackets, bottles & tubes were added to busy it up. The bases were also extended to fit the cockpit floor, which is why the kit locating points are missing from the pic - I cut them off :wicked:

The next step is to continue detail painting, and then weather the cockpit with chips to the paint & general wear. The decals will be applied before I start that though, so I can add a few grab handles for the instument boxes, just to give a hint of a three dimensions to the area. :)

OK this is definately looking good, but just to show how good why not put a penny or something similar in the photo to give it some sense of scale, must get one of those magnifiers !

Cheers

Den

why is the olne on the far left doing a crossword????

Mike that is gorgeos, but can you put a ruler in to show scale - am sure you are kidding us and this is not 1/72 ;-)