The Merits of American Style (1/72 Arma Hobby P-51B Mustang)

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

but how cruel of you to show up my amateurish modelling

I see no amateurish modelling here, nor on your Flickr stream! Perhaps the gods have intervened however, as just this afternoon, whilst aimlessly tinkering putting the final touches on said P-51H, I managed to break off both topside aerials ,...................... for the third time in the build 😱 They have now become the very last thing to be fitted.

Now that's what's called amateurish!

Terry

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Terry1954 said:

I see no amateurish modelling here, nor on your Flickr stream! Perhaps the gods have intervened however, as just this afternoon, whilst aimlessly tinkering putting the final touches on said P-51H, I managed to break off both topside aerials ,...................... for the third time in the build 😱 They have now become the very last thing to be fitted.

Now that's what's called amateurish!

Oh piffle, shearing off an aerial or two is just something that happens. It's why we don't put the landing gear on until the last possible second, too.

• Like 3

Today was a very long day. Mrs P has her after-work meeting today, which means she gets home at 6, instead of 4:30. Which means I take care of the kids from 3 to 6, alone. (Why I was saddled with this is mainly because I work from home -- for now -- and I'm free, and it's exhausting. It also means that even on my best days, I have to cram eight hours of work into seven.) The weather here was for once quite pleasant, twenty of your degrees Celsius and sunny, which meant that when they were returned to me, my children had spent the better part of the day outside already. This meant they were tired. When my children are tired, they aren't less energetic. They're just unbearable. Winston loses his temper at the drop of a hat and pummels his brother. Grant bursts into tears over everything. So fun. 

I took the boys over to see my mom, since she was begging me to drop by so that they could play with their cousins. The older of my two younger sisters is not like me, at all, and we are not close. Her children are even less like mine. Henry, her oldest, is a few weeks older than Grant, and while Grant is pretty sedate next to Winston, he makes Henry look like a large, flesh-covered barnacle. Henry is the most slow-moving and cautious child I have ever met in my entire life; he's practically sessile. He also, poor little fellow, was born tongue-tied. His parents dithered on whether to correct it surgically until far too late, and as a consequence, Henry can barely talk. It's especially glaring compared to Grant, who's extremely verbal and articulate for a four-year-old. (Last year, when I asked Grant what the difference between Mrs P or me driving him to school was, he replied "the difference between love and hate." Grant is a very dark and mordant child.) The younger of my sister's children, Rosie, is fine. She's just a standard two-year-old. (Notably, my brother-in-law/step-cousin -- long story -- considers Rosie terrifyingly energetic and willful compared to Henry, which is like finding chicken unbearably spicy compared to tofu.) 

Anyway, the end result was my children more or less playing around my sister's children until it was time to take them home so I could grill hot dogs for them. Inexplicably, the neighbor children showed up unbidden in my yard to hang out with my kids, which meant I now had to not only keep an eye on my own children, who kept almost colliding with the grill, because they thirst for death, but also to ensure that the neighbor girl, who is twelve or so*, didn't go in the house, because Mrs P hates her and firmly believes she stole a can of shaving cream from our house (!!!) to make slime (!!!). The suburbs are home to many tales of wonder, just below the surface.

Mrs P was late getting home, because she stopped at the convenience store on the way home, where instead of milk, which we're out of, she picked up some sidewalk chalk for our children. She got back just as we wrapped up dinner and went out to make s'mores, and so I kept the boys from turning their marshmallows into flaming torches while she ate. Then, because I seemed very short with the children, she "took over" and went up to give them their bath and put them to bed. This needed to be done expeditiously, as it was already past their bedtime of 6:30. What actually happened is they played in the tub for an hour while she sat in her bed and played on her phone, until Winston tried to drown Grant in the tub and the screams reminded her that she had some children. At this point I came charging upstairs and got them into their pajamas and read them a chapter from their bedtime story, which is about two children magically transported to England in 1944 to deliver a magic wand to French Resistance fighters, a premise that's utterly wasted on the writing. We then had a short post-mortem so I could explain that agents didn't parachute from Lysanders, and explained how the actual insertions worked, then the children were off to bed and it was eight at night. Then I set out and got a half-gallon of milk from the grocery store, and THEN, dear reader, I returned to work on the Mustang.

