"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

On the topic of barrel length, this site gives the overall length as 40 inches (1.016m) with a barrel length of 24 inches (0. 610m) (but it's not clear how much of the barrel might be inside the body, if you see what I mean). So a first cut would suggest the overall  length of gun should be 1016/48 = 21mm.

It is really coming together now. Love the rivets! Don't know why Airfix stopped doing them :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

first off those resin barrel look good, but I used a set of Mater Brass barrels on my 1/48 Mosquito

Another vote for the Master barrels from me Johnny, they're absolutely gorgeous, much, much better than those (warped) resin ones.....

Lovely work on the cockpit, looks absolutely stunning!

And tell your son his hat is really cool!!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CJP said:

Really like the colours in the cockpit and pilots seat - the wing looks awesome with the flap area all primed

CJP

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Johnny, coming along well.

As for the barrels, it would probably be worth doing an A/B  check with the turret canopy in place.

See what is the more realistic.

Simon.

Good idea!

6 hours ago, Biggu said:

Johnnie, stupendous work..............................I have two things.............. first off those resin barrel look good, but I used a set of Mater Brass barrels on my 1/48 Mosquito, and have a set for my 1/32 Mosquito, and for all the fine PE work you have done on this Lanc, may I suggest you look into the Master Brass barrels, I think you will be pleased with what you see and they will be the fine details needed to make this Lanc even more fabulous, for me , personally, I think the resin ones are not up to snuff, for the level of detail, you have accomplished on this aircraft.....................also could you enlighten me on the ppp putty you use, seems to me I have been living in a cave and not sure what it is, as it looks to be the stuff, I may have to get........your work is stunning ........cheers from across the pond

Jeff

Thanks for your very kind words. I know what you mean about the barrels in that pic but wait for it. 🕺 it’s amazing what a bit of bending and a spot of primer can do.  And about the PPP it’s perfect Plastic Putty. You’ll be able to get it from Amazon. It’s a nice paste that can get smoothed with a damp bud or sanded when dry. It’s really great stuff but not for everything.

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Admirable anti-gap policy in play Johnny - that canopy look huuuge enough to grow tomatoes under! I'd have to agree with

I reckon work of your quality here needs something more than the tentative look of that resin.

Thanks. I’m sure you’ll like the look of em in the next post.

5 hours ago, Biggu said:

I totally agree, with the level of detail, the resin ones , as good as they are, might detract a little, as it is all in the details... just MHO

The metal ones do look good. 😃

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

On the topic of barrel length, this site gives the overall length as 40 inches (1.016m) with a barrel length of 24 inches (0. 610m) (but it's not clear how much of the barrel might be inside the body, if you see what I mean). So a first cut would suggest the overall  length of gun should be 1016/48 = 21mm.

It is really coming together now. Love the rivets! Don't know why Airfix stopped doing them :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks. I took an eyeball at the photo I have. The Tamiya one looked too short to me. Thanks for all the info too. 😃

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Another vote for the Master barrels from me Johnny, they're absolutely gorgeous, much, much better than those (warped) resin ones.....

Lovely work on the cockpit, looks absolutely stunning!

And tell your son his hat is really cool!!

Keith

Yes that photo wasn’t very flattering. 🤔

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm with the boys I think. Look at these beauties:

MR48026.jpg?t=

£7.40 for four at Hannants here. Time to get your wallet out, sorry Johnny, but she deserves it eh?

You swine ! 😅

4 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice barrels! :)

Håkan

Thankyou sir.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll add my tupenn'orth of agreement that those resin barrels aren't quite "it". I think it's the flash suppressors, or the lack of a distinct representation thereof. The Master Model rendition looks very swizz: http://www.master-model.pl/product/am-48-026.html

(Sorry, by the time that posted I was way behind the curve)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the info guys. I did have a look and made a decision on the barrels. Here look.

42487894702_7347d865b6_b.jpg

the kit part. ( @TheBaron ) 😉 looks too short so I left em long.

to fe fair the pic of the resin set looks awful but with a bit of love they scrub up rather well.

41637542965_3f86648536_b.jpg

under back paint and weatherd they will look every bit as good as the metal ones. 

A few more bits got done. Aaaargh just remembered I didn’t take a snap of the canopy in place. 😣 never mind, more for next time. Well anyway this part starts off easy ish. All those little bits need a bendin’

41637543125_d9495fab3d_b.jpg

But getting these bits in place took me nearly 40minutes. Lots of Anglo Saxon! 🤯

41637543105_1ddaa49e42_b.jpg

its soooooo fiddly. If you do attempt this have some time spare at this point.

the main swivel part got primed too.

i did the belts for this as well.

maybe more later.

hope you’re all having a splendid weekend chums.

johnny resin for the win. 🤪

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 17

Lovely job in the canopy.

I'm afraid I have to add my name to the list of recommenders for the metal barrels. I even prefer them on my 1:72 builds, they're that much better!

Ian

edit: You posted that last post as I was typing  this reply, so please ignore it! 

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely job in the canopy.

