Wessex HC2 - A Dauphin's Stablemate: 520 days later.... IT'S FINISHED ! (why, yes it is indeed)

hendie

Yes , I agree with Perdu, it is scratch building, in such a way as moulding your own parts from resin is.

You still need a former but this one is digital instead of solid.

Using technology not technology using you.

Nice work Hendie.

• Like 3

Well, I dropped the family off down in Baltimore this morning and got home around lunchtime - straight down to the basement as I wanted to storm all the little hangy off things that I keep noticing on the HC2. It seems that the more I look, the more I find. It also seems like every HC2 is slightly different and there are very few decent photo's of the particular helo I am building, so I have spent literally hours upon hours pouring over photo's trying to identify all the little bumps and knobbly bits on the 28 Sqn bird and seeing if I can find out what they actually are on other Wessex'

And just the other day I spotted a rather unusual bump hanging off the bottom end. Out came some scrap runners and I made use of the number tags

S5003080.JPG

Some filing, shaping and trimming of the number tabs started to produce the missing part... can you tell what it is yet ?

S5003079.JPG

It's another hangy off bit of course! I'm assuming an aerial mount or summat similar.

S5003081.JPG

In my reference photo's, the bottom of the box thingy is at the same level as the underside of the Wessex. It seems the itlaeri profile is slightly out as I couldn't get the box to sit as I saw it in the photo's, so it hangs slightly lower than the underside... I think I can get away with it.

S5003091.JPG

The last thing to do on the tail (for the moment anyway) was to add this upper flange around the stabilizer - made from thin lead foil.

S5003086.JPG

Then to keep everyone happy, the last pair of curtains were added to the inside of the windscreen.

S5003087.JPG

Would you believe it ? I spotted another pair of hendie's protuberances just at the back end of the beetleback. These were a bit harder to fit as they sit on a curved surface but I got there in the end.

I have a slight concern here... there's not much room between the upper door rail and the Vee thingy I fitted coming down from the beetleback. The "ROYAL AIR FORCE" decal is supposed to fit into that space. I must remember to check the height of the decal and make sure I can still fit it in there, otherwise there shall be a little bit of trimming to do later.

S5003094.JPG

The soldering iron was brought out again, this time to make the emergency release handles for the port side windows

S5003089.JPG

now fitted....

S5003090.JPG

You probably spotted it in the shot above but I also added these strengthening plates and covers. Originally I thought they were a left over from the undercarriage on the UH-34 and they were just blanked off for the Wessex - Does anyone know ? On other Wessex I have seen tubular thingies protruding from these points - it took me ages to find a 28 Sqn shot where I could confirm what was actually fitted on those.

S5003092.JPG

The problem I am finding with this build is that there are so many features missing, it's becoming very difficult to know where to stop. I could almost go on forever adding a bit here, a bit there etc.

However, there are some bits that I just couldn't resist adding.... the soldering iron was brought into play again, and this time it was to make the lanyard hook just below the cabin door.

S5003095.JPG

Followed by the mounting point for the SACRU release handle. I say "followed" but that particular item took me about 20 attempts to get anywhere near looking right. (the little extra bit will be trimmed back when the glue has set)

S5003097.JPG

Now, this part has really rubbed me up the wrong way today. This is the tie down hook for the blade fold support.

Once again, it took about 20 attempts, trying different methods, different materials, and this was the best looking part I could get.

S5003088.JPG

Despite trying to make it smaller and smaller with each attempt, it's still way too large. I thought I was almost there with this one but it was not to be, alas.

S5003098.JPG

I have now given up for the day - that was really getting to me and I needed a break before I did something I would regret.

So here's where we stand this evening. Port side mostly done. I still have the blade fold tie downs to add, and one sensor - a small tube thingy, again, I don't know what it's for.

S5003099.JPG

Then on the starboard side, lots of white bits added, but I am almost there, and happy with the way it is looking.

I don't know why all those parts were not molded in to the kit. Most of them are line of draw of the mold so it really would not have been a difficult job to add them and make it look a lot more like a Wessex.

S5003100.JPG

Feel free to let me know if I have missed anything!

.... and now I am going to take a break... I might even break out the Jack Daniels

• Like 9

Just ice with mine. Thanks.

The box thingy was an aerial mount.

(I think). just a stick really.

Your strengthening plates and covers,

were they to do with the missile mounts?

I really don't remember them.

The tie down hook for the blade fold

support looks great. as do the other bits.

That was a good days work.