There wasn't really much to do tonight, and I've learned the hard way that you shouldn't try and do too much modelling when you're tired, so I just masked the canopy using the kit masks, which were pretty nice as vinyl masks, which I'm not generally a fan of, go -- though I understand the upcoming F-6C boxing will have paper masks, which makes it a must buy for me even if I won't use any of the decal options -- and then sprayed the interior green. 

52021359620_6b1caa29c4_k.jpgPXL_20220422_023801256 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll hopefully mask off the wheel wells and such and prime. I'm thinking of doing some salt weathering, fool that I am, around the wing root. My thinking was some aluminium, salt, primer colour (chromate yellow?), salt, then the olive drab. I don't try a lot of weathering, so I welcome your suggestions on this. 

* Why she hangs out with my kids, I haven't the foggiest. I'm just paranoid enough to not want to leave her or her brother, who's close to her in age, alone with the boys.

• Like 21

59 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Grant is a very dark and mordant child.

Have you bought him copy of Edward Gorey's Gashlycrumb Tinies yet?  A well-liked coworker's youngest son (age 6) has a copy and we bonded over reciting it ("A" is for Amy, who fell down the stairs/ "B" is for Basil, assaulted by bears...).  I bought my fiancée a copy the first Christmas we were together and she didn't run screaming so I figured she was worth keeping around.

At this point I came charging upstairs and got them into their pajamas and read them a chapter from their bedtime story, which is about two children magically transported to England in 1944 to deliver a magic wand to French Resistance fighters, a premise that's utterly wasted on the writing. We then had a short post-mortem so I could explain that agents didn't parachute from Lysanders, and explained how the actual insertions worked

Have they learnt how to use a PIAT yet?  I'm sure Winston is ready and I'll wager Grant could be motivated to have a go.

just masked the canopy using the kit masks, which were pretty nice as vinyl masks, which I'm not generally a fan of

• Like 5

Sorry to double post but for whatever reason couldn't get my cursor beneath the above quote within the same post.  Tape masks are my distinct preference IMHO.  I forgot to use a hairdryer on my own P-51B vinyl masks and they've lifted somewhat, especially the tiny panel atop the windscreen.  I didn't do a preliminary clear coat for insurance, either.  I'm steeling myself to behold utter disaster once they're removed. 

Another rather fine update Edward, thank you.

Ah family stuff too, "you spoil us ambassador"...

Salt weathering?

I kinda like it (when I am foresighted enough to prepare to do some, sadly a rare tale to tell)

Catbuild-painting-b-030.jpg

This picture can be destructed at a word, I dont want to take up Winston's bandwidth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It sounds rather like young Grant would benefit from a little bit of Mr Hilaire Belloc's work. I'm thinking perhaps the 'Cautionary Tales' as an appetiser. He may be a little young to understand some of them yet, but he will certainly grow into them.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Have they learnt how to use a PIAT yet?

Quite agree, about time. Very useful.

At about the same age as your kids I taught my daughters how to salute. A proper British Army salute. My father (WW2 service in the Royal Artillery) had taught me and my brother (who wasn't interested at all). They still (at 36/37) know how but don't put it into practice. Or call me Sir, another tongue-in-cheek suggestion that went down like a lead balloon.

'Up Two, Three, Salute Two Three, Down Two Three' I hope this make some sense. I'm sure you Winston and Grant would love/benefit from the skill. Of course, you might have to teach them the version practiced by your armed forces...

Mustang looks fine, tired modeller notwithstanding.

8 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I forgot to use a hairdryer on my own P-51B vinyl masks

That's a wrinkle I've not heard before, warm setting I assume?

The boys may need help cocking the PIAT but in the words of all Blue Peter* presenters, 'Get an adult to help you'

*(sorry if this makes little sense Edward but happy to explain :) )

Every little addition is a step towards the finish line, it is a mantra I have to believe in or I end up starting another kit.

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

which is like finding chicken unbearably spicy compared to tofu.

My dear Edward, please refrain from such prose. The other chaps in the bar gave me very strange looks when I inexplicably (to them) burst out laughing!

Back when I were a young 'un my mum used reins to keep us in check, as did almost everyone else! You can't run off with a harness attached!

(If you have a big enough hook you can hang 'em on the wall too, just turn the music up!) 

Hope that helps! 😇

Ian

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Have you bought him copy of Edward Gorey's Gashlycrumb Tinies yet?  A well-liked coworker's youngest son (age 6) has a copy and we bonded over reciting it ("A" is for Amy, who fell down the stairs/ "B" is for Basil, assaulted by bears...).  I bought my fiancée a copy the first Christmas we were together and she didn't run screaming so I figured she was worth keeping around.

