Airfix 2024 (Again)

wellsprop

On 12/15/2023 at 6:00 PM, trickydicky210 said:

As it’s nearly the time that we find out, thought I would suggest the following:

Name 1 each of the following for Airfix to supply us in 2024:

a) New Tool

b) Up or down scale of an existing kit

c) Vintage Classic 

d) Surprise release mid year 

my response (guess)

a) 1/48 Westland Lysander 

b) 1/48 Jet Provost

c) Short Skyvan 

d) 1/72 B24 Liberator 

please have a go, just for fun 🥳

a) new tool 1/72 Jaguar

b) up down scale 1/72 Sea Fury 

c) Vintage Classic 1/72 Westland Scout 

d) mid year release 1/350 QE2/POW

but I still think  1/72  Anson C.21, 1/48 Westland Wildcat and  1/72 Spit TR.IX are coming! 

• Like 1

After last year’s massive disappointment - I only build 1/72 aircraft - I’m hoping that Airfix pinch more subjects from the Frog range and issue a Javelin, Sea Fury, Hornet and Sea Vixen.
But if they don’t then I wonder what Sword are up to. After all, they had the chutzpah to release early/trainer Lightnings on the tail of Airfix’s editions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Classic 315 said:

After last year’s massive disappointment - I only build 1/72 aircraft - I’m hoping that Airfix pinch more subjects from the Frog range and issue a Javelin, Sea Fury, Hornet and Sea Vixen.
But if they don’t then I wonder what Sword are up to. After all, they had the chutzpah to release early/trainer Lightnings on the tail of Airfix’s editions.

I think this year we need to view the list with surprise announcements in mind. After those were revealed this year, I don't think the range was too disappointing.

4 hours ago, Classic 315 said:

OK as long as they don't use the Frog moulds.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

So Airfix have a sale on... some absolute bargains in there. I think it's a very safe assumption this is clearing stock of kits leaving the range, perhaps some will be back with new decal and new parts.

Airfix sale

You aren't kidding! 

I'm slightly surprised to see the 1/48 Buccaneer in the sale, I would have thought they would have flown off the shelves. 

Not particularly surprised to see the 1/48 Lynx there though, helicopters never seem popular (though the Sea King was!). 

I wonder if Airfix will ever get rid of all those 1/72 Polish Banks 😂😂😂

15 hours ago, wellsprop said:

You aren't kidding! 

I'm slightly surprised to see the 1/48 Buccaneer in the sale, I would have thought they would have flown off the shelves. 

Not particularly surprised to see the 1/48 Lynx there though, helicopters never seem popular (though the Sea King was!). 

Airfix hoping for a run on the bank?

OK, I'll get me coat!

• Haha 2

My prediction for Airfix 2024 releases we don’t know about are

1/48

Fairey Battle

FG.1 and/or FGR2 Phantom 

Ark Royal carrier deck section 

Revised molding of Lightning F1 F2 F3 kit to include T-Bird nose to make T4 or T5
Reissue of Lightning F1 F2 F3 and the F2A F6

1/72 New molds

Hampden 

Lincoln 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:28 PM, wellsprop said:

You aren't kidding! 

though lynx must have sold well enough to justify a re pop?

a) New Tool 1/72 NA T-6 / Harvard, HP Hampden, Westland Whirlwind (WW2, not the helicopter)

b) Up or down scale of an existing kit 1/72 Supermarine Walrus

c) Vintage Classic Skyvan

d) Surprise release mid year 1/72 Vought Corsair IV

e) Modification of an existing mold 1/24 Spitfire MkIXe

How come this is in chat and not rumourmonger? Is there too much speculation for it to go there?

Anyway

I've heard talk that we might get some ship stuff, recent social media posts would back that up but it's not really reliable as info

We'll see.

I'm just hoping we'd get some more 1:72

Been slowly transitioning to 1:48 though, so mainly hoping for a phantom right now...

I wish helicopters would get some love, especially in 1:72 but I know the market isn't very big for it.

Just had a thought... starter sets. 

Been a couple years since the simplified Spitfire and Hawk, which are both in the sale, and F35 came after (don't remember if that's in the sale)... so, new simplified starter sets coming?

If so, for aircraft my predictions would be 2 of the following (all 1/72):

Bf109F or G. With no struts on the tail these would be more beginner friendly than an Emil. Would also make sense to replace the Bf109G6 Airfix do at the moment (which would make a far better starter set than the Emil already boxed as one).

P51D. Something American for the starter range that could also have RAF roundels. The current kit has already been sold as a starter so it's a good candidate.

Hurricane Mk.I. Just makes sense don't it?

Eurofighter Typhoon. This would be a logical follow on from the F35, covering the current aircraft of the RAF. 

1 hour ago, KingTiger435 said:

How come this is in chat and not rumourmonger? Is there too much speculation for it to go there?

Anyway

The point of this is to discuss what we think airfix might do and what we would like them to do rather than discussing an announced kit or substantial rumour. And it's one of the most fun threads of the year :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Eurofighter Typhoon. This would be a logical follow on from the F35, covering the current aircraft of the RAF.

I think your starter set list makes a lot of sense, and neatly echos the snap together kits which also fulfil a similarly popular function.

My son has the Typhoon snap kit, and it is engineered more like a typical kit than the others in the range. In styrene, redesigned and retooled at 1/72, it could be quite nice as a kit to be permanently glued together and painted (I often give his sideways glances pondering the same thing).

On 12/29/2023 at 12:42 AM, LN-KEH said:

a) New Tool 1/72 NA T-6 / Harvard, HP Hampden, Westland Whirlwind (WW2, not the helicopter)

b) Up or down scale of an existing kit 1/72 Supermarine Walrus

c) Vintage Classic Skyvan

d) Surprise release mid year 1/72 Vought Corsair IV

e) Modification of an existing mold 1/24 Spitfire MkIXe

You won't get a Whirlwind as there is no extant example and no drawings - and they've already tooled it twice already!

Hampden will coincide with unveiling of the restored example: nobody seems to know when that will be.

A little soon for a new Spitfire - I have a hunch that the next 1/24 would have a swastika if that were allowed.

2 hours ago, Denford said:

You won't get a Whirlwind as there is no extant example and no drawings - and they've already tooled it twice already!

Hampden will coincide with unveiling of the restored example: nobody seems to know when that will be.

A little soon for a new Spitfire - I have a hunch that the next 1/24 would have a swastika if that were allowed.

There is a group working on a replica Whirlwind, so if their CAD work is good enough for 1:1, it should be good enough for 1:72.
Unfortunately, the replica will go a museum I won`t visit on principle - they don`t allow cameras, just sketch book and pencils.

The Whirlwind is a really cool looking aircraft.

https://www.whirlwindfp.org

On 29/12/2023 at 02:00, KingTiger435 said:

This thread is largely a complete waste of time, speculation, wild bottom guesses and wishlists.

All that said, I started it and it's a good laugh. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1