HMS Abelia K184 - Flower Class Corvette 1/350 - Black Cat Models

robgizlu

On 11/7/2023 at 9:38 PM, robgizlu said:

1)  As @dickrd has pointed out the lower hull colour - not white, is likely WA Blue 

2)  The 2 Pdr bandstand is likely white as is evidenced by the contrast with the obvious WA blue on the searchlight platform (Green circle)

3)  The Funnel has a definite divide approx half way down and in truth the cowl vents appear white below up to the cowls themselves which appear Blue (upper Red circle)

4)  The 273 platform is white from the Compass deck upwards.  I have NO idea what the black rectangle is below the lantern - I'm sure it's not a window.  Anyone got any guesses?  The whole compass platform railings are confused and likely have anti-splinter mattresses untidily hung.

5)  Bizzarely the WA blue appears to run in a band from the lower bridge all the way aft past the depth charges that appear blackish against it.  Magnify the pic and see for yourself, with a distinct line visible above the hull side parapet OR am I confusing things here?  HMCS Eyebright definitely had a similar arrangment but in a dark colour ? the Antislip paint extended up onto the superstructure walls.  I can't say that I've noticed this in any other corvettes.  It seems odd painting the superstrucutre  walls next to the deck where it's largely shielded by the hull sides.  (Lower Red circles)

6)  Oddly the ships boat appears dark ? Grey

7)  The 4" gun side splinter protection Boards could be either white or WA blue - It's really difficult to discern.  Following the examples of some other vessels (HMCS Amherst) I'm opting for WA blue

And progress on the hull has slowed as I had some rather nasty sink holes form the portholes I filled that needed refilling sanding, painting and then more sanding sitting too proud.  Damn even with an optivisor the vision is definitley degrading :weep:

Thanks for looking 

Rob

Lots of good observations.

Re 4, the black rectangle.  I think this is an open doorway. The effect is caused by the bottom half being behind a canvas dodger along the lines seen here: 

Chicoutimix

Re 5, something similar on Barrie, Begamot, Bucktouche and Chicotimix also. I did not go any further than C in the alphabet. A sort of protective dado in an area of the paintwork that must have received quite a lot of mechanical abuse from people and depth charges? 

Re 6, if your boat got smashed up in a storm I think you got a fresh one issued in generic dark grey and it stayed that way until you had time to paint it.

One other detail.  I think the angle of the lower edge of the WA blue panel at the aft end of the deckhouse is shallower than in the Pearson illustration 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dickrd said:

Lots of good observations.

Re 4, the black rectangle.  I think this is an open doorway. The effect is caused by the bottom half being behind a canvas dodger along the lines seen here: 

Chicoutimix

Re 5, something similar on Barrie, Begamot, Bucktouche and Chicotimix also. I did not go any further than C in the alphabet. A sort of protective dado in an area of the paintwork that must have received quite a lot of mechanical abuse from people and depth charges? 

Re 6, if your boat got smashed up in a storm I think you got a fresh one issued in generic dark grey and it stayed that way until you had time to paint it.

One other detail.  I think the angle of the lower edge of the WA blue panel at the aft end of the deckhouse is shallower than in the Pearson illustration 

Thanks Dick - Of course,.....a door.  If I had half a brain I might be considered dangerous!

I'm still undecided about the superstructure "Dado" (great word).  It's possible that it's a railing along the length?

Rob

Hull Camo....

Nov 09 2023_5958

Nov 09 2023_5957

And thanks again to @Rich75 for his direction towards HMS Alisma - the rear shots show the lantern tower had cross bracing at the base - thus

Nov 10 2023_5956

Picking off the masking solution was an effort!

Nov 10 2023_5954

Nov 10 2023_5955

On balance I'm not certain it really works - either "painting-in" the wear or hairspray are more effective IMHO

Antifouling - I still see model Corvettes with red lower hulls, though to my mind all the evidence is that they seemed to be predominantly dark - either black or grey.

Nov 11 2023_5953

Ben moulds a convenient hull line which saves the effort of working out where it should start!

Nov 15 2023_5941

The colour is a 50 : 50 mix of 2 of my favourite colours Vallejo Model Air 71.055 and 71.056 - Black Grey and Panzer Dark Grey.

It's starting to look like a proper Corvette.

Kit decals sit without silvering over judicious coats of Klear

Nov 15 2023_5940

The worn and exposed paintwork is augmented with some Vallejo German Camouflage Black brown 70.822.  There'll be some oils and washes to come.

