Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

I have ordered a couple of kits that I can't see on the current list, F166 'Spirit of Saint Louis' and F256 Westland Lynx, they are on the way and should be with me later in the week. When they are in my grubby mitts, I have to decide which to do as a second build, but I guess it will also depend on how much time I have left once the Sea Vixen is finished. :)

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 7:07 PM, Aardvark said:

The next one will probably be a revision of my decals FROG/NOVO

So, revision my FROG/NOVO decal:

20190702-174636.jpg

Differences with FROG/NOVO &  late USSR cooperative decal:

20190702-195414.jpg

It's no decal, it's sticker:

20190702-195630.jpg

And very interesting, defective decal FROG/NOVO:

20190702-195601.jpg

In principle, this decal no need to me:

20190702-175546.jpg

But unfortunately, I can not put them in an envelope and send to any member of the Britmodeller who will be interested in them....Just because where I live there is no post mail with the outside world.

🤗

Therefore, the photos of these decals are placed in this topic and not here:

And of course nothing can be sent by post mail to me.

🤗

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

I'm not sure yet, but maybe I will join this GB. Of course with car door Typhoon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob S said:

Whilst I respect what Scalemates is trying to achieve I would have thought that the definitive Frog Kit List/s were compiled some time ago by Dennis Teague (I think it was) in Scale Models magazine January and July 1983.  

I don't have my copies here but perhaps someone has and reproduce them here (if allowable that is).  

The book FROG Model Aircraft 1932 to 1976 (New Cavendish Books, 1989) by Richard Lines (who was one of the family who owned FROG) and Leif Hellström contains a more complete list than Dennis Teague's one (it identifies different box styles, includes production figures for the period from 1963 onwards and gives details of project numbers assigned by FROG for kits that were never actually produced) and also has a list of FROGspawn reissues by other companies up to 1988 or thereabouts. However, it isn't completely correct, so can't be called definitive either.

Edited by Richard Humm
Correcting spelling
  • Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 18:12, CliffB said:

Does anybody fancy building this in the GB?

P1100760.jpg

If you're seriously interested, I'd be happy to supply for the cost of the postage.

It's unstarted and all the parts are there (but no stand), although the fuselage parts are quite grubby.  Nothing that a gentle sand wouldn't fix.  The decals are intact but quite badly yellowed.

I'm currently weeding out my stash and disposing of stuff that's too big to fit my cabinets.  Most will go onto eBay, but I'd prefer to see this one built!

Please PM me if you need more info.  I won't be offended if there are no takers ;)

UPDATE

++ TonyW has kindly offered to accept the challenge and furthermore has insisted on paying for the privilege!  Thanks Tony - top man :) ++

Cheers

Cliff

I have the NOVO boxing, and the Caravelle and VC10. Thankfully I also have aftermarket decals for all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

obviously you are completely free to choose which kit,

No, I am limited only to those sets of FROG / NOVO that I have in the collection or those that are not included with the collection, but just stay at home from the 80s-90s.

FROG/NOVO for collection it's only:

Sea Venom, Sea Vixen & Javeline.

But these models need a serious approach.  With a serious approach, I will not meet the terms of GB.

So, it remains to take a break from my jet fighters😨 and building  some of these "sewing machines with propeller" just for loose!

The main thing is that the community would periodically beat my hands when I try to improve something and once a week held exorcism sessions to expel the demon of perfectionism from me! 😁😁😁

18 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

however a car or boat would be especially welcome !

About car or boat, have anecdote!

The grandson came to his grandfather in the village and asked him:
 - Grandpa, do people in the village say you have a automatic rifle  you buried in the garden after WW2? ..
 - People lie! ...
 - Grandpa, people in the village speak in your garden after WW2

machine gun

you buried?
 - People lie!...

- Grandpa, people in the village

speak in your garden after WW2

a grenade launcher you buried?
 - People lie! ...

- Grandfather, people in the village speak in your garden after WW2 tank you buried?
 - But what is not, is not! 

😁

If seriously. I have no models FROG/NOVO 

cars left.  Models FROG/NOVO car are now very big rarity with a crazy price. And their price will only grow, because the mould are destroyed.

B.R.

Serge

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Rob,

Until a few days ago I was unaware Frog ever did that kit, though I can see it on the Cocardes list of kits designed by Frog and boxed by somebody else after their demise. I think somebody must have mentioned it somewhere on this build project though I cannot remember where. Certainly I have never seen it built so here is your chance if you can find one.

As far as I can see it has been discussed on BM at least once

and of course over on the Frog Model Aircraft website

https://www.frogmodelaircraft.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=209

Somewhere I've got a Russian production kit from the late 80s from a penpal.  Must make an effort to find it.  Sadly no chance I'll have the time to build it if I do find it.  

13 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have the NOVO boxing, and the Caravelle and VC10. Thankfully I also have aftermarket decals for all.

Now a VC10 would look quite spectacular (Hint)!

• Like 1

Postie has delivered these this morning. With its surprisingly low parts count and diminutive stature, I am going to commit to 'Spirit of St Louis' as my second entry to the group build, then if there is time I will start the Lynx.

