Hawker Horsley, Vacform Tutorial

11 hours ago, Martian said:

I'm sure you have all got bored with flying surfaces

Oh, yes! But on my current build, not yours. Thank goodness that bit is done!

ย 

That's a good point about the overall liquid cement 'finish' - something that I haven't yet tried to do, but perhaps really ought to. I'll put it into the mental 'must try that' file.

ย 

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Iโ€™ve been similar this week as furlough has got to me. My ts11 arrived today and I managed to snap off the tailpipe whilst removing the parts from the sheet. I built a wing but havenโ€™t thinned the wing properly I dontย think . Isnโ€™t bad but more vintage matchbox. I found removing the parts easy but they donโ€™t fit at all. However Iโ€™m enjoying actually modelling and realising Iโ€™m not that good at it! More to learn!ย 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:48 AM, Chaotic Mike said:

I don't know what this says about me, but right up until now I had interpreted 'South of Belgium' as meaning CC was being shy about his location, but that it *wasn't* in Belgium, and somewhere South of it. *Not* the rather more obvious 'in Belgium, somewhere in its South'.ย  This is why we have invented formal languages in computer science that are allegedly not open to misinterpretation!ย 

Hello Mike,

Put this pic on a Belgium map and you will know...:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

And See my dear Tentacled one what I drank today....:whistle:

IMG_20200608_203950

Nonetheless, I'm a bit shy... A gentle kid indeed...:rofl2:

Fnaaar fnaaar !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Wince said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Iโ€™ve been similar this week as furlough has got to me. My ts11 arrived today and I managed to snap off the tailpipe whilst removing the parts from the sheet. I built a wing but havenโ€™t thinned the wing properly I dontย think . Isnโ€™t bad but more vintage matchbox. I found removing the parts easy but they donโ€™t fit at all. However Iโ€™m enjoying actually modelling and realising Iโ€™m not that good at it! More to learn!ย 

Thanks Wince. The fact that you are enjoying your modelling is what matters most. Skills develop with time. Put a picture up of what is giving you trouble and I'm sure we will think of a way round it.

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

• Like 2

Cheers Martian. Vacuforms are fun though and are remarkably like conventional kits when cut out! Mine has great detail on it and even managed to repair the squashed canopy with hot water. I was relieved to find some white metal landing gear and can use my spare tiny hobby boss hurricane wheels rather than suffer the kit vac wheels.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mike,

Put this pic on a Belgium map and you will know...:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

And See my dear Tentacled one what I drank today....:whistle:

IMG_20200608_203950

Nonetheless, I'm a bit shy... A gentle kid indeed...:rofl2:

Fnaaar fnaaar !!

Sincerely.

CC

ย 

Looks like the Euro version of Buckfast.

ย 

:rofl:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:
On 6/7/2020 at 8:07 AM, Marklo said:

ย 

The brother or the Dalek?ย 

Ah now I see, wasnโ€™t reading it right. They say friends are the family you choose if you could. Alas the Dalek could be replaced ( sort of) but not my elder brother. :)ย who is still doing a sterling job of being our black sheep :(ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

If I remember my Dr Who lore arenโ€™t all Daleks cloned.

Originally, at their beginnings, yes. It was a way to get the species kick started.ย  However I recall a Dalek being interviewed on a BBC chat show (it might have been Russel Harty) saying that Daleks do breed but he did not want to go into the details on air as it was supposed to be a family show and he didn't want to upset anybody.ย :dalek1:

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

• Haha 4

On a semi related note,ย ย all bananas are also cloned. Or at least the ones you see in the shops, cavendish isย the variety and apparently itโ€™s a different banana from those grown in the 1940s and earlier and many farmers are worried that if it were to get wiped out that we may have trouble finding a suitable banana variety with which to replace it.ย 
ย 

Now what was that comment onย mental health about?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Thanks for continuing the thread Martian, have just caught up again.ย  I haven't had time to do my vacform Tucano experiment yet.ย  Just been trying to finish some stalled models but the mancave is now useable wahoo.

I hope you are feeling okay fella.

ย 

Great work on the top wing btw.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

On a semi related note,ย ย all bananas are also cloned. Or at least the ones you see in the shops, cavendish isย the variety and apparently itโ€™s a different banana from those grown in the 1940s and earlier and many farmers are worried that if it were to get wiped out that we may have trouble finding a suitable banana variety with which to replace it.ย 
ย 

Now what was that comment onย mental health about?

