What's flying over your house?

itsafokker

Last night had diverted BA 747, 777 and 767 depart Glasgow after a couple of days! Some-ink different to the usual 737 and Airbus.

Eng

everything really, I live about a mile from and parallel to East Mids Runway, additionally I see everything under the sun at work, at the moment I am looking out of the door at G-PUPP a getting scarce Scottish Aviation Bulldog Pup

I know that Pup intimately. I know one of the part owners and had a quick trip in her earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...
Where to start, I live in Horsham, West Sussex,

A) Sunday morning a Sentinel R1 going at a very rapid rate of knots towards Dunsfold/Guildford area.

B) A Lynx AH9 Friday afternoon, again heading off towards Dunsfold/Guildford area.

C) Three or so weeks ago two Apaches in formation heading towards Worthing/Shoreham area.

D) At various times during the week, Chinooks going all over the place.

E) Various times of the day and sometimes night, Sussex Police's Eurocopter from Shoreham.

F) Various times of the day, Sussex air ambulance from Dunsfold.

G) Many years ago a Jaguar that was doing recon trying to find the little girl Sarah Payne who was murdered and found near Adversane.

H) When Dunsfold was open various Harriers and anyhthing BAE.

I) Concorde when it was flying, we are on the Gatwick flight path.

J) Various airliners coming in and out of Gatwick.

K) On the way home from work in the Henfield, West Sussex area, two Hercules C4's VERY LOW, scared the crap out of me !!.

L) Red Arrows tail end of last year at the White Rock air display in Brighton, I work in Brighton and got a superb free display !!

M) Up until very recently, Sea Kings about three miles away from me, doing some kind of thing with the TA and SAS on Denne Hill in Horsham, the MOD & Police had many, many, many complaints from local residents that there were strange lights in the sky and loud engine noises keeping them up at night, and it was confirmed by the local rag it was the RAF dropping the SAS off for some kind of

war game.

N) My best mate lives in Southwater which I believe is a low fly zone and he gets, Tornados, Eurofighters, Chinooks, Merlins, Hawks the lot at very low level as well I may add !!.

O) Various light aircraft from Shoreham airport.

Thats about all I can think of !!

Kev

Thats interesting. I live a few miles to the west of Southwater where I used to live and over the last few years fast jets have become an real rarity!!! Haven't seen fast jets since the very late 90's!!!! Chinooks and some other military choppers yes. Quite regular, in particular late evenings mid week for the wokkas! BUT last year but one(2009) around the time of Biggin air show the Vulcan did come over my house prety close and low on route to the show and later its return to Lyneham. On some occasions particularly air show season, the occasional warbirds. And on a very special occasion, for me at least the BoB flight circled over Billingshurst, where I am, TWICE before making a heading over to Horsahm and overflying Christs Hospital school for a special occasion.

Much more recently overflying Cranleigh (near Dunsfold)my place of work, two harriers orbited maiking passes at Dunsfold for the 50th birthday of the jet but could not land 'cos of FOG! During one pass when the stuff cleared I saw them clearly. Both from $ Squadron. Mosy likely the very last time I'll see them in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week in Milnrow Lancashire (UK) we had a pair of Wokka`s (Chinook`s) fly over at 1-2,000ft in formation following the M62 motorway towards Yorkshire (Halifax area) then a day later an RAF Merlin went over very low in the same direction......was there an Army exercise on at Catterick?

Living where we do right alongside the motorway we get lots of aircraft flying over with the odd military one amongst them, including the Reds and the BBMF which have come over on quite a few occasions, plus a Ju52 some years ago but the highlight had to be a Fleet Air Arm Sea King ASaC.7 which hover taxiied along at around 100 feet or so around 5-6 years ago..........he must have been looking at the road signs!!!

All the best

Tony O

Hawks, C-17's (multi national), C-130 J's and K's (multi-national), American F-16s, the occasional Eurofighter, Chinooks, Yank V-22 Osprey, A330, VC10, DC10, B767 and 757, Mirage, twice we've had Pave Lows since I've been here, Black Hawks a couple of times as well....BAe 146 quite often too. Il-76 for vehicle movements.

