Inverted Gull Wing, the American way. It's a Corsair!

giemme

Hi everybody, calling all Corsair maniacs experts for this build, such as @corsaircorp and @Corsairfoxfouruncle just to name the two I'm more familiar with :winkgrin:  I always loved the Corsair, but know very little about it, so any help, hints, tips, references and pointers will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

This is more of a bookmark than an actual start, I still need to study some proper documentation about the subject, anyway here are a few pics. The kit:

boxart

It's the well known Tamiya 1/48 box - I don't think there's much to say about it, anyway here are the sprues:

sprues1

sprues2

sprues3

sprues4

The second pilot figure, in the "jumping on board" pose, is very tempting...

Clear parts

sprues5

Decals (as usual, I plan to use very few of them :winkgrin:)

decals1

and the scheme I want to reproduce, Jolly Rogers' BIG HOG

scheme1

scheme2

Actual works to start soon-ish, I may venture into a foray in another field of modelling before/along this, we'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm all ears :winkgrin:

Ciao

Edit: I almost forgot to add that my friend @corsaircorp had sent me some resin bits to tart up this build:

resin1

I'm not sure if I'll be using the whole engine or just replace the crankcase of the kit with the resin one - definitely going to use the resin seat, though

Edited by giemme
Forgot one pic
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Something I didn't know was a thing until I saw these

FUN_32008-5.jpg

Are you referencing the blotches of color on the wing ? If so the ammo canisters were removable and the tops were painted with the wing. When crew would remove to refill the canister’s they didn't always get put back into the wing in the correct position. Speed was more essential than correct location. 

• Like 3

Hahaaaa !! Here he is !!!

Great gesture Maestro G !!

Can't wait to see your painting skills used on the subject !!

This Big Hog has been used mainly from shore base....

Sand and coral dust took an heavy toll on the poor bent wing birds...

And the Tailhook was generally removed...

One notable exception was for the Rabaul raid since VF-17 was covering the fleet on that day...

If you want to add a bomb under the belly, the rackfrom the Tamiya kit is wrong...

And it has been used once.... For operation Chatte Flambee....

Go on my friend, I'll try my best to help you....

The white bands on the cowling is just tape used to prevent the fuel fumes and leaks to cover the cockpit.....

Start at will Man !!

The book from John T. Blackburn may inspire you, it is named Jolly Rogers...

101188960_2854583378000498_5555196831920553984_o 149780029_218279226686419_5943133847738080407_n 270234190_5178860885475217_438905949883289493_n

I hope it will inspire you !!!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I cannot recommend the Fundekals instructions enough for some very interesting and mostly unknown quirks of the Corsair - including the radio aerials.  This will be a very interesting build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I made the first page on account of the fact that I couldn't sleep tonight, so I'm up very early!

Really looking forward to this one Giorgio. Your chosen scheme looks ace, and let's face it, a US Navy aircraft has got to be the right way to go!

That's my placeholder secure for when you start!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a little more about Tom Davis, who passed away last December.

This is the local newspaper report.

https://www.chronicleonline.com/news/local/lifelong-aviator-crystal-river-airport-fixed-base-operator-tom-davis-dies-wednesday/article_b2eccabb-22db-539c-aea1-0ffdd58c52ee.html

Not many people who come up with so many hits when you Google their name!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I get this when I try and go to that site 😞

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

It then gives a long message that basically says I can't access because I'm in the EU, which is frustrating cos I'm not anymore!

T

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hendie said:

You'll notice I resisted commenting on  "wot no paint yet?"

OK, I'll do it then - ''wot no paint yet? Get a move on man''..... :tease:

Really looking forward to when you get going on this Giorgio! :)

Keith

• Haha 8

On 05/11/2023 at 22:17, hendie said:

I'll hang me coat on the first chair - just so's I can find the thread later when you get moving. You'll notice I resisted commenting on  "wot no paint yet?" .

I did notice, but....

