Boeing 747-443: Virgin Atlantic

This is the Revell 1/144th scale kit, with the CF6 engine option (Lufthansa boxing.) It's starting to show its age a bit now, and this moulding had lots of flash and misaligned parts - the landing gear in particular was a complete nightmare to clean up and get to an acceptable standard.

The Revell 747-400 also has a slight shape issue with the nose and flight deck area, so I attempted to remedy this a little with some Milliput and sanding - I think I have improved on the look of the original. All obliterated panel lines which were destroyed in the filling and sanding process (of which there was plenty!) were rescribed back on to the model.

I used TwoSix decals which were absolutely outstanding, over Halfords' automotive paints, finished off with a little light weathering with Humbrol enamels and pastels.

Build time - from opening the box to completing the model: 5 days.

Boeing 747-443, Virgin Atlantic Airways, G-VROY 'Pretty Woman'

cd4539d4-eae3-4f25-837f-ff99bfa03231_zps

c2b1314e-cffa-4aa5-a47e-3899a40373cb_zps

7a5d08a8-93c0-430a-b9ae-818c9bd003f2_zps

8dcf532e-e40a-45d7-b2e4-fd0ac1179101_zps

f6455274-0d57-4117-b1a4-483b9e472b45_zps

856fd501-80a6-4e1b-a598-17398dbbf693_zps

4ec1e112-c7c8-4550-9366-e05a903be4a9_zps

Virgin's 'four-holers' - alongside an A340-600 using the Braz conversion:

2ec8d042-569b-43b1-802f-48fe92208c5b_zps

Happy modelling folks!

Tom

• Like 17

Delicious! Love that staining around the back.

Brought back some great memories - did a number of trips LAX - LGW back in the day. That Upper Class cabin sure made the flight seem so much shorter than the other carriers. There just seemed to be a great sense of humour about.

Cheers,

Mike

Very 'Pretty Woman!!' Very nice work. The last time I returned from a holiday in Florida was in G-VROY .

And the last time for me to go Virgin because of poor conduct bt the cabin crew and of a passenger who came down from upstairs sat down in an empty seat in front of me and started fondling some woman, in front of a minor alongside laid his seat back right in to my face while I was having a drink. You can guess what happened and an enormous kerfuffle ensued but the cabin crew wouldn't help me because he paid 4 grand for his seat upstairs and I was only one of the riff raff in economy! Talk about discriminating !!! I was livid and told the head cabin boy what I thought of there 'customer care' and that they only cared for those upstairs!! silly thing was I never wrote to virgin bosses to make a formal complaint, but it still rankles and won't fly with them !!

At the time I also argued with the crew and passenger that If he wanted to come down and mess about with some scrag , then I 'll go upstairs and have his seat or he should drag her upstairs with him!! Anything for a bit of quiet and comfort on an overnighter!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments :)

Lovely finish. Do you lacquer them after decaling?

Yes I use Halfords' Lacquer applied in several 'dust coats' to avoid it eating the decals!

Thanks for the compliments :)

Yes I use Halfords' Lacquer applied in several 'dust coats' to avoid it eating the decals!

Thanks Tom. I presume you masked off the corro prior to the lacquer. I was wondering about the decal eating capability of the lacquer, I have used it in the past but got scared!

Thanks Tom. I presume you masked off the corro prior to the lacquer. I was wondering about the decal eating capability of the lacquer, I have used it in the past but got scared!

It's pretty potent stuff, and if applied too thickly will dissolve the decals and cause a general mess. I tend to apply it in very light coats from a good 10-12" inches away, and build it up slowly. This had about 5 coats until I was happy with the finish.

I've got it down to a fine art now and rarely use anything else to seal decals when I build commercial jets - it is really hard wearing and models I finished years ago still look as fresh as the day I painted them.

• Like 1

It's pretty potent stuff, and if applied too thickly will dissolve the decals and cause a general mess. I tend to apply it in very light coats from a good 10-12" inches away, and build it up slowly. This had about 5 coats until I was happy with the finish.

I've got it down to a fine art now and rarely use anything else to seal decals when I build commercial jets - it is really hard wearing and models I finished years ago still look as fresh as the day I painted them.

Perhaps I'll just use my trusty alclad varnish on my new project seeing as it's taken me the best part of a year to get the decals for it.

Thank you for the tips, I'll practise for use in the future.

Very nice build Tom. And I agree with many, the kit is a bit old now but you've produced a stunner.

I don't think I'll risk using lacquer spray on mine as I can be a bit heavy handed at times.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

That is a knockout Tom!

Whatever you did to reshape the nose has worked wonders, it looks spot on now.

Cheers

John

Thanks John - I didn't do a huge amount to the nose shape, just reduced the bump forward of the cockpit a little with some sanding (I couldn't reduce it any further through fear of sanding through the plastic!) and built up the area above the cockpit windows with some Milliput. Once blended in and rescribed it did improve it.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the process as wanted to knock it out quickly so just cracked on regardless.

Tom

wow - what a great looking giant. I love it - please share your secrets regarding the nose reshaping as I have 2 of these kits in my stash destined for BA and Virgin liveries - I have already bought the Braz Rolls Royce replacement engine set for my intended BA kit.

I will let you into a secret of mine here - years ago I was a silk screen printer and one of the commissions my employer won was with Virgin when the big flying lady logos were first introduced. We printed these logos on flat bed presses and they were huge. The company I worked for had the UK's largest single frame Svecia silk screen bed plant at the time (which would explain why they won the contract I guess) but even so, the logos had to be printed in pieces - leg, head, body, arms etc. The logos were about 25foot long when assembled and applied - it must have been around 1990 at the time which would have meant we were printing for Virgins 747 200 and new 400 fleet.

wow - what a great looking giant. I love it - please share your secrets regarding the nose reshaping as I have 2 of these kits in my stash destined for BA and Virgin liveries - I have already bought the Braz Rolls Royce replacement engine set for my intended BA kit.

It wasn't major surgery and wasn't too difficult - all that was needed to build the area immediately above the flightdeck windows up a little with some Milliput, and then when dry sand it and blend it in with the upper fuselage contours.

The small 'humped' area in front of the flightdeck was also largely removed as this isn't present on the real aircraft. I went as far as I dared without sanding through the plastic - then rescribed the panel lines.

8e76770b-5ac7-4130-9f1c-d8faa49b60dc_zps

Hope that helps?

Tom

• 3 months later...

Great looking 747-400

Lovely finish and she looks just great in Virgin colours

I also have one under construction.But I gave it a pause because the correction work on the cockpit section didn't work out as I hoped.

So for the moment she's on hold until I find the nerve to continue with her.

• 1 month later...