Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Hi Pete @PeterB

Thats an amazing offer regarding your Mitchell, I hope someone takes you up on it, as it would be great to see a Mitchell joining the GB.

Very good point about the Uhu & Baltimore, still we are still in our first month of the GB !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

In a branch of "The Works" today and they were having one of their regular "everything must go sales" (it never does) and picked up this:

DSC03760

all I need now is the kit to go with it. They're not that rare so I should pick one up well in time for the GB.

• Like 2

I haven't looked through all of the chat pages but I was hoping that someone would have mentioned the Frog kit F415 Bell P-39D Airacobra I.  

Has this kit been mentioned in the chat?  

Does anybody fancy building this in the GB?

P1100760.jpg

If you're seriously interested, I'd be happy to supply for the cost of the postage.

It's unstarted and all the parts are there (but no stand), although the fuselage parts are quite grubby.  Nothing that a gentle sand wouldn't fix.  The decals are intact but quite badly yellowed.

I'm currently weeding out my stash and disposing of stuff that's too big to fit my cabinets.  Most will go onto eBay, but I'd prefer to see this one built!

Please PM me if you need more info.  I won't be offended if there are no takers ;)

UPDATE

++ TonyW has kindly offered to accept the challenge and furthermore has insisted on paying for the privilege!  Thanks Tony - top man :) ++

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

1 hour ago, modelldoc said:

Sorry, I'm not in this GB, but I like the FROG / NOVO kits too.

I had build a lot of them, here is one example from my flickr  website:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/17405355325/in/dateposted/

There you can check out more, including the Comet 4

modelldoc

Hi @modelldoc

You are indeed fortunate, @PeterB has a Mitchell looking for a new home for just the price of postage, although you are welcome to leave him a tip !

Great to have you with us, look forward to following the build.

Cheers Pat

I had build a lot in the past.

The Westland Wallace I had done before, but I have one in the stash.

See here an excellent model just now.

So, give me time (holidays first). The building list is impressive.

So I would like to build the never came out Nakajima Rufe, if you like.

modelldoc

• Like 1

Looking over their old stocks.  Those are the most cooperative decals of the late USSR period.  This is not the original FROG. These decals were not appreciated during exchanges due to poor quality and poor color reproduction, so the models were either equipped with original decals FROG ... or were not completed at all.

In addition, these decals have a strange tendency to twist. Therefore, it is left at my home.

Absolutely useless thing as for me.

The number of decals, for understanding only a small part of the volumes that have passed through my hands:

20190630-174938.jpg

8 x F152 Hotspur

1 x F155 D-520

1 x F176 SB-2

4 x F179 Shark

24 x F190 Blenheim 

29 x F194 Spitfire XIV

13 x F199 Vengeance 

1 x F229  Beaufort

16 x F241 Maryland 

10 x F258 Swordfish 

1 x F266 Lightning F.Mk.6

10 x F330 Attackker

4 x F328 Sea Hawk

(It is interesting that below you can see the part of the inscription with the number of the Technical Conditions - ТУ-14-2(3?)41-...-...-...-... )

20190630-180621.jpg

1 x F338 Marauder 

1 x F359 Lancaster 

3 x F389 Typhoon 

1 x F404 La-7

The next one will probably be a revision of my decals FROG/NOVO or boxes...

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2

Another STAT

@Rabbit Leader has continues his excellent service in updating the build list for this GB. With a spare couple of minutes I thought I'd add another stat:

Looking at Scalemates it appears FROG produced (or intended to produce) 196 kits at 1:72 scale in the F series,  67 of those are currently in the build list: That is 34%. The 196 is slightly high as I have probably left some reboxing in.

Added 1st July : Apologies to @Richard Humm as I have only just discovered that he produced differing figures way back  on June 16th  in the build list.- I will defer to his knowledge on this one. His figure is lower and would make the build %'age much more impressive.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 11:26 AM, 06/24 said:

Forgive my tardiness. I fully intend to have a stab with the Fokker XXI as soon as I get some holiday time and energy. 

So this is where you're lurking now? Back to the bench, you build, YOU BUILD NOW!

Chairman Anil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Another STAT

@Rabbit Leader has continues his excellent service in updating the build list for this GB. With a spare couple of minutes I thought I'd add another stat:

Looking at Scalemates it appears FROG produced (or intended to produce) 196 kits at 1:72 scale in the F series,  67 of those are currently in the build list: That is 34%. The 196 is slightly high as I have probably left some reboxing in.

But maybe it makes sense to add to the list of GB those models FROG of which are not building, but instead of putting the user instead of "- ????", highlighting such a line in red? 

As examples:

F152 (1963) - General Aircraft Hotspur II Glider - Ventora3300, Mr T

F153 (1963) - Miles Magister - Heather Kay, Ray S

F154  - Sea Fury FB.11 - ?????

F155  - D-520 - ?????

F156  ( I don't know on memories this index) - ?????

F157 (1963) - Morane Saulnier MS 406 - Jean

..... e.t.c 

Just for best motivation to building...