48187990231_90766b90b3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

I know that a Bristol 138 is being built, but I wondered if I could add another one. I started work on the Novo version in 1978, but got no further than sticking the wings and tailplanes together, largely because my first marriage went south. By the time I got sorted out, other projects had come along and the 138 was forgotten, but has travelled around with me. It has acquired a Matchbox Pegasus engine (from a Swordfish ) and some better decals.  The kit engine looks like a dowel into which a number of machine screws with their heads removed have been inserted.

Edited by Mr T
Inability to proof read
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I know that a Bristol 138 is being built, but I wondered if I could add another one

Though I'm not the host i would probably think it would be ok. Im doing one of two buccaneers. I think its a case of "the more the merrier" here. 

• Like 2

Some time ago I said that this build probably would not beat the Airfix Classic one but I am beginning to think it will be a close run thing with two and a half months still to go! I think I still have a spare Sea Fury if anybody wants one.

John, I believe I have a spare set of Lynx decs if there is a problem with yours, though being Frog they should be OK.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

John, I believe I have a spare set of Lynx decs if there is a problem with yours, though being Frog they should be OK.

Thanks Peter, that is very kind of you. The kit still had the cellophane wrapper on, and having checked the decals they appear to be OK. I will take you up on the offer of your spare set if I have any issues though. 

• Thanks 1

I am very impressed by all the builds in the gallery.  Truly.  I am also impressed by the wide gamut of aircraft kits produced by the FROG company...wide and varied.  Unique designs, as well as standard 'go to' kits like Spitfires and so forth.  What an amazing legacy and brought to life right here by in this GB!

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

On 7/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, PeterB said:

Certainly I have never seen it built

On Russian model site as minimum two seriously

build FROG/NOVO

P-39.

One as diorama

"Novo 1/72 P-39 Airacobra repairs-dinner" :

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/3680-Novo-1-72-P-39-Airacobra---remont-obed.html

Forum discussion:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_28469.html

And one as kitbashing were FROG/NOVO at base but some details from Zvezda & P-63 TOKO (cockpit interior, canopy).

Finished

photo_5_1525784917.jpg

here:

https://karopka.ru/community/user/20813/?MODEL=514234

Building in progress on 15 pages with photo, drawings  & technical documentation (original Russian, as example:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1433207_1511261121_1448457796_rrjor.jpg.html

& American/British) inside:

https://karopka.ru/forum/forum259/topic25678/

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_71775.html

Most interesting that many Russian modeller's the accuracy of the  P-39 is currently estimated higher than other models P-39 in 72nd scale.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:46 AM, Rob S said:

As far as I can see it has been discussed on BM at least once

Perhaps I should add links to Russian forums to the topic.

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

OK I have decided what I am going to do to join this Group Build and there is an extremely high probability I will not finish it in the time frame but what is that old saying "If you aim for the Stars you might not reach them (well you won't because you'll burn up!) but you won't end up with a hand full of mud either" (or however it goes!).  

One of the Mods basically knows what I want to do (guessed it after one Clue!) and has provisionally given it the nod but before I start a Build Thread first let's have a bit of fun and see if anyone (except you Dave or anyone you have mentioned it to!) can guess what the subject will be.  

A Clue to follow (maybe not the same Clue as Dave got!) if some of the first guesses are way off.  

• Like 2

That deserves two likes @Rob S, one for the decision to join us and the other for the subject matter in question! Now I haven't mentioned it to anyone as yet, however I sense a good clue may be required not before too long. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

"If you aim for the Stars you might not reach them (well you won't because you'll burn up!)

On this occasion, there is just a Soviet anecdote 

of the NOVO / FROG period.  

"The meeting of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist party Soviet Union.

Speaker Brezhnev: 

- Comrades, in response to the landing of Americans on the moon, we decided to landing  our Soviet cosmonauts  in the Sun!

- But dear comrade Brezhnev, they will burn there!

- Do not worry dear comrades, the party and the government, I personally, have foreseen everything!  Our Soviet cosmonauts  will fly in the Sun at night!"

(Rumor has it that these anecdotes compounded the CIA. :))

So, now you know 

as no burning  when fly to Star!

😁😁😁

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Shell Welder ?

Arkhangelsk?

Arkhangelsk-RoyalSovereign1944.jpg

(know also as "HMS Royal Sovereign ")

F122_Royal_Sovereign_Frog_96px.jpg

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

Pat - The Royal Sovereign, a WWI Dreadnought of the Revenge Class, was lent to the Soviet Navy in 1944 and did not return until 1948, being scrapped a year later so Serge is indeed correct. Don't suppose he is considering building it as it would be far more impressive than the Airfix 1/600 scale ships?

Edited by PeterB

Slightly off topic folks, I  have suggested a Classic Revell/Monogram GB over in GB chat something along the lines of the Airfix GB with any

subject in their ranges with a cut of of 1980 something, if your up for it pop in on the thread and see if the numbers work out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Pat - The Royal Sovereign, a WWI Dreadnought of the Revenge Class, was lent to the Soviet Navy in 1944 and did not return until 1948, being scrapped a year later so Serge is indeed correct. Don't suppose he is considering building it as it would be far more impressive than the Airfix 1/600 scale ships?

Peter this kit was the other one I considered along with the B17 which won out in the end,I'd love to see one done here.

• Like 2