La Vee-8 Parisienne

Ah, there you are... 👀

Having had both eye lenses replaced due to cataracts I can finally see what I'm doing and can no longer use poor eyesight as an excuse for poor workmanship!  The forced hiatus has been frustrating but I've spent the time planning new projects.  Now, I had resolved to finally get down to some serious OOB modelling - I was, honest! - but I came across a photo of a Citroen 2CV that someone had modded appallingly badly and it set me thinking... :think:

A not-so-quick trawl of the Interwebs produced (a) a ridiculously cheap pre-owned Airfix 2CV kit, and (b) an incomplete hot-rod kit and what had been a vague idea chrystallised into my next lunatic fun project - a 2CV-bodied V8-powered street-rod. :mental:

(Any francophiles and/or lovers of the Tin Snail may leave now and preserve their delicate sensibilities...)

These are the donor kits...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now, the overall concept is to build the street-rod's chassis and running gear pretty much OOB and  modify the 2CV's bodyshell to fit straight onto it.  Simples... :rofl2:

Offering the bodyshell up to the 'rod's floorpan showed straight away that it was feasible but there's a 5mm discrepancy in the wheelbase that needs attending to...

spacer.png

Several options offered themselves but none would keep the correct proportions so there was nothing for it but a cut-and-shut.  Looking carefully at the shell the best method is a staggered section-removal, ensuring the sections to be removed were at points where they were parallel-sided to make rejoining and reshaping easier.  I've marked up ready for cutting...

spacer.png

Handily the flattest, most horizontal roof section is directly above the B-pillars which I had planned to remove anyway to improve its looks, but the best place to remove the side sections is on the rear doors.  This will also create a stronger shell when rejoined due to the staggered cuts.

I've marked up the front wings for removal but won't do that until the other body mods are complete to preserve rigidity.

All are welcome to follow along but it might be a bumpy ride...

• Like 13

I’m sure this will come out well, but I can’t help feeling lengthening the T chassis would be easier?  Look forward to the result!

• Like 1

I did consider that option but it meant lengthening not only the chassis and floorpan assemblies but the exhaust system, propshaft and several other tricky bits, the end result being out of proportion as street rods tend to be fairly short wheelbase anyway.

• Like 2

Oh look out, he's off again...!! 

I've got enough :popcorn: and :beer:to last the duration so crack on Neddy, this will be fun!

Keith

PS Really good to hear the eye ops went well.... :thumbsup: :)

• Thanks 1

AAH! Very interesting! (That comment was from a Chinese detective in an early movie).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chaz Gordon said:

A brief google search reveals there are a rather disturbing number of V8 powered 2CVs in existence in the real world. I'm trying not to think about it too much...

What is this "think" of which you speak?  Best not. 😊

• Haha 2

Well, there's no going back now...

spacer.png

...all the initial cuts made with a razor saw.  A quick clean-up of the rough edges and they offered up pretty well so I temporarily joined them with masking tape to check the wheelbase and general look of the thing...

spacer.png

...and am pleased to say the wheelbase is now spot-on and the general look is as I'd hoped.  Off-camera I've also cut the interior side panels by the same amount and offset the cuts so that when assembled they will provide positive location points and additional stiffness to the joins.  The roof join I'll reinforce with a strip of thin Plasticard underneath it so the end result should be pretty rigid.  I foresee a lot of filling and sanding in my immediate future!

• Like 13

Well, this is interesting! And just a little twisted. :popcorn:

Once I got over the initial shock, I wondered if you were going to also chop the roof, but that would be very hard with that shape.

• Like 1

I did consider it...for about three seconds!  Apart from the myriad technical challenges the windscreen is narrow enough already and I don't think it would improve matters, in fact quite the reverse. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

You know you're a good builder when someone can look at you work and know who did it and this can only have come from the mind of one person 😅🤣.

Sadly you're right - in so many ways... :giggle: :cwl:

• Haha 3

Bonjour mes infants!  Further progress today involved copious quantities of filler and a couple of Mrs N's emery boards.  As a result the joins are a lot less obvious.  The cut-down door liner panels were cemented in and a fillet of Plasticard strengthened the roof joint, all giving a strong, stable and properly aligned 'shell.  I could then remove the front wings which at one stage were all that was holding it together!

spacer.png

I also very roughly marked out some guidelines for opening up the rear wheel-arches.  I first chain-drilled them then shaped them with the mini-drill and a Dremel drum sander attachment.  That and some minor re-shaping at the front corners meant I could trial it for the first time on the hot-rod's floor-pan...

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's all very rough and not-so-ready at the moment but at least you can now get an idea of what I'm up to!

• Like 9

It was like they were meant to be together.   Have you thought about removing the rear wheel arches altogether and grafting is some flat sheet? It might make the join between the two elements appear more cohesive.   Great work - Andy

• Thanks 1

TBH I'm mulling over options as it develops - nothing's ruled out!  I'm also looking at the firewall which I think needs to be more vertical - further surgery required.

• Like 1