Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

bf40d14c-171b-4cb3-aff8-8208aa8473ec.jpg

As we were talking earlier about the clear spinning prop disc included with this model if you look carefully at the contents of this kit you can make out the clear prop disc at bottom left with the spinner just left of the lowest small roundel on the decal sheet.

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Dear Frog GB members. 

Just a quick prod to those of you (which includes me) who have build threads on the 3rd, 4th and 5th pages...... time for an update, wouldn't ya say? 

Let's see if we can all put something down in our respective threads before the next weekend rolls over. Thanks for that. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Done Mr Rabbit Leader Sir! (At least, for my unstarted Magister!).

All the best, Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2019 at 11:08, Ray S said:

Adey ah, yes! We had 6 inches of the stuff overnight, after a light dusting during Christmas Day. My brother and I were amazed to see a huge bright flash early in the morning on Boxing Day, we waited for the thunder but nothing came! We always wondered what caused that, possibly a power line...

I ended up with an Airfix Scharnhorst that Christmas...

All the best,

Ray

resized_61c3bd23-a23d-4c10-a4d7-fb904cea

Does this take you back Ray ....................

regards, adey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, adey m said:

bf40d14c-171b-4cb3-aff8-8208aa8473ec.jpg

As we were talking earlier about the clear spinning prop disc included with this model if you look carefully at the contents of this kit you can make out the clear prop disc at bottom left with the spinner just left of the lowest small roundel on the decal sheet.

And here's the prop in action...

IMG-7866.jpg

Tony.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 2:29 PM, Rob S said:

OK when the List gets to 39 (two more at this point in time) put me on the List at Number 40 for a Wyvern.  

I don't think anyone noticed this so by my reckoning then I can't be held to doing this!  

Thinking of doing something not already listed but have to clear it with the Mods first (on the quiet although they may laugh so hard it might give it away!) and then have to work out just how I'm going to do it!  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I don't think anyone noticed this so by my reckoning then I can't be held to doing this!  

Thinking of doing something not already listed but have to clear it with the Mods first (on the quiet although they may laugh so hard it might give it away!) and then have to work out just how I'm going to do it!  

....by building a kit that really does fly right off the ground? Why not? It's a model kit and it has to be built...!

On 6/26/2019 at 12:15 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Dear Frog GB members. 

Just a quick prod to those of you (which includes me) who have build threads on the 3rd, 4th and 5th pages...... time for an update, wouldn't ya say? 

Let's see if we can all put something down in our respective threads before the next weekend rolls over. Thanks for that. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Ok slave driver,

My builds have been interrupted by a combination of a heavy cold, a broken down car, and now the arrival of 2 small bundles of trouble.

DSC01409

My family always had a dog, and my wife's family had cats, so when we married we agreed on a compromise - kids! Later that was modified to include cats as well.

After over 30 years with at least one cat in the house, the last one passed away a couple of months short of her 21st birthday. It has taken a while for my family to persuade me to get another, and then they turned up yesterday with 2! Unfortunately I do not have a nice secure "man cave" and my study is a danger area for this pair, so I am having to work round them when they are asleep - it being far too hot to keep the door closed. Should be able to post on the Shackleton and 410 in a couple of days. Now I just have to work out where I can spray paint/varnish without gassing them, which probably means my old shed full of insects - not ideal and like an oven at the moment!

Incidentally, it is a good thing I am not superstitious by nature - the first cat we ever had was like this pair, an all black male and both he and they were born on April 24th - must be an omen of some sort!

• Like 6

Congratulations on your 2 new additions Pete

Those small paint tins will make great playthings for chasing around the mancave floor, best make sure you keep the lids on otherwise you might need to name one of them Joesph and his technicolor coat of many colours !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

Just opened the instructions on my Hasegawa B-47 and found this list on the instructions:

DSC03770

Some of the Frog kits must have seemed even more  esoteric to Japanese modellers that those in the UK. I wonder how close the Frog GB will get to a 100% completion of (the Frog original/issued kits) in this list?

bit in parenthesis added to clarify point - so that @Richard Humm does not get blamed for not reading this post - thanks Richard for the clarification

Edited by Paul821
Added text to clarify questiion.
  • Like 3

There are four Hasegawa kits that weren't issued by FROG on the list, so those wouldn't be applicable for the GB - the F-5A, T-38, F-4J, and OV-1A/C (though FROG did issue the OV-1B). There's quite a few of the other 25 on the build, though - the only FROG originals missing are the Lysander and Mosquito.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Now I just have to work out where I can spray paint/varnish without gassing them, which probably means my old shed full of insects - not ideal and like an oven at the moment!

Can you buy or make a spray booth that vents through a window with a fan ? Combined with a baby gate for the door to your study, should see both the kittens and models safe. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats currently. I don't use my booth since i downsized from my 11x12 office to the 7x10 foyer. The painting doesn't seem to bother them either ?  

Dennis

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

There are four Hasegawa kits that weren't issued by FROG on the list, so those wouldn't be applicable for the GB - the F-5A, T-38, F-4J, and OV-1A/C (though FROG did issue the OV-1B). There's quite a few of the other 25 on the build, though - the only FROG originals missing are the Lysander and Mosquito.

Thanks Richard,

Scalemates actually shows the Frog box art for an F-5A (CF-5 if one wants to be accurate), so what's doing with the webpage that linked above? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can you buy or make a spray booth that vents through a window with a fan ? Combined with a baby gate for the door to your study, should see both the kittens and models safe. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats currently. I don't use my booth since i downsized from my 11x12 office to the 7x10 foyer. The painting doesn't seem to bother them either ?  

