Fancy a trip down Airfx Memory lane?

stevej60

HI folk's,if you are not of a certain age this won't appeal,there are some kit's long gone now which I built in my youth which among the many

stick out in the memory as I thought at the time "This is my best build yet",the Airfix Banshee was one which I think must have been about 

1979/80 just before Booze,Bikes and the ladies took over! When it arrived from King Kit and I opened the box I remembered how small it

look's in the box but what we have is a nicely molded kit with delicate raised detail and despite the 1987 date useable decal's,there is a choice

of a Marines recon version which requires surgery to add the long nose or a Navy version which is a much prettier option and the one I am 

going for.So a quickish OOB build and have some fun.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

Steve, please could you measure one of the tailplanes for me? They are both missing from my kit. They look easy enough to scratch build and I've got a section of a plan but it's not to 1/72 scale. All I need is the length from the base to the tip - I can work the rest out from the plan. 

57 minutes ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

Steve, please could you measure one of the tailplanes for me? They are both missing from my kit. They look easy enough to scratch build and I've got a section of a plan but it's not to 1/72 scale. All I need is the length from the base to the tip - I can work the rest out from the plan. 

Will do at work now do it tonight

• Like 1

Morning all,here we go,Ive cleaned up the fuselage sides and wings which have been glued along with the fuel tank's all fitted

beautifully,cockpit is painted along with wheel,s and u/c legs when I get the light I will post some photo's.

DSCN4145_zpsdkevsunw.jpg

• Like 5

Hi folk's dropped everything planned for today's model time for this one so here's progress.A bit of detail painting of the 

wheels and intake inners.

DSCN4163_zpskzuembtk.jpg

Cockpit painted tape belt's added and spare decals cut and applied.

DSCN4164_zpsbsulrbj3.jpg

And into fuselage sides,decals added for a busy look.

DSCN4175_zpsvykprqss.jpg

And after nose weight added fuselage joined.there is a gap inside the air intakes where they narrow into the wing which I filled

with evergreen strip and have started to paint white.Thank's for popping in.

DSCN4176_zpsliuvptts.jpg

• Like 9

Steve, it's fantastic to see this kit built again! Great choice!

I remember vividly the day I got this kit, as it was the day of my first heart attack... caused by the sight of these few pieces of plastic floating in this huge box... I thought that over half the bits and pieces had been lost along the way...

But I was nonetheless real happy when I admired the kit built and painted... OK, I was biased as there was so much to criticize... but I liked it.

So have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Never seen one moulded in grey before, all the ones I remember were blue. 

J

I remember it in blue too John,this is a Humbrol era boxing made in France hence the dull box top,I ordered a Sunderland at the same

time and received another Humbrol boxing which was still in cellophane at at a cracking £12:99,as you can see gone is the white plastic

we were used to But being a mid eighties boxing the molds were better than the current box contents which retail at £24:99!

DSCN4179_zps8rp6gvbz.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I remember it in blue too John,this is a Humbrol era boxing made in France hence the dull box top,I ordered a Sunderland at the same

time and received another Humbrol boxing which was still in cellophane at at a cracking £12:99,as you can see gone is the white plastic

we were used to But being a mid eighties boxing the molds were better than the current box contents which retail at £24:99!

DSCN4179_zps8rp6gvbz.jpg

Ah... takes me back to heading down the local model shop with my old man and looking at all kits lined up on the shelves. Thanks for bringing back great memories on my boring commute to the office!

• Like 1

Hi all,got the airframe cleaned up and just a little flexi filler ti run into the wing/fuselage join,the inserts fitted beautifully.two days and 

ready for primer! Loving this one the missus was asking if I wanted a kit for xmas and much as I hate not getting one from my great

LMS I'm toying with a couple more from KK got my eye on the Douglas Skyray and Panavia MRCA from AIrfix rather than a shake and 

bake new tool something.

DSCN4182_zpsmiawuuhk.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I suppose there are still some Airfix nostalgia kits on your shelf, Steve? I am asking because it does not seem this one will keep you occupied for much longer, if you keep up that pace. Cheers

Jure

None in the stash Jure,in fact I'm at the stage of "buy to build" as I'm now out of kit's but as mentioned I have a couple more  in

mind from this era of Airfix.

Hi folk's,I've fitted the u/c doors and hook also filled the seams along the wing's.

DSCN4210_zps4z2rqxtq.jpg

As you can see there are no wheel well's to speak of which Airfix seemed to do with a few kit's of this era.

the top wing/fuselage joins were fine just needing a bit of liquid poly running along the seam.A dry run

shows a decent cockpit glazing fit.

DSCN4211_zpsbtovoe0i.jpg

• Like 4