I'll be honest: that book scared the absolute bejeesus out of me at nine or so, and Grant is plagued by a vivid imagination ("I'm watching six TV shows in my head right now," he once confided in me) and has nightmares, so I'm not sure I care to chance it.

7 hours ago, Rob G said:

It sounds rather like young Grant would benefit from a little bit of Mr Hilaire Belloc's work. I'm thinking perhaps the 'Cautionary Tales' as an appetiser. He may be a little young to understand some of them yet, but he will certainly grow into them.

"Whatever happens/we have got/the Maxim Gun/and they have not."

10 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Have they learnt how to use a PIAT yet?  I'm sure Winston is ready and I'll wager Grant could be motivated to have a go.

Winston is very intrigued by the PIAT, as he is most weapons. Interestingly, I discovered yesterday that Grant retains incredible hand-eye coordination: he throws and catches very well, hearkening back to when he was two and unerringly threw a crystal syrup pitcher into the forehead of Winston, who was tormenting him. Winston, while incredibly physically adept and agile (his joyful, sure-footed climbing has to be seen to be believed) can't throw worth a spit. 

59 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Back when I were a young 'un my mum used reins to keep us in check, as did almost everyone else! You can't run off with a harness attached!

I have vivid memories of my mom walking the four of us through a mall, with my youngest sibling wearing his leash (disguised as a backpack). Mrs P absolutely refused, not in the spirit of Maria Montessori, apparently. My sister did use a leash on Henry, but presumably only because he uses his legs so rarely he has to be slowly dragged from place to place, like the capstone for a pyramid. 

1 hour ago, HAMP man said:

The boys may need help cocking the PIAT but in the words of all Blue Peter* presenters, 'Get an adult to help you'

I can just imagine John Noakes in the ruins of Arnhem with his PIAT, gesturing to the ruins of a 9th SS armoured car, "here's one I made earlier."

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

"My sister did use a leash on Henry, but presumably only because he uses his legs so rarely he has to be slowly dragged from place to place, like the capstone for a pyramid." 

More strange looks! 🤣 :clap2:

I do love your slightly warped, dry, British style, sense of humour and the way you express it so eloquently!

Actually, please do keep it up. Laughter is a great tonic. I can take the strange looks!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can just imagine John Noakes in the ruins of Arnhem with his PIAT, gesturing to the ruins of a 9th SS armoured car, "here's one I made earlier."

You know about Noakes? Then for my money you are a fruit of the Green and Pleasant and were transported to the Windy City by some cruel twist of fate!

(please keep this post from Mrs P, I am old and cannot run as fast as I used).

Box On 

Strickers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Back when I were a young 'un my mum used reins to keep us in check, as did almost everyone else!

Yes, reins, I remember them now. I recall we tried them with our first two (twins), but gave up when they sussed out they could cause havoc by weaving around each other and getting completely twisted up. Imagine if we could have used them on all seven of ours at once, impossible I know as they span close close to 18 years between them ................. but we could have had a whole Huskie team!

I agree with Ian, your excellent prose keeps me smiling on here Edward!

Terry

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

At this point I came charging upstairs and got them into their pajamas and read them a chapter from their bedtime story, which is about two children magically transported to England in 1944 to deliver a magic wand to French Resistance fighters, a premise that's utterly wasted on the writing.

Danger in the Darkest Hour?

• Like 2

Primer on!

As I feared, two of the vinyl masks came off, one (for the landing light) vanishing into the ether, never to be seen again, and the other (for the curved upper frame of the windscreen) appearing only after I'd given up and applied some maskol or equivalent to the location. I believe it was only supply chain difficulties that resulted in their inclusion in this boxing, and I understand the F-6C will have paper masks, so that's definitely going to be the one to get in the future for me. 

52023009459_b929e94aa4_k.jpgPXL_20220422_231901663 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I applied a bit of Mr Dissolving Putty to the seam between clear part and fuselage, which otherwise looked a mite too deep and broad for me to let it go as a panel line. It, uh, looks a bit rude at the moment, though. That aside, things have gone swimmingly. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

OK!

