Spot of the day - Part 7

keefr22

12 hours ago, chrisr57 said:

A VK big Banger  in Brocks colours  (mmm from the  timid Vauxhall Viceroy do mega machines arise)

That is just :wow:

All the others are stunning too!

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seen yesterday at the optimistically renamed Wonder World in Margate (the Hornby Visitor Centre as was)...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is quite simply the most amazing Mk 1 Cortina I've ever seen.  It's a Cortina Lotus factory-built to full rally spec, one of only ten ever made in this colour.  It came straight off the production line into Ford's Competition dept for completion as a factory team rally car, according to the blurb accompanying the display.  After a 30-year sojourn in a barn somewhere it was found and comprehensively restored by a classic car restoration company in Margate and is currently on loan to Hornby for display in their newly revamped visitor centre.  These pics don't do the colour justice, it's actually bright pillarbox red and looks utterly stunning.

• Like 10

Yes, the colour rendition is a bit off!

Still, looks fabulous, right down to period correct Dunlop SP44 tyres.  IIRC, both Roger Clark, and Vic Elford, drove these for the works team back in the mid-sixties.

Trevor

• Like 1

The leaf spring Lotus shells (homologated mid 65) were strengthened on the main Ford production line and delivered to Boreham, Alan Mann or Team Lotus. About 20 red ones registered under different numbers. All Team Lotus were white/green as were the last 4 Boreham rally cars. Most of the red ones had "KPU" registrations. Registrations were swapped and actual shell histories are impossible to track. Some re-shelled under same registration and some of the registrations used on the newer white cars had previously been on a red car.

It is not impossible that a scrapped shell was sold and then re-registered privately as this one appears to have been and a new car built at Boreham to use the original registration - but any buyer should beware, especially of claims that only 10 were made.

• Like 2

Was in the carport replacing the rear indicator on my wife’s Peugeot, when I heard an interesting engine coming up the road. It was some sort of cafe racer, nice enough. But behind it was a gloriously yellow Lotus Emira, the first I’ve seen. Gorgeous! I’m a bit of an Italo/Francophile when it comes to cars, but the Emira has gone straight onto my Lotto list.

• Like 1

IMG_0314

Quite a surprise. Lovely looking TR6 on the Autoroute to Amsterdam, photo from our Leger coach.

also, on the wya back, but other side of the A16 near Dunkirk,so no photo, a frog eye Sprite followed by a Stag.

• Like 9

What is the collective noun for a gathering of Dutch registered Minis in a Cheshire Forest?

Minis

There were over a dozen parked in the car park to Peckfordham Castle at lunchtime. All bar one I could see with Dutch plates. They seemed to be on. Welsh rally according to stickers 

(lads, the border is about 10 miles away)

Trevor

• Like 5

Nice Citroen BX, although looking very small compared to how I remember them. Not bad for a car which is a third of a century old. This one was stuck in the same traffic as me and so I was ahead and behind it for about quarter of an hour.

53687743426_4212551616_c.jpg

• Like 5

A deLorean on the way into work yesterday.  And then two very shiny new LHD orange McLarens on trade plates on A27 near Worthing.

• Like 3

A two door drop top Chev Bel Air, about 1956-57 by the look of it, spotting while heading to the local hardware emporium to pick up a new cistern washer. I'm leaning toward 1956 as it appeared to have less brightwork around the front than photos of the 1957 cars. Not quite pristine but tidy, in off white/cream over brown with a creamish soft top. Not my choice of colour scheme. :shrug:

Steve.

• Like 6

Yesterday while returning from a walk, a red soft top MGB with its top down, followed by a Saab 9000 soft top, also with its top down & their occupants enjoying a nice mid autumn day, as was I, &  perhaps as a harbinger of the winter to come, a green MGB coupe, all with in about five minutes as I was on the home stretch along the road we live on. Maybe I need to get out & walk more. :D

Steve.

• Like 4

This weekend it's been Truckfest , the annual gathering of all things road haulage. This was the first year at Lincoln Showground after 40 years at Peterborough. Apparently their were over 2000 trucks of all shapes , sizes and eras on show . The weather behaved for once and I had a great day out . Made a change from classic cars .... There were a good selection of restored old lorries , which I like to see , so here's just a few I thought some of you might like , or even driven .

20240505_094435 20240505_094745 20240505_095218 20240505_100400 20240505_115036 20240505_124148 20240505_124643

Gary .

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

This was the first year at Lincoln Showground after 40 years at Peterborough

And it caused utter chaos. Not well organised at all. Cars were apparently even abandoned on the A15 because of the jams. A mate finally got in today rather than 

yesterday, when he gave up after being stuck for an hour or more. I've heard load air horns this afternoon as trucks head home up the A15.

Nice pictures though. The Fox Plant trucks in picture two had a long way to come didn't they? Fox plant is six miles up the road. I live less than a mile from there.

My favourite of your pics is the four axle Foden loaded with the tractors. Very nostalgic.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And it caused utter chaos. Not well organised at all. Cars were apparently even abandoned on the A15 because of the jams. A mate finally got in today rather than 

yesterday, when he gave up after being stuck for an hour or more. I've heard load air horns this afternoon as trucks head home up the A15.

Nice pictures though. The Fox Plant trucks in picture two had a long way to come didn't they? Fox plant is six miles up the road. I live less than a mile from there.

My favourite of your pics is the four axle Foden loaded with the tractors. Very nostalgic.

27 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I know the traffic management wasn't particularly great , but I arrived yesterday morning at about 9am and drove straight into an already packed car park. I turned off the A15 to Ingham and went in behind Scampton as I suspected the A15 would get clogged up . An awful road at quiet times !!

Yes the loaded wagons a reminder from the forgotten art of roping and sheeting up !!

I seem to remember seeing either this Fox Plant Mack , or one like it , hauling their low loaders back in the day . Something we had to do was look at all the machinery in their yard as we pasted on our way down the '15 when I was ( much) younger !!

Gary .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Shelsley Walsh this weekend treated us to no less than four Gilberns:

Always really liked the Invader, especially as Gilbern were our 'local' manufacturer! Unfortunately was never able to find one I could afford that didn't need tons of work!:)

Used to be a really tidy bright red rally prepared one around here, but not seen it for quite a while

• Like 4