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

But maybe it makes sense to add to the list of GB those models FROG of which are not building, but instead of putting the user instead of "- ????", highlighting such a line in red? 

As examples:

F152 (1963) - General Aircraft Hotspur II Glider - Ventora3300, Mr T

F153 (1963) - Miles Magister - Heather Kay, Ray S

F154  - Sea Fury FB.11 - ?????

F155  - D-520 - ?????

F156  ( I don't know on memories this index) - ?????

F157 (1963) - Morane Saulnier MS 406 - Jean

..... e.t.c 

Just for best motivation to building...

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge

F156 Fokker D21 or XXI if you prefer

cheers Pat

I do have a FROG Mosquito if nobody else is doing one, so I could slip that one in after the Wyvern before turning to the three Miles Master projects (I now have two Mercury cowlings for them).

I also dug out my last-gasp-of-a-tired-mould spawn Whitley to see if I could build that to an acceptable standard. @TonyW probably has the best idea, finishing it as an ID model, but I am getting tempted by the idea of getting it as close to "new Airfix" standard as possible. Also thinking about another Blenheim (I've done four: Frog, MPM, old+new Airfix), maybe converted to the Type 142 prototype.

...and I have a FROG Venus flying rubber-powered model that needs restoration. This was built by my late Dad and has been in several attics for the past 50++ years! I suspect he built it just before his life was disrupted by the patter of tiny feet.

Too many choices and too little time!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Serge

F156 Fokker D21 or XXI if you prefer

cheers Pat

Thank, Pat!

I searched in Google after posting.

I don't know this index from memory, because for Fokker D21 (or XXI)  the index

F223 is better known to my.

Of course, after almost 30th years old I do not remember full catalog of FROG which they did in the USSR by heart....

What is interesting, but we in the USSR practically did not use the catalog numbers of NOVO, we in the majority did not even know about the full catalog NOVO!  We used catalog numbers FROG for models identification.  FROG catalog numbers were mainly taken from the NOVO boxes.  But NOVO boxes sometimes had different numbers on the front and back of the boxes, so sometimes there was a dispute about the correct index.

Side pictures from the white boxes NOVO, such as the La-7 or DH-60, for lack of other information, gave rise to rumors that Macci MС.202 was made in the USSR.

But my previous

posting was not about that.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Another STAT

Added 1st July : Apologies to @Richard Humm as I have only just discovered that he produced differing figures way back  on June 16th  in the build list.- I will defer to his knowledge on this one. His figure is lower and would make the build %'age much more impressive.

My count didn't include any reboxings, which is probably why it was lower. There are a few kits which are practically identical apart from the kit number - mostly smaller aircraft in H type boxes which moved between the Blue and Black price series - I think there was a Vampire as an example somewhere in the build.

6 hours ago, Aardvark said:

My intention is to document what kits are being built, not the kits that are not - that’s why it’s called a ‘Build List’. I understand where you’re coming from Serge, however I honestly do not have the time to document the whole complete list as suggested. 

I’m happy for anyone else to take up the challenge, but with three kits on the go and another GB to host from 03 August, my modelling and Admin commitments are fully occupied.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The build list being diligently documented by @Rabbit Leader is as described, ones that are being built in the GB.

Whilst it's great looking at others that might still make an appearance I completely support Dave in focusing on the build in progress. 

Your GB hosts are trying to balance doing builds of their own and hosting whilst doing all that life throws at us, so please remember that I don't wear my underpants over the outside of my trousers, but I can't speak for @Rabbit Leader& @vppelt68who may well have special capes in their stash !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am oh so pleased to hear that you don't wear your underpants on the outside (an image that could leave scars for life).......and that's probably a huge relief to those that have to live with you as well! :D

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Looking at Scalemates it appears FROG produced (or intended to produce) 196 kits at 1:72 scale in the F series,

Whilst I respect what Scalemates is trying to achieve I would have thought that the definitive Frog Kit List/s were compiled some time ago by Dennis Teague (I think it was) in Scale Models magazine January and July 1983.  

I don't have my copies here but perhaps someone has and reproduce them here (if allowable that is).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

so please remember that I don't wear my underpants over the outside of my trousers, but I can't speak for @Rabbit Leader& @vppelt68who may well have special capes in their stash !

In the age of Cameras in Mobiles and the Internet I'm sure there are photos out there that prove otherwise SuperJock (SuperRabbit, and Super68) ... 

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2019 at 5:57 PM, Rob S said:

I haven't looked through all of the chat pages but I was hoping that someone would have mentioned the Frog kit F415 Bell P-39D Airacobra I.  

Has this kit been mentioned in the chat?  

Hi Rob,

Until a few days ago I was unaware Frog ever did that kit, though I can see it on the Cocardes list of kits designed by Frog and boxed by somebody else after their demise. I think somebody must have mentioned it somewhere on this build project though I cannot remember where. Certainly I have never seen it built so here is your chance if you can find one.

• Like 1