I'm afraid I have to add my name to the list of recommenders for the metal barrels. I even prefer them on my 1:72 builds, they're that much better!

Ian

edit: You posted that last post as I was typing  this reply, so please ignore it! 

No problemo. 😃

and thanks. Does that mean I has a vote for the resin? 🤗

• Haha 1

metal barrels............. 6 ................... Resin barrels................not so much.................... Johnny are you feeling the pressure Mate?? LOL!!!!:happy:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

metal barrels............. 6 ................... Resin barrels................not so much.................... Johnny are you feeling the pressure Mate?? LOL!!!!:happy:

Not really. I’ve already paid for these ones and I’ll need eight. 😫 I think thevresin ones actually look good now they’re in place. 😮

• Like 5

Well, it is good you didn't succumb to the pressure, it is, after all YOUR airplane, and no matter what , it does look top drawer, and I'm sure what ever way you do go, it will be an excellent result....... and you are the one who has to be happy with the final product.......... so Press On Regardless......  #7 Squadron motto, my old late good friend, Group Captain Hamish Mahaddie taught me that one....  as always, I'm looking forward to your next update......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I think the resin ones actually look good now they’re in place.

Agreed - good job Johnny, great save :) 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I think thevresin ones actually look good now they’re in place😮

Right on!

Give me modelling Skills over online retail any day!

🌟🌟🌟

PS, I finally tracked some micro-sawblades down, you know, like your little Dexter thingy...

IMG_20180602_183222

Cool....😎

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Biggu said:

Well, it is good you didn't succumb to the pressure, it is, after all YOUR airplane, and no matter what , it does look top drawer, and I'm sure what ever way you do go, it will be an excellent result....... and you are the one who has to be happy with the final product.......... so Press On Regardless......  #7 Squadron motto, my old late good friend, Group Captain Hamish Mahaddie taught me that one....  as always, I'm looking forward to your next update......

Thanks. 😃 that’s a great motto. 

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Agreed - good job Johnny, great save :) 

Thanks Mr B.

14 hours ago, giemme said:

I agree too, good job J! :thumbsup: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I also agree - and also that you've done a great job on scrubbing up those resin barrels Johnny, massive improvement now they're in place! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks. They did look a bit bendy before. 

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Right on!

Give me modelling Skills over online retail any day!

🌟🌟🌟

PS, I finally tracked some micro-sawblades down, you know, like your little Dexter thingy...

IMG_20180602_183222

Cool....😎

Indeed. Ooh they look good. Do they work well?

• Like 2

Thanks for all your kind words. Now the kitchen is out of the way I can spent a little more time on the Lanc. I got the front turret painted and weathered.

42515472292_1698a97f40_b.jpg

She looks ok to me. 

42515472092_07ec14b1d6_b.jpg

beware, yo can fit the swivel section afterwards but it’s a ruddy right fit. I needed to touch up afterwards. (Steady Ced) 😉 I also got a new addition to the cave.

41845118104_4bcb299a89_b.jpg

Gemma’s old DAB Radio.  6 music makes everything better I find. 😄

this bit got painted and glued.

41845117534_f39a384628_b.jpg

although after drying it didn’t fit. 😣 I had to carefully snip the end sections off that sat on the lip. A bit scary but I managed it.

42567244891_55ece826ee_b.jpg

I started masking the canopy.

42515472452_fb0364cb05_b.jpg

the fit is better than it looks but I will fair it in with PPP after maskingwith no fear of white showing through. 😃 Here’s a quick dry fit.

41845117974_29c8af678d_b.jpg

the turret cowl is a great fit which is making me think is I should paint it separately. As of now I think I’ll glue it all in but I’ll sleep on it. The guns look about the right length though. 😺

aley hoop. That’s enough for tonight. Thanks for dropping by.

all the best and Happy Modelling chums.

Johnny.

• Like 19

I may, perhaps, be somewhat biased here. But I feel that Johnny captures more than 'X' millimetres in his creations. I feel that he epitomises the soul and character of his subject. It is the very reason I first contacted him. It is why I have been proud to discuss his progress with my colleagues, and to have laughed with them as I lay on the hangar floor taking pics at odd angles. What he creates is more than the sum of the parts, so crack on Johnny, the first beer is on me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

41845118104_4bcb299a89_b.jpg

Gemma’s old DAB Radio.  6 music makes everything better I find. 😄

That looks great. '70 style and I love that kind for memories. I hate the ordinary playlist of my usual broadcast station at the moment, but they are very good with the rest. I'm glad that I have my music on some other mediums. So I can switch between radio and my favourite music.

By the way great job on that by now. Top notch. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most excellent job on the clear parts, Johnny! :worthy: :clap:

It all looks neat and tidy, too - and shaping up properly 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Do they work well?

Working a treat so far.

I've only tried the big "coarse" one up the sides of ailerons etc.

Trouble reading the grades etched on each one WITH my bifocals on- think it is 41tpi. Finer is 68tpi.

Airwaves razor saw set.

Frome Model Centre had them at Salisbury Show.

Just the job!😃

• Like 2