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I have a spray booth and was in part joking. Problem is first finding where they actually are as they hide in/under things, and next keeping the little sods out long enough to get the spraying done, as they are small enough to slip through the tiniest gap, and are both fast and cunning - in other words typical cats, just smaller. It was never a problem with my adult cats, but I am being more protective of these little mites at this early stage of their development.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Richard,

Scalemates actually shows the Frog box art for an F-5A (CF-5 if one wants to be accurate), so what's doing with the webpage that linked above? 

Cheers.. Dave 

You're right, the F-5A was issued by FROG. I don't know how I missed it. 26 kits from that list available for the group build, then.

• Like 3

I spent a very enjoyable evening last night with Mrs Jockney (no not that !) Having a rather nice glass of red wine sitting on the terrace catching up on all the recent posts here on our GB.

We are still seeing additional aircraft joining the GB for the first time which is really great, however surprisingly we still have some obvious ones missing, a few of which I have listed below.

Mitchell (RAF D-Day stripes)

Mosquito 

Flying Fortress

Lancaster 1/72 & 1/96

Fokker D21 or XXI if you prefer (Dutch & Finnish markings) 

A4 skyhawk

Mig-21 

F104 Starfighter

So if you haven't joined this GB yet, have a good look through the stash and please join us, and if you have a kit we haven't seen yet all the better !

Finally if you have a car or boat model that would be nothing short of outstanding 😁

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4

@JOCKNEY if we are starting a wish-list of kits we would like to see here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FROG-AIRFIX-TYPE-1-500th-R-100-AIRSHIP-RARE/293068577591?hash=item443c3f9b37:g:d1YAAOSw2RJckQ1O

is available is anyone has the odd £100 to spare.

More obviously it would be great to see some none aircraft subjects appear.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

I spent a very enjoyable evening last night with Mrs Jockney (no not that !)

With two sets of twins already, I for one am glad to hear that! Have a great holiday mate and send the missus our regards. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

On 6/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, adey m said:

resized_61c3bd23-a23d-4c10-a4d7-fb904cea

Does this take you back Ray ....................

regards, adey

Yes Adey, it does. It is a shame that row of trees in the background has now gone (they lined the lane at the back of our houses) - it looks really bare along there now.

Great photo by the way!

Ray

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ray S said:

Yes Adey, it does. It is a shame that row of trees in the background has now gone (they lined the lane at the back of our houses) - it looks really bare along there now.

Great photo by the way!

Ray

Thanks Ray

hard to believe that the 10 year old in the photo had already built quite a number of FROG kits by then, mainly from the village Post Office .

regards, adey

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

We are still seeing additional aircraft joining the GB for the first time which is really great, however surprisingly we still have some obvious ones missing, a few of which I have listed below.

Pat I was looking(just looking mind) at KK tonight seeng whats on offer then over to the Frog Cocardes site for sprue shots etc a couple of things interested me as far as decent looking

molds etc,the Jaguar and Lynx for a start I've always been tempted by the Vengeance (wonder what it would look like re-scribed)? The Mozzie would be nice to see here and the Boston

but  that Whitley still keeps crossing my mind as a big finish to the GB that boxart I've loved since I first saw it on the can't afford it shelf all those years ago the common sense side of me

says go for the state of the art Airfix issue which is actually cheaper but one day these Frog kits will be too hard to find we'll see!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I spent a very enjoyable evening last night with Mrs Jockney (no not that !) Having a rather nice glass of red wine sitting on the terrace catching up on all the recent posts here on our GB.

Mitchell (RAF D-Day stripes)

Mosquito 

Flying Fortress

Lancaster 1/72 & 1/96

Fokker D21 or XXI if you prefer (Dutch & Finnish markings) 

A4 skyhawk

Mig-21 

F104 Starfighter

So if you haven't joined this GB yet, have a good look through the stash and please join us, and if you have a kit we haven't seen yet all the better !

Finally if you have a car or boat model that would be nothing short of outstanding 😁

Cheers Pat 

What about the Bleriot  

Martin H

• Like 2

I built the DXXI last year and it looks good. I added gun barrels and an exhaust which Frog either forgot or got wrong, and detailed the cockpit a bit, but it was easy enough. I believe the cockpit is not quite right but I like it, particularly with it's unusual Dutch paint scheme, and the triangular markings in a colour I had better not talk about.

When I was a lad, most of my kits were bought in Carters in Bradford. Kits and model railways were upstairs and on the landing they had a display case, which at various times held an O Gauge Flying Scotsman, and a beautiful post war RAF Rescue Launch nearly 2 ft long. However the contents I was most interested in were the Frog DXXI and the Mitchell. Many years later I bought both, though the Mitchell is the Chematic reboxing and has been put on hold as I now have the Airfix version. In fact, if anybody wants it for this build I would consider parting with it for the cost of the postage!

Pat, Heinkel He 219 and Martin Baltimore come to mind.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Forgive my tardiness. I fully intend to have a stab with the Fokker XXI as soon as I get some holiday time and energy. 

Excellent news, I look forward to following the build, you will have a friend for life with @vppelt68 if you build the Finnish one !

@Rabbit Leader Dave please note @06/24 is to join us with the Fokker XXI, delighted 

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1