52023480385_347f36b9bc_k.jpgPXL_20220423_021957893 by Edward IX, on Flickr

As you can see, the aluminium and the salt are on for the first layer of my ill-conceived weathering project, and the clear part/fuselage join is sanded down quite nicely. 

A few granules of sand have also been added to the portside flap.

52023215684_8b269ca804_k.jpgPXL_20220423_022013543 by Edward IX, on Flickr

One of the frustrations of having children is that your time -- and in 2022, one's time is often one's most precious resource -- is not your own. I was reflecting today that this kit has come along at a fairly good clip, but in fact I'm already two weeks in, and I have tons of stuff to do yet. If I were building this in 2014, I would already be done, simply because I'd have all weekend free to work on it, instead of the handful of hours I can snatch every week after the children are asleep. One isn't supposed to resent one's children, I know, but I do, deeply. The financial burden is manageable, because I can certainly make economies, but the time, that I'll never get back. The inability to even read a book while they're awake (because if not watched closely, they fight or destroy something) is one of my deepest, most profound frustrations. I could never hate my children, of course. But sometimes I hate them more than anything. How terrible.

• Like 16
  • Sad 1

Yellow on!

52023889501_0047f4178e_k.jpgPXL_20220423_130712145 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The kids had [hideously expensive] swimming this morning, so Mrs P has hauled them off there.

"I don't like swimming," Winston protested to me this morning. "Can you dis-enroll me?"

"Okay, next time, we'll put you in drowning class, it's much cheaper."

"Yeah, and there's only one class." He's a pretty smart kid.

• Like 16
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

"Yeah, and there's only one class." He's a pretty smart kid.

And exhibiting his father's noir humour. 

Pandering to us glacial builders is kind of you too

Box On

Strickers

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"Yeah, and there's only one class." He's a pretty smart kid.

I remember the head of a selective school being interviewed once about how he spotted potential in a 10/11 year old, especially as more privileged kids had lots of tutoring for the entrance exam, and he said the sure indicator at that age, regardless of exam results, was a mastery of ironic humour.

• Like 3

Long day and I'm exhausted. Mrs P took the kids to swimming, and fired up with a burst of energy, I cleaned both bathrooms, vacuumed the downstairs, and got some of the windows cleaned off. When they got back I went and got groceries and came back and made lunch, then we took the kids to the park where we had to hang out with Other Parents (ugh) from Mrs P's school for three hours, then we went straight to the beach to meet even more Other Parents for another hour, and THEN we went and had pizza (yay!) at an Other Parents' house (no!). I tried very hard to be patient and loving all day, but I think if Winston asked "why?" one more time, I would have killed him. 

I was supposed to do the white bands first, but fatigue overcame me and I forgot, so I sprayed the neutral grey, which, as Colourcoats is wont to do, went on beautifully. 

52025869770_acf0dea25c_k.jpgPXL_20220424_033824828 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52025390418_823ce2081f_k.jpgPXL_20220424_033950311 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The camera makes it look a bit too dark, I think .

• Like 20

Looking nice mate, the undercarriage bay masking worked beautifully B) 

Neutral Gray always seems darker to me than my memory of it, every time I use it I end up thinking "Wow that's really quite a dark grey*" :D I think the white background of the instruction sheet may be influencing your perception a little too.

Cheers,

Stew

* Actually now I think of it that always happens with the Italian Grigio Mimetico too, it seems unneccessarily dark for an underside colour. The only underside grey that conforms to my mental picture of it is Medium Sea Grey.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2022 at 7:33 PM, Procopius said:

If I were building this in 2014, I would already be done, simply because I'd have all weekend free to work on it, instead of the handful of hours I can snatch every week after the children are asleep. One isn't supposed to resent one's children, I know, but I do, deeply. The financial burden is manageable, because I can certainly make economies, but the time, that I'll never get back.

I'm right there with you.  I am particularly sensitive about time (especially because I have a job with a schedule consisting of 10-hour workdays. ) and agree with you wholeheartedly with every statement here.  However, I have to say now that my youngest is 10 and my oldest is 19, a lot more time has appeared in my life in the last couple of years... so hang in there.  (although the time has come back, the money seems to disappear more easily now, but time is more important, so I don't complain  about that a lot).

This is looking very nice.  I really like how the landing gear bays turned out.  I'm curious to see how your salt weathering turns out.  I've seen some seriously impressive paint chipping achieved with salt weathering, but my attempts were underwhelming, partially because the salt would blow off in some cases.

• Like 3