I have had depression and fibromyalgia for over twenty five years now and every now and then, one or both get on top of me. I have learnt that it is best all round to be up front and let people know when I am struggling. Not for sympathy as that does no good at all but in order that people know why a thread may have gone quiet for a bit, which is only fair if they have been taking the time and trouble to follow it and to get involved.

21 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks for continuing the thread Martian, have just caught up again.ย  I haven't had time to do my vacform Tucano experiment yet.ย  Just been trying to finish some stalled models but the mancave is now useable wahoo.

I hope you are feeling okay fella.

ย 

Great work on the top wing btw.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, I feel a tad better today, I am allowed to vary my medication within prescribed limits, and so upped my dosage a bit. I am very tired but have managed to join in with some of the banter on my threads. Laughter always helps somewhat.

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Martian said:

I have had depression and fibromyalgia for over twenty five years now and every now and then, one or both get on top of me. I have learnt that it is best all round to be up front and let people know when I am struggling. Not for sympathy as that does no good at all but in order that people know why a thread may have gone quiet for a bit, which is only fair if they have been taking the time and trouble to follow it and to get involved.

Thanks Chris, I feel a tad better today, I am allowed to vary my medication within prescribed limits, and so upped my dosage a bit. I am very tired but have managed to join in with some of the banter on my threads. Laughter always helps somewhat.

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

Glad you are feeling a bit better, but I can tell you are not fully better as you didn't tell me off for not getting any of the vacform Tucano experiment done!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Hope you get back on top soon fella

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Martianย Iโ€™m motoring on with my Iskra. I have a twist in fuselage that hot water hasnโ€™t fixed and have already cracked the fuselage (repaired) but thanks to your tutorials Iโ€™m discovering proper modelling. They are so much fun to do and will be seeking more in the future I think! Pics tomorrowย 

• Like 2

As promised, I have begun work on the fuselage. I have marked out where I want bulkheads to go on the model and begun to cut and fit them. This procedure is no different to what we would do on an injection moulded kit. I cut one half to fit one side of the fuselage to fit, and glue it in place. Once dry, I mark the halfway point on the bulkhead and draw the other side on the plastic card slightly oversize. I then just whittle away until a near perfect fit is achieved. I tend to eyeball the shapes of my bulkheads, been at this game too long I guess but you may want to use a profile gauge instead. The most important thing here though is to get the best fit you possibly can. It adds to the strength of the model and prevents flexing of the fuselage. Even now with only the cockpit area done, there has been a significant strengthening of the fuselage. Wings that require ribs and spars are treated in exactly the same manner.

ย 

I have also got the tops of the main planes fitted with their ribs and riblets and another twenty four hours to cure should see these ready for sanding down.

ย 

Thanks for looking

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

ย 

033.jpg

ย 

034.jpg

ย 

035.jpg

ย 

032.jpg

• Like 13

Probably because of theย wide fuselage and the long nose. Good visibility by the pilot is requisite in a torpedo bomber (and for landing). There is also space at the side for the observer /gunner to communicate, (tea and biccie sir). The wide under-carriage suggests that the Torpedo role was alwaysย envisaged. The crew grouping of the Horsleyย and Yeovill makes better sense than in theirย contemporary the Berkeley.

ย 

John

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

I just have to ask the obvious question. Is the pilots cockpit deliberately eccentric? And if so why?

Yes it is deliberate. @John Aero's post sums the reasons up perfectly.

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

• Like 1

How could I miss this one! Having built a total of three vacforms in my whole life (one 30 years ago, and two quite recently) a tutorial thread like this is a must for me as I have around half a dozen others lurking in a box somewhere, so maybe this will inspire me to dust another one off..........

ย 

Great stuff her Martian.

ย 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

How could I miss this one! Having built a total of three vacforms in my whole life (one 30 years ago, and two quite recently) a tutorial thread like this is a must for me as I have around half a dozen others lurking in a box somewhere, so maybe this will inspire me to dust another one off..........

ย 

Great stuff her Martian.

ย 

Terry

Evil Child! See what you miss if you don't pay attention in class! Go to the dunces cornerย :dunce: and take a thousand lines "I must pay more attention to teacher, lest he confiscates my vacform stash.*

ย 

Martianย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

ย 

*If the stash includes a Saro Lerwick or Saro London, then they are already forfeit!

• Haha 5

505406FB-C6D6-4091-AE31-62E64F3A6779

@Martianย my first vac form and thanks to your tutorial! I didnโ€™t use bulkheads but used milliput to bulk fuselage. It will be a diorama piece and is rough up close but never thought I could ever build a vac form til I read your tutorial. Iโ€™m very grateful and owe a pint if I ever get to Telford!ย 

• Like 8