new release. 1/48 Hawker Fury

Ivan  Shepel

Nice. Thanks Yvan !

Arsenal Model Group (AMG) 1/48th Hawker Fury kit - ref. 480??

Sprue A

20230429-112136.jpg

Sprue B

20230429-112114.jpg

Sprue C or D ?

20230429-112249.jpg

Sprue E

20230429-112040.jpg

Sprue F

20230429-112058.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Interesting and nice but I am concerned about the size of the mushroom fasteners on the fuselage, they are surely too big, they are as big in diameter as the width of the cooling vents. Just checked out a picture or two and the should be flat not raised, well certainly not like they have them, pity but a sanding stick will work I suppose

also not sure how the exhaust stubs will fit through the slots / holes.

Do Not forget the Airfix kit is quite good, so this will need to match up, and from what I see to be honest I cannot see a vast improvement 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

and from what I see to be honest I cannot see a vast improvement 

Better fabric? Correct dimensions?  The Airfix kit was not even that stellar when released, being based on an unreleased Merit kit. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53874-148-hawker-furies/

"I did a comparison with the Pyro/Likelike Fury and the Airfix Fury with these drawings and surprisingly the Airfix one comes out as the most accurate (or the one with the fewest faults). I have done some correction surgery on both. Here is a photo of the two fuselages.

The nearest is the Airfix one. This required some building up and re contouring under the nose. The top of the nose cowl reshaping and the main cowl top lifting at the front by 1.5mm with a plasticard wedge. 2mm adding to the sternpost and the fuselage stringers, fabric sag reducing. The exhausts are too low and incorrectly spaced"

So there is certainly scope for for a new Fury kit. 

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

Well that's the last of Inpact kits surpassed....

did someone retoool all the pre WW1 kits?  I've not heard of a new tool Flycatcher or Bulldog either, the only one I can recall is the Gladiator.  I've not checked on the Bulldog or Flycatcher though..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

did someone retoool all the pre WW1 kits?  I've not heard of a new tool Flycatcher or Bulldog either, the only one I can recall is the Gladiator.  I've not checked on the Bulldog or Flycatcher though..

Armory produce a flycatcher in 1/48. Released in 2019.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/armory-ar48001-fairey-flycatcher-early-w-jaguar-iii-engine--1169340

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

Oh that this is the precursor to a range of Hawker biplanes: I've always had a soft spot for the Hind, Demon and Hind

AMG have produced the Hart and Demon several years ago, to a very similar standard . This looks like their follow-up. They aren't widely available, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

Interesting and nice but I am concerned about the size of the mushroom fasteners on the fuselage, they are surely too big, they are as big in diameter as the width of the cooling vents. Just checked out a picture or two and the should be flat not raised, well certainly not like they have them, pity but a sanding stick will work I suppose

also not sure how the exhaust stubs fitwill through the slots / holes.

Do Not forget the Airfix kit is quite good, so this will need to match up, and from what I see to be honest I cannot see a vast improvement 

in the photo, the fuselage halves are a Spanish modification, and the exhaust stubs on fury MK1 and MK2

Edited by Ivan Shepel

52 minutes ago, Ivan Shepel said:

in the photo, the fuselage halves are a Spanish modification, and the exhaust stubs on fury MK1 and MK2

Ok thanks for that explanation

3 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Stop with Scalemates, go Britmodeller !  😉

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038526-148-fairey-flycatcher-early-late-floatplane-by-armory-models-group-released/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

2 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

AMG have produced the Hart and Demon several years ago, to a very similar standard . This looks like their follow-up. They aren't widely available, though.

The thread is here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040316-148-hawker-hart-demon-by-arsenal-model-group-amg-hart-demon-released

V.P.

5 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Do not forget the Airfix kit is quite good, so this will need to match up, and from what I see to be honest I cannot see a vast improvement.

I'd have to disagree with that assessment. The Airfix kit might have been OK when it was issued years ago, but if I was building a 1/48 Fury - which I'd love to do - I'd start with this kit over the Airfix one any day (admittedly based only on the pics. in this thread). Yes, the fasteners are over-done, but I can't see much else that I don't like and - as you say - a sanding stick will take care of them pretty quickly.

7 minutes ago, hopkp said:

I'd have to disagree with that assessment. The Airfix kit might have been OK when it was issued years ago, but if I was building a 1/48 Fury - which I'd love to do - I'd start with this kit over the Airfix one any day (admittedly based only on the pics. in this thread). Yes, the fasteners are over-done, but I can't see much else that I don't like and - as you say - a sanding stick will take care of them pretty quickly.

I am more than happy to be proven incorrect, we shall have to wait till it is available, what the price will be and how available they are, as has been said the AMG kits are not that easy to come by, at least in the U.K. and the ones on eBay are not in the budget range of pricing.  Most 1/48 kits including the postage to the U.K. are £60.00 plus, I know that they offer subjects not covered by others and they are limited run from a much smaller company but all things need to be considered.

Always keen to see new kits and guys doing different subjects, so let us see what this is like when it is released.

FWIW there are 3 Arsenal Model Group 1/48th Hawker Furys left at Hannants for a penny less than £62.00 each. In the Netherlands, the Aviation Megastore has 4 versions of the Armory Flycatcher from 44 to 52 Euros, and the AMG Demon for 69 Euros. But point taken, they're not that easy to get. I'll be interested to see how the new kit pans out.

Paul.

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

(...) But point taken, they're not that easy to get. I'll be interested to see how the new kit pans out. (...)

Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=linsal77&store_name=accsgbmodels&_oac=1&_nkw=amg 48

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

The 1/48 AMG Hawker Hart and Demon and the Polikarpov R-5 were well stocked at all the European shops when they were first released, especially the shops in Ukraine and Poland. It seems that AMG only makes one run of their products and if you snooze, you lose.

13 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

FWIW there are 3 Arsenal Model Group 1/48th Hawker Furys left at Hannants for a penny less than £62.00 each. In the Netherlands, the Aviation Megastore has 4 versions of the Armory Flycatcher from 44 to 52 Euros, and the AMG Demon for 69 Euros. But point taken, they're not that easy to get. I'll be interested to see how the new kit pans out.

Paul.

I'd end up buying but probably not building any or all of them if I could get them at any price in Australia. At the moment buing stuff from overseas has become a right pain in the backside. You'll just have to get them and provide a build review for me old mate

Shane

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shane said:

I'd end up buying but probably not building any or all of them if I could get them at any price in Australia. At the moment buing stuff from overseas has become a right pain in the backside. You'll just have to get them and provide a build review for me old mate

Shane

I'll tell Bettelou that when she asks why I need to buy yet another kit.

Good to hear from you Shane.

Cheers,   Paul.

19 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Paul.

Cheaper to buy directly from any shop in UA.

On 13/05/2023 at 18:38, Troy Smith said:

Flycatcher already mentioned, Bulldog by RS