Nov 15 2023_5942

I love the Western approaches Blue - kudos to Peter Scott for having the audacity to push it

More soon 

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 8

I'm enjoying watching this, I've long wanted to do a Corvette, specifically HMS Crocus as skippered by a Kiwi, Lt Cdr John Holme. My initial thoughts were the 1/144 Revell kit but that would involve quite a lot of AM I think, seeing this, even though it is quite small, just under 7" by my calcs, it looks super & I can see it as satisfying my wants nicely. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm enjoying watching this, I've long wanted to do a Corvette, specifically HMS Crocus as skippered by a Kiwi, Lt Cdr John Holme. My initial thoughts were the 1/144 Revell kit but that would involve quite a lot of AM I think, seeing this, even though it is quite small, just under 7" by my calcs, it looks super & I can see it as satisfying my wants nicely. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve

So here's my HMS Crocus in the Revell 1/144 scale...

DSCF7655

If I did her now I'd do the aft colour area as B5 (rather than B6).  One of my first ship models, but you are right, the Black Cat offerings come in at 7 inches or 17.5cm and to my mind are a little more satisfying.  Crocus was a pretty typical Long foc'sle corvette and if you search my WIP you'll get some direction as to her peculiarities.  Black Cat have just released the Long Foc'sle version which would be perfect for Crocus; I'm building it as HMS Mignonette and there's a separate thread going on this here in WIP

Best

Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Broke one of the PE ladders :crying:  so little option but to replace with a 3D printed replacement.  Interestingly Ben :cat:models uses 3D ladders and has reduced the reliance on etch in his New Long Foc'sle Flowers, which I'm sure will please many.

The Bandstand sat flat on multiple supports without too much shouting and ranting

Nov 23 2023_5976

It really is a very detailed model, what with all the hatches and vent pipes

Nov 24 2023_5971

Lots and lots of little pieces :frantic:

Nov 23 2023_5975

Sprayed the DC throwers white and one shot off.  One+ hour searching to no avail :rant:  :suicide:

Searched through all the various spares boxes and finally found I had some spares :yahoo:

The funnel on Abelia ("You're breaking my heart........) had a peculiar aerial support pole at it's front with an inverted "V" support....

Nov 24 2023_5972

And now with the funnel top painted black it really does look like a Flower Corvette.

The funnel stays were fitted - I've taken to using the Modelkasten wire as it's easier and quicker than Bob's Buckles in this instance

The Ship's boats on Abelia, Hibiscus and Alisma amongst others had their platforms further foraward than on Agassiz that this model is based on.  That meant filing through those doors abojve the lower steps - something I should have realised and done earlier @socjo1 - Michal beware!  

Here's a pic of Hibiscus which illustrates the point better than the single Abelia photo

unnamed

Nov 24 2023_5974

Nov 24 2023_5973

And the value of having done the base already is paying dividends as she sits securely for me to work on all the delicate bits, and it is quite a fiddly build.

Little break for now as it's the last little gallivant of the year

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 24/11/2023 at 01:09, robgizlu said:

3D ladders

3D ladders ? 
Am I hearing you right, 3D ladders ?🪜

You mean I won’t have to bend little rungs anymore ?

My life is now complete.:thumbsup:

Jon

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Faraway said:

3D ladders ? 

Jon

https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/royal-deck-accessories/products/1-350-royal-navy-deck-ladders-x-3x-sizes-large

And Ben includes them in the new Long foc'sle models.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

The MM ladders look very good.

I have Mimosa on the way, looking forward to it.

Hopefully, Ben will start producing ladders as an extra.

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

The MM ladders look very good.

I have Mimosa on the way, looking forward to it.

Hopefully, Ben will start producing ladders as an extra.

Jon

@robgizlu wow, Mimosa just arrived, methinks Ben is getting better. Interesting that the bridge is in a black semi transparent material.

Jon

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

3D ladders ? 

Jon

Funny, they seem to know exactly what you want somehow 🤔 I'm off to have a count up....and hope for some quad bofors....!:poke:

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 10:26 AM, robgizlu said:

Antifouling - I still see model Corvettes with red lower hulls, though to my mind all the evidence is that they seemed to be predominantly dark - either black or grey.

Rob, This is not true I'm afraid. A majority were probably red. But I would be very interested to know where "all the evidence" that you have seen is as it needs correcting. Richard 

Edited by dickrd
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:09 AM, robgizlu said:

I've taken to using the Modelkasten wire as it's easier and quicker than Bob's Buckles in this instance

And what does these look like as I need something like that for my Fushimi build?

On 11/24/2023 at 1:09 AM, robgizlu said:

Little break for now as it's the last little gallivant of the year

And he's off and it was going so well :giggle:.

Stuart

• Haha 1