Quite a selection - although all of the RAF's planes are normally here a while, as they're broken... :whistle:

Hawks, C-17's (multi national), C-130 J's and K's (multi-national), American F-16s, the occasional Eurofighter, Chinooks, Yank V-22 Osprey, A330, VC10, DC10, B767 and 757, Mirage, twice we've had Pave Lows since I've been here, Black Hawks a couple of times as well....BAe 146 quite often too. Il-76 for vehicle movements.

Quite a selection - although all of the RAF's planes are normally here a while, as they're broken... :whistle:

Blimey, where exactly are you?

Used to be very busy with Low Level stuff here, at the end of the Dee Valley, but very quiet these days. Get the occasional Herc and about half a dozen choppers from Shawbury a week, if we're lucky! :weep:

With some of the locals around the 'Loop' winging that there's too much Low Flying around there, send some our way!

When I grew up on the Wirral, overlooking the Dee estuary in the early 80s, we did indeed see all manner of great stuff - the occasional Shackleton, Nimrods (I seem to recall one flight of four Nimrods, including the AEW variant!), Hawks, etc.

Now, in South London, it's mostly airliners (lots of Avro RJs) and private jets. Had an army Lynx fly low over me in the middle of the City of London yesterday, though.

Currently a Benson Merlin at around 50' AGL - in and out of the fields behind the house...

Iain

We used to live in the next village over from Benson, when the Merlins moved in - noisy buggahs, especially when on night training!

Nothing right now, but hardly a day goes by when I don't hear the spine-tingling roar of the VC10s going over on circuits from Brize Norton. They are so wonderful and elegant, I just have to stop and watch whenever I actually see one. I relish them, as the day will soon come when they are no more.

We get Tristars and C-17s quite regularly too, as well as the occasional wacky visitor: an AN-124 came low overhead a couple of times last autumn, and the other day a KC-135 was pottering around in the circuit.

That, and the Benson helicopters: mostly Merlins but a good helping of the much better-looking Pumas, and the odd Chinook. Very occasionally, a Tiger Moth.

However, the real gem I saw last week was one of two airworthy Chrislea Super Aces in the UK. A lightplane it maybe, but an unusual, historic and attractive one.

That is all at university (Oxford)

At home in North Somerset the peak of the excitement is when the Red Arrows display annually at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta: our house is right underneath the turning area between display passes. However, we did have the protoype A380 fly past up the valley at about 500ft once. I believe it was on its way to do a display for the chaps who built the wings up at Filton.

I am still waiting for the Vulcan.

...We get Tristars and C-17s quite regularly too...

At home in North Somerset the peak of the excitement is when the Red Arrows display annually at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta: our house is right underneath the turning area between display passes.

The Red Arrows must be something spectacular to see every year, no matter how many years you see them!

I'm surprised the Tristars and C-17s are servicable for long enough for anyone to see them on a regular basis! :coolio: Roll on the A400M. And the repair of ZZ177, if possible.

*oops, missed a Z - Edited*

Edited by mideast-mover

I'm sorry these photos are about a year old but still need to be shared.

n1132841300_120193_4482.jpg

n1132841300_120194_5494.jpg

Wow did I feel honoured. I'd heared the rumble dashed outside without shoes in the rain. Cursed my mistake luck for not being better prepared.

Later I heard it again, now with mobile in hand and new socks....

On wednesday 9th Feb I had a Tornado GR4 flying over and around my hometown of Newport in Pembs. Stood out in a field taking a load of shots, and these are a couple of the better ones. He didn't get particularly low but the weather didn't help either. I'm sure some of you Insignia spotters will pick out where this is from :)

tornado023.jpg

tornado038.jpg

On the underside you can clearly see one practice bomb carrier is empty

On wednesday 9th Feb I had a Tornado GR4 flying over and around my hometown of Newport in Pembs. Stood out in a field taking a load of shots, and these are a couple of the better ones. He didn't get particularly low but the weather didn't help either. I'm sure some of you Insignia spotters will pick out where this is from :)

2 Sqn?

Joseph