Spot of the day - Part 7

keefr22

I think that part of the problem with BMW is that they kind of got away with the Bangle era stuff.

Not everyone hated it, and some loved it.

Not sure the same will be said about the current look though.

Matt

• Like 4

This morning ,coming back from visiting my old mate, a soft top, with top down, 1957 Morrie 1000. I didn't need to look up the rego to get the year, MM 1957 was a bit of a give away, or not, looked it up to see if there was a photo & it tells me it is 1956, just to be contrary, I didn't notice the wheels, not sure about them. :unsure:

1431322.jpg

Steve.

• Like 8

From the stance I'd guess it's more than the wheels that were changed up.  Maybe there's something fruity under the hood to match the suspension mods?  I hope so!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

didn't notice the wheels, not sure about them. :unsure:

I love the wheels. Don't like the rag top though, always prefer a proper roof over me 'ead...!! :)

Keith

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

Not sure the same will be said about the current look though.

I have to admit I do like some of the current range that others hate, in particular the M3 and M4, the latter in side profile reminds me of an E46 M3... (in the dark. If I squint :) )

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, and forgot again - took the Vitara up to the garage this morning for them to investigate an annoying whining noise it's started making (even when the wife's not in it... :rofl2: ) and waiting at the junction for a gap in the usual rush hour traffic, in amongst the usual modern dross was a lovely, immaculate looking blue Celica (6th gen like the GT4 WRC's). Another of those cars I've not seen for a long time.

Keith

• Like 8

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

an annoying whining noise it's started making (even when the wife's not in it... :rofl2: )

Ooh Keith, you live life right on the edge don't you 🤣

• Haha 4

On 09/01/2024 at 08:32, stevehnz said:

This morning ,coming back from visiting my old mate, a soft top, with top down, 1957 Morrie 1000. I didn't need to look up the rego to get the year, MM 1957 was a bit of a give away, or not, looked it up to see if there was a photo & it tells me it is 1956, just to be contrary, I didn't notice the wheels, not sure about them. :unsure:

1431322.jpg

Steve.

Hmmm, there's something odd there if it's a 1956 or 1957 car because domestic market Moggies at that stage still had trafficators but that doesn't even seem to have blanking plates which an export shell might have . Wheels aside, something else about it looks like a later model. Possibly re-shelled?  

• Like 1

That's definitely at the earliest a '63 when there was a major revamp: larger engine, uprated gearbox, larger diameter brake drums amongst other things and (significantly) revised light clusters front and rear to incorporate amber flashing indicators.  If it's really a '56 it's been not only re-shelled but rewired to take the later lamp clusters.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 8:45 PM, Whofan said:

I went shopping with the wife today, no, it wasn't too bad, she spent more money than I did  😄

However, on the way from and then our car, I saw this Tesla;

IMG_1098

Interesting that it had no visible front number oplate.

IMG_1100

It did have a rear number plate, though.

At least the bonnet is a nice colour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Anteater said:

Possibly re-shelled? 

12 hours ago, Neddy said:

rewired to take the later lamp clusters

I bow to your greater knowledge here, I've no idea how our regs work for this but that's what the rego website says. :shrug:

Steve 

50 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I bow to your greater knowledge here, I've no idea how our regs work for this but that's what the rego website says. :shrug:

Steve 

Regardless of age it's a great example.  Lovely to see one in such good condition. I'd give a lot to see what's under the hood!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:41 PM, Sabrejet said:

Then a really nice VW Variant, which seemed like a good name at the time but now sounds like covid:

What a cracking sight to see , you don't see many 411 or 412 VWs, but these are really rare over here, this is a VW Brasilia , they are a shortened version made in Brazil, with with different engine to the type 4s, in this case usually a 1600 bug engine, looks really cool. Great spot

Chris

• Like 4

Heading into town on Monday, a couple of Jaguars going the other way on the bypass, unfortunately the idiot wires/cheese slicers, depending on whether you drive/ride 4 or 2 wheels, obscured the regos, the 1st was a XK1??, most likely a 1955 XK140, the colour was right but could've been a 120, though it said 140 rather than 120 to me. Closely following it was a C-type, I think probably a replica by its colour of which I have seen noted similar online. Yesterday, passing by while I checked the letter box was a sparkly 1947 Ford Deluxe convertible, a very new resto by the look of the recent rego & today the 1928 Model A roadster thing I reported back in late September, still scruffy looking & I still can't tell you if it has wings or cycle guards. 3rd time lucky perhaps. :shrug:

Steve.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ummm, what be they Steve? 

Keith

What Matt said above, multi cable central reservation barriers, they're becoming increasingly popular in this country as being a slightly more cost effective way of stopping idiots running into people coming the other way. Motor cyclists don't like them much hence the cheese slicer nickname. I guess I'm a bit old school & tend to believe that better education of drivers would fix the problem just as well but there are always those you can't educate & maybe we do need protection against them.

Steve.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Anteater said:

@klubman01: I want to like that MGB GT (Sherpa Coupe) but those anachronistic number plates need to go in the bin.  

Agreed.  The plates don't look right.  

Trevor

7 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Agreed.  The plates don't look right.  

Trevor

Kind of ruin the whole 70s vibe of baby poo, black bumpers and striped deck chairs!

Back in the day (76-77 for R) no one sane wanted the old style (illegal) plates, even before 73 it made your car into an old banger…

• Like 1