Gloster Gladiator wartime cowling

I've never heard nor read about any variations to the Gladiator cowling. It was basically the same all through production.

Chris

It's hard to imagine the need to make changes so late in the design's service life. With a few exceptions out of front line service, a few left in met. flights.

extra link

spacer.png

Hi

only one i  recall reading about in an the RAF yearbook ?  magazine in the 70's

was one of the malta three getting a blenheim engine and cowling to get it repaired 

cheers

jerry 

ps 

found link to a photo

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/vintage-aircraft-aircraft-malta--571886852682873615/

Edited by brewerjerry
extra info
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Because I purchased the AIMS pre-war cowl for Roden kit 🫣 

I know, I know...

So what are the differences between the Roden cowling and the AIMS one?  That might give us a hint where to look - if real,, presumably between those on the Mk.I and those on the Mk.II?  Or is it simply that the kit example is poor, for some reason?

Might be they're saying, as the packaging says 'Pre-war and 'Post-war', that the museum cowling Roden modelled from is a post war construct in some way?

Don't know to be honest but I put an extra sugar in my tea earlier and these thoughts just come out sometimes.

Andrew

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

So what are the differences between the Roden cowling and the AIMS one?

the only one I know is that the Roden cowling is, for no very apparent reason, in three segments and quite tricky to assemble into a true circle without making a jig, whereas the AIMS one appears to come in one piece

4 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

onky one i  recall reading about in an the RAF yearbook ?  magazine in the 70's

was one of the malta three getting a blenheim engine and cowling to get it repaired 

cheers

jerry 

The props of a few SeaGladiators was changed from a fixed-pitch 3 blade Fairey-Reid to variable-pitch de Havilland prop, modified with shortened blades.

No changes were made to the cowling.

Chris

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

So what are the differences between the Roden cowling and the AIMS one?  That might give us a hint where to look - if real,, presumably between those on the Mk.I and those on the Mk.II?  Or is it simply that the kit example is poor, for some reason?

If there are any differences I don't see them, hence the question.

I wonder if the difference is a restoration collector ring from a Canadian-built and used Blenheim/Bolingbroke with the cabin heater duct holes plated over

49527464873_d1babc6077_b.jpg

as opposed to not there in the first place

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.100736961.1559897

as pointed out to me by @dogsbody Chris in my Gladiator build thread a while ago.

The three piece cowling is fiddly to put together but not difficult,taping together is the thing to do.

EksgKZk.jpg

Getting it circular afterwards is another thing though.

• Like 3

Final 240 Gloster Gladiators ordered by the RAF 20 a/c N5575 to N5594, 30 a/c N5620 to N5649, 50 a/c N5680 to N5729, 40 a/c N5750 to N5789, 50 a/c N5810 to N5859, 50 a/c N5875 to N5924

Gladiator II Exports taken from RAF order, Air 8/362 notes no aircraft exports in September 1939 and Gladiator exports October to December 1939 are put at 15 Portugal, 18 Egypt and 6 Norway.
15 Portugal N5835 to 49
18 Egypt, N5875 to 5892 called L9030 to 47 on the contract cards, their Egyptian serials
6 Norway N5919 to N5924

The RAF serials around the Portugal order were built in late July 1939, no gap in delivery dates.  Showing the Portugal order was built either earlier or later.  There is a gap in RAF delivery dates with the serials up to N5898 delivered in mid to late September, then N5899 to N5902 in mid October then N5903 onward from mid January 1940.

The Egyptian order have dates of August and September 1939, in line with the RAF serials

Norway serials 427, 433, 435 delivered 24 Oct 39, 429 and 431 on 27 Oct 39, 425 on 26 Oct 1939, though they were the last RAF serials they were built 7 to 8 months before production stopped.

The production reports miss 7 exports, without them production is 39 from September 1939 to April 1940 inclusive.  The missing aircraft were probably built in September 1939.  Monthly Gladiator production June 1939 to April 1940 was 48, 39, 27, 12, 4, 7, 0, 7, 4, 2, 3, plus 7 more for export. Gloster produced its first Hurricanes in October 1939, production to April 1940 being 2, 13, 17, 34, 34, 56, 69.

• Like 2

Total shot in the dark from a non-expert here, but I notice the SBS set includes the engine. Could the diff be there instead of the cowl? Arrangement of the little intakes between the cylinders, cowl braces details, etc.?

Edited by MDriskill

On 3/21/2024 at 12:05 PM, dragonlanceHR said:

I can not for the life of me find in words or pictures what are the differences between the pre-war and wartime Gloster Gladiator cowlings.

What am I missing?

Can it be without (pre-war) or with (late) the cutout for the carburettor air intake in the rear of the cowling? I will post pictures later today.

• Like 1