On 06/11/2023 at 18:15, keefr22 said:

OK, I'll do it then - ''wot no paint yet? Get a move on man''..... :tease:

Really looking forward to when you get going on this Giorgio! :)

Keith

... someone thought better :rofl: 

Welcome on board, guys :thumbsup:

On 05/11/2023 at 22:20, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well I will try my best to help, most of my photo references went up in smoke when I switched phones in April. One thing I do have is time so I can research. 

Cheers Dennis, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 05/11/2023 at 22:36, fubar57 said:

Something I didn't know was a thing until I saw these

On 05/11/2023 at 22:42, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Are you referencing the blotches of color on the wing ? If so the ammo canisters were removable and the tops were painted with the wing. When crew would remove to refill the canister’s they didn't always get put back into the wing in the correct position. Speed was more essential than correct location. 

There's a beautiful build from @Cookenbacher here on BM sporting exactly that kind of detail on the wings. Maybe he can post a link? I can't find it right now

On 05/11/2023 at 23:25, corsaircorp said:

Hahaaaa !! Here he is !!!

Great gesture Maestro G !!

Can't wait to see your painting skills used on the subject !!

This Big Hog has been used mainly from shore base....

Sand and coral dust took an heavy toll on the poor bent wing birds...

And the Tailhook was generally removed...

One notable exception was for the Rabaul raid since VF-17 was covering the fleet on that day...

If you want to add a bomb under the belly, the rackfrom the Tamiya kit is wrong...

And it has been used once.... For operation Chatte Flambee....

Go on my friend, I'll try my best to help you....

The white bands on the cowling is just tape used to prevent the fuel fumes and leaks to cover the cockpit.....

Start at will Man !!

The book from John T. Blackburn may inspire you, it is named Jolly Rogers...

I hope it will inspire you !!!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Alain! :thumbsup: From the pics you posted I already see some interesting things, like what appear to be repair patches on the fuselage, chipping on the tail planes leading edge looking metallic, chipping on the wing leading edge looking a mix of metallic, YZC and white, etc... 

About the white bands on the cowling, good to know they were tape; I was going to paint them on, but now I think using the kit decal would be better to represent them.

As for the tail hook, it looks like it's there in the first pic, so I think I'm gonna go with that.

On 05/11/2023 at 23:36, Spookytooth said:

Well I am in on the first page too.

We all await what the maestro will do.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, welcome on board :thumbsup:

On 06/11/2023 at 04:00, holtaa said:

I cannot recommend the Fundekals instructions enough for some very interesting and mostly unknown quirks of the Corsair - including the radio aerials.  This will be a very interesting build.

Thanks for the pointer, @holtaa :thumbsup: I downloaded them and just had a quick browse, but I can confirm there are a lot of interesting things in there!

On 06/11/2023 at 05:21, Terry1954 said:

Looks like I made the first page on account of the fact that I couldn't sleep tonight, so I'm up very early!

Really looking forward to this one Giorgio. Your chosen scheme looks ace, and let's face it, a US Navy aircraft has got to be the right way to go!

That's my placeholder secure for when you start!

Terry

Thanks you Terry, welcome to you too! :thumbsup: 

On 06/11/2023 at 07:36, Biggles87 said:

Mine also.

Waiting impatiently.

John

Cheers John , welcome :thumbsup: 

On 06/11/2023 at 15:33, Brandy said:

I'm in!

The owner of the flight school I trained and worked at flew F4-Us in Korea. He had a huge portion of his right-wing very unsurgically removed but made it  back to a land base down South.

https://flic.kr/p/2pe4hM7

Ian 

On 06/11/2023 at 16:42, Brandy said:

Here's a little more about Tom Davis, who passed away last December.

https://www.chronicleonline.com/news/local/lifelong-aviator-crystal-river-airport-fixed-base-operator-tom-davis-dies-wednesday/article_b2eccabb-22db-539c-aea1-0ffdd58c52ee.html

Not many people who come up with so many hits when you Google their name!

