C-130's for Germany

Slater

Interesting article, but vague to the point of misleading with the final line:

" Earlier this year, France agreed to buy the C-130, which is also used by the U.S. and other allies."

France agreed to buy four C-130J aircraft to supplement their existing fleet of H models, some of which they've been using since the 1970s. While they are buying them due to the Airbus delays, the comment makes them sound like newcomers to the Herc.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a French C-130.....................rare birds.

Airbus must be shi**ing a brick

4 hours ago, upnorth said:

IFrance agreed to buy four C-130J aircraft to supplement their existing fleet of H models, some of which they've been using since the 1970s. 

Not so early, the Hercules came only in the late 80's, 86 or 87.

4 hours ago, upnorth said:

France agreed to buy four C-130J aircraft to supplement their existing fleet of H models, some of which they've been using since the 1970s. While they are buying them due to the Airbus delays, the comment makes them sound like newcomers to the Herc.

That's not strictly true. France is buying C-130J to act as tankers because A400 does not have the clearance (and probably never will) to tank helos.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

They're very different sized aircraft with different capabilities.

They both have loading ramps and propellers but that's where the similarities end really.

In simple terms the Herc can carry 20 tons the A400 37 tons, it's cargo hold is also taller and wider, so a wider range of vehicles can be carried, especially as they are tending to get wider.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

That's not strictly true. France is buying C-130J to act as tankers because A400 does not have the clearance (and probably never will) to tank helos.

50% true again, as only two machines will be KC-130J.

There's still a real need to supplement the shrinking Transall fleet in the pure tactical transport role.

The reason for the Luftwaffe buying those is expressly cited to Support Special Forces operations, as far as I have read. The Herc may be better suited for that specific purpose due to its smaller size. In the end the A400 will make the grade, but really the recurring problems are a nuisance - but I may be biased as a shareholder :-)

This is my post #1000, but there'll be no champagne.

I would love to see photos of the underside of the Atlas they trialled at Woodbridge for rough terrain ops. They really threw some sand and stones about, and that is a composite skin. Informed sources think that airframe will have a limited flying life ahead of it. :hmmm:

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The reason for the Luftwaffe buying those is expressly cited to Support Special Forces operations, as far as I have read. The Herc may be better suited for that specific purpose due to its smaller size. In the end the A400 will make the grade

A400 for Tac Ops? Not a chance. It's too big, too vulnerable and, in all liklihood will never be able to do sim stick drops owing to the propwash.The RAF aren't even thinking about an airdrop RTS for A400 until after C-130 is retired. I suspect that Hereford will apply pressure to keep C-130 in service

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would love to see photos of the underside of the Atlas they trialled at Woodbridge for rough terrain ops. They really threw some sand and stones about, and that is a composite skin. Informed sources think that airframe will have a limited flying life ahead of it. :hmmm:

C-130J has a problem with rough strip ops owing to impact damage causing delamination of the props (anyone who has operated a Herc off a rough strip will know about selecting reverse and watching the cloud of dust and stones moving forward to abeam the flight deck windows - any more reverse and you can't see); A400 will have this problem in spades.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Only the wing skins and props are composite the fuselage is very much a conventional riveted aluminium structure. If they have any sense they'll have covered the surfaces likely to be damaged with the same polyurethane film the RAF uses on their Hercs.

Cant help thinking that we should have kept the Belfast a bit longer as compared to the Atlas they are about the same size. I know technology moves on but my point is that they all have their strengths be it Globemaster Atlas or Hercules. The Belfast was handy to have around if it was too big for the Herc.Also if the size and weight of equipment needed at the front line  keeps going up then "we're gunna need a bigger plane guv".

Edited by Britman
missing words.