Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

Well I'm stuck on the starting blocks. I have to work this weekend. 

I will have a word to the boss and see if he will let me have a few hours....

He is a tough old fellow so I might have to kick him in the shins a few times to get some co-operation .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Well I'm stuck on the starting blocks. I have to work this weekend. 

I will have a word to the boss and see if he will let me have a few hours....

He is a tough old fellow so I might have to kick him in the shins a few times to get some co-operation .

The engine's overheating and so am I. Either we stand down or blow up. Now which do you want?

To be honest I need to get paint on my two Seafires, but I might just start prepping my Hurricane - 213 Sqn AK°U Serial unknown..  SLt DM Jeram..

• Like 1

I note with sadness the UK's media is further cementing the Myth of the Spitfire into position.Poor old Hurricanes and Defiants, always forgotten.

;)

It might be fun, actually, to keep a headcount of the types being built for the GB.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

It might be fun, actually, to keep a headcount of the types being built for the GB.

In 1/72 Arma Hobby's new Hurricane might swell the ranks for that type and the Revell Ju88A-1 should result in a few more of those compared to the 2015 75th BoB Anniversary Group Build. Actually it's a pretty good scene for 1/72 BoB fans at present, all the major types being represented by new-ish tool mainstream kits of very good quality - ironically the oldest and most primitive probably being the Airfix Spitfire.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Kicking ‘yourself’ in the shins Greg... that’s a good trick, I suppose you could use your back heals? I’m sure you’ll be able to find the time to make a start.. even I got some (.. a few hours) in! 

Cheers.. Dave

40 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I note with sadness the UK's media is further cementing the Myth of the Spitfire into position.Poor old Hurricanes and Defiants, always forgotten.

;)

At least it's remembered in the UK. Here in Australia there's been no coverage that I've seen.

• Sad 2

Just for fun, and not at all scientific, here’s a quick headcount of build threads as the GB kicks off.

Spitfire 13

Hurricane 18

Defiant 5

Gladiator 1

Blenheim 3

Beaufighter 1

Bf109 12

Bf110 3

Ju8u 0

Ju88 3

Do17 3

He111 1

CR42 2

G50 1

BR20 1

Non-aircraft 1

Interesting. Not one Stuka yet, but Hurricanes powering ahead, with Emils and Spits coming up from behind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, MattG said:

At least it's remembered in the UK. Here in Australia there's been no coverage that I've seen.

Partly it's due to the Battle falling into the current myth of British exceptionalness.  The fact that the RAF of the BoB was multinational is usually less than emphasised in the mainstream, occasionally there would be comments about Polish or Czech pilots.  Obviously the aero and modelling enthusiasts and press are more nuanced in their knowledge, but that's of no interest to mainstream media. 

One could equally point out Gallipolli is virtually unknown to the UK public, it doesn't figure in the national myth.

• Like 2

In my Battle library, I have a couple of period publications.

50096029613_5838b4e55a_b.jpg

Hell's Corner 1940 was published after 1940, as was the Air Ministry booklet. Interesting to note the AM publication shows the Battle period as August to October. I understand the 10 July date for the start was the idea of Dowding.

50096607816_4d1ba4c7dd_b.jpg

From the AM booklet, the mythical He113s make an appearance. Is anyone planning a build for the GB?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MattG said:

You could watch this? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

I saw you beat me to it Heather, but I'm a statistician and couldn't resist starting to count when you initially mentioned this, so here's my quick take on the count!  No He115s so far either.  And they types with other group builds this year (Stuka, He111) are under-represented.  I will partly fix this later as I'm planning a Ju87 when I finish the Blenheim.

Matt

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Partly it's due to the Battle falling into the current myth of British exceptionalness.  The fact that the RAF of the BoB was multinational is usually less than emphasised in the mainstream, occasionally there would be comments about Polish or Czech pilots.  Obviously the aero and modelling enthusiasts and press are more nuanced in their knowledge, but that's of no interest to mainstream media. 

One could equally point out Gallipolli is virtually unknown to the UK public, it doesn't figure in the national myth.

Yes, exactly right and very well put. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

It must have amused the Nazi propaganda corps to read that "at least three" of them had been shot down over Britain :) 

Cheers,

Stew

I have been reading through the Operations Record Books for the Blenheim squadrons as part of the research for one of my builds, and the number of references to He113s is quite astounding - in the 1940 records they seem to be mentioned almost as often as Bf109s!

Matt

• Like 1