Ian

Great stuff, Ian, thank you! :thumbsup:

On 06/11/2023 at 17:55, Thom216 said:

Love the Corsair! (even though I only have one completed on the shelf) Tamiya is a great kit of it as well. Have fun!

Oddly enough, it's the same for me: I only have built one (a Hasegawa French Corsair) many moons ago, despite of having always liked the type.

11 hours ago, Wlad said:

What a nice find. I'm in too.

Wlad

And welcome to you too, Wlad. :thumbsup:

Alright, no plastic hacking happened yet, but I started reading about the subject here and there, so let's open the first can of worm: cockpit interior color, what's the general consensus? I am thinking interior green..

And the wheel wells? And the engine cowling interior?

Speaking of the engine cowling: in the inner side near the front the real aircraft had a distinctive framing that attached to the cylinder heads: I think I saw somewhere a build in which the frames were reproduced by aftermarket resin bits; does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ciao

• Like 5

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Alright, no plastic hacking happened yet, but I started reading about the subject here and there, so let's open the first can of worm: cockpit interior color, what's the general consensus? I am thinking interior green..

And the wheel wells? And the engine cowling interior?

True this is from a restoration however it is accurate for an early F4U-1/1A. 

id9gluu.jpg

DukXn96.jpg

wheel wells would be Salmon in the very early aircraft and green in later production. However this was over sprayed with underside color. For the cowling and interior color information check the Vought section here. 

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As my cousin say !! 

Agreed with that, salmon pink was more oftenly seen on the tailwheel well....

Generally at the time being, wheel wells were green...

There is only a part of te wing that was fabric covered..

The patches under the cockpit of Big hog were the result of a friendly fire....

The glass panel under the cockpit was always over painted....

Hope it help !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh I forgot to ad this, its my build of Tamiya’s 1/72 -1D. There should be more info in the thread. 

F4U-1D: ⬇️

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235091391-ussessex-air-wing-april-1945-part-iimy-first-usn-carrier-aircraft-in-27-years/

F4U-1A: ⬇️

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074015-“pappy’s-bird”/

F4U-1: ⬇️

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235075646-birdcage-by-vought/

Hope these help ?

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

wheel wells would be Salmon in the very early aircraft

And I thought @keefr22 was kidding! :banghead: Apologies, Keith!

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hope these help ?

It definitely does! :thanks:

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Agreed with that, salmon pink was more oftenly seen on the tailwheel well....

Generally at the time being, wheel wells were green...

There is only a part of te wing that was fabric covered..

The patches under the cockpit of Big hog were the result of a friendly fire....

The glass panel under the cockpit was always over painted....

Hope it help !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  Yet, according to the IPMS Stockholm page Dennis linked above, I seem to gather the following: on the F4U-1As, as soon as the tri-color camouflage was adopted, the whole main wheel bay, including inner and outer sides of the doors was painted NS Insignia White. It should have been the same for the heat legs, but this never became operational and those remained Light Grey. They also say that the inner cowling was painted like the inferior surfaces, to wit NS Insignia White.

And again during initial production of the 1a, the Salmon pink was abandoned in favor of YZC, and the cockpit interior was painted Interior Green

So, I'm leaning towards this:

- Cockpit interior: Interior Green, and Black for the IP and side consolles, etc. YZC from the rear bulkhead backwards

- Main wheel wells: NS Insignia White, including the doors (in and out). Light Grey for the struts

- Rear wheel well, YZC. I'm not clear about the inside color for the doors

- Engine cowling interior: NS Insignia White

- Same color to overspray the glass panel under the cockpit

BTW, I did find the reference to the resin AM for the engine cowling with the internal framing, it's from Vector:

Vector-VDS32_011-3.jpg

What I'm really interested in are the bits on the bottom right of the picture. Any reference (drawing, scheme, whatever) would be interesting, I'm going to think about a way of scratch building them, if I deem it worthwhile... 

Ciao

• Like 5