• Like 2

I dont think you have missed owt hendie mate

That boss, I think it should be one of a pair so no problems there

I think it is supposed to support the boom from which various martially inclined bits of hardware dangle

They are on XR525, the most photographed Walter in Christendom

As Pete mentions the protuberance holds an aerial

5ad679fa-9b90-4d64-9763-ba245da4897a_zps

Yours is looking wonderful

Wish I'd built it :(

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Just ice with mine. Thanks.

The box thingy was an aerial mount.

(I think). just a stick really.

Your strengthening plates and covers,

were they to do with the missile mounts?

I really don't remember them.

The tie down hook for the blade fold

support looks great. as do the other bits.

That was a good days work.

I guess it could have been missile mounts - I've seen at least three different fittings on that particular area.

I dont think you have missed owt hendie mate

That boss, I think it should be one of a pair so no problems there

I think it is supposed to support the boom from which various martially inclined bits of hardware dangle

They are on XR525, the most photographed Walter in Christendom

As Pete mentions the protuberance holds an aerial

5ad679fa-9b90-4d64-9763-ba245da4897a_zps

Yours is looking wonderful

Wish I'd built it :(

That would make sense perdu, thanks. At least I confirmed that the 28 Sqn Wessex only had the blanking plate around the time I worked on them.... they seem to have sprouted more aerials and other gubbins, such as flotation gear before they finally left HK

• Like 1

I spent 6 years living with the Wessex during my time at Odiham, the odd air test jolly, loads of hours during exercises of one kind or another, and even slept over night in one en-route to Scotland. After so many years I can still recall many section and refs (RAF part Nos) 26wx xxxxxx and your build is bring it all back again.

True dedication and you cant beat modelling based on "fact"

Awesome work

Edited by Gary West
  • Like 3

Beautiful work Hendie.

Not sure if this will help or hinder but I remembered that ages ago I'd taken some photos of a Wessex at our local air museum.

Have a look here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/geedubelyer/library/Westland%20Wessex%20Walkaround?sort=3&page=1

for a few walkaround snaps.

HTH

thankee kindly geedubelyer - there's some very useful shots in there and as always, I spotted a couple of artifacts that I hadn't noticed before so I shall immediately be seeking counseling in an attempt to remain sane, and finish this project before the year is out.

• Like 3

Then to keep everyone happy, the last pair of curtains were added to the inside of the windscreen.

If you did not install the "curtains" (I would call them blinds but what do I know) I think there would have to be a linch mob organised for you. Great attention to detail and loving every minute of it.

Best Regards,

Nigel

• Like 2

Fantastic work there, I am in awe!

Those thingies sticking out, I may be wrong (most likely) but may have something to do with fuel, overload tank connections?

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

After many (and I mean many!) abortive attempts, I finally got a piece of wire in between the flanges of the blade fold tie down. Port side done, only Stbd side left to do.

S5003107.JPG

Last night I finally made the decision to fit the canopy. After much deliberation I determined that it would be better to fit the seats now as opposed to trying to fit them through a small aperture later. The fire extinguisher also got fitted though I left the pilots documentation box, and the cyclics out for the moment as I reckon it would be too easy to dislodge it when masking this puppy up.

S5003103.JPG

I used the standards setting epoxy as rightly or wrongly, I believe it creates a slightly stronger bond than the 5 minute stuff. I wasn't too bothered about getting drips and runs over the front of the canopy as it will all need to be shaped and sanded later anyway. That was left to cure overnight.

S5003104.JPG

The "canopy wider than the fuselage" problem had a simple fix... by wrapping a piece of tamiya tape completely around the bottom edge of the canopy, I could adjust the tension and width at the bottom of the canopy- not exactly precise, but it seemed to do the job - and I couldn't get clamps to hold in this area anyway.

S5003106.JPG

I did encounter one problem though. Either through my cutting and shutting, or some kit warpage, or a combination of both - but more likely to be caused by me - I spotted that the canopy does not sit square.

You can see from this shot that although the canopy is square and centered at the front it has a bias to the stbd side at the rear.

S5003105.JPG

Thankfully, there is just enough flex in it all to move the canopy over so that is sits centrally.

I used a small piece of styrene and super glue to fix the canopy in position, then I have used std epoxy glue for the remainder of the bond and it will sit for the rest of the day curing. That should give plenty of time for the epoxy to creep into all the small gaps and such.

This week I'm back off to Michigan again, hopefully for the last time, and of course, it's Easter next weekend so I don't see any more updates on this for a little while....

• Like 12

well, that's what I am hoping perdu.

I did manage to break the joint between the canopy and the frame at the port bottom corner while flexing everything about, but I lathered on some more glue and set it aside - which gave me a chance to go and work on the train carriage today (with a small update over in the Vehicles forum). It's the first time I've been near it since before Xmas!.. I really must try and spend a bit more time on that build.

• Like 2