1/350 Scale - HMCS Regina Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the End of the Battle of the Atlantic

Year 2020 marked the 75th Anniversary of the End of the Battle of the Atlantic.  To commemorate this anniversary, the Royal Canadian Navy selected two ships (HMCS Moncton and HMCS Regina) to receive paint schemes similar to the Admiralty dazzle/disruptive paint schemes carried by RCN ships during WWII.  The final paint scheme designs were based on the scheme carried by HMCS Ottawa II, a WWII 'G' class destroyer.  I selected HMCS Regina for this build.

HMCS Regina (FFH 334) is one of 12 Halifax (City) Class frigates currently serving with the Royal Canadian Navy.   Regina was commissioned in 1994 and completed a significant modernization/life extension refit in 2016.  The Battle of the Atlantic commemorative paint scheme was applied in 2019.

I could only find one 1/350 model kit for this build - a resin kit from Iron Shipwrights.  Unfortunately, the quality of this kit left a lot to be desired.  I ended up having to do a lot of scratch building to repair the resin kit parts & make the parts needed for the 2016 refit.  This being my first model in 1/350 scale & the amount of scratch building required resulted in a few challenges.  The In Progress build thread can be found here.

Here's the end result.

53594366515_9539c13057_c.jpg

The RCN frigates' Sea King helicopters were replaced starting in 2018 by Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone helicopters.  At the time of the Regina build, there were no 1/350 scale Cyclone models available.  As a result, the Cyclone became a mini scratch build project for Regina.  The completed Cyclone is shown in the following photo.

53594243704_e14eec57ef_c.jpg

Here's a few photos of the completed HMCS Regina model;

53597674322_1d62bfca95_b.jpg

53593050302_2b2cfeac83_c.jpg

53594130798_60447c391b_c.jpg

53593053572_ff1d9432da_c.jpg

Beartrap helicopter pull down device on the flight deck

53594252029_6bdc36724d_c.jpg

53593157897_432d0a9b61_c.jpg

53593160777_9c8c9e24ab_c.jpg

53591433896_cb05b578ff_k.jpg

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely stunning build John I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you create this masterpiece.  :worthy:

I have also learned a lot from the build and will use these tips on my builds to hopefully get as good a result in future.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

Like Beefy said - a masterclass in scratchbuilding and innovation with fastidious attention to detail that has produced a unique and Wonderful Model.

What a tribute to the original and it's celebration.

Hugely inspirational :clap2:

Congratulations  John

What's the next project going to be?

Rob

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Absolutely stunning build John I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you create this masterpiece.  :worthy:

I have also learned a lot from the build and will use these tips on my builds to hopefully get as good a result in future.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Like Beefy said - a masterclass in scratchbuilding and innovation with fastidious attention to detail that has produced a unique and Wonderful Model.

What a tribute to the original and it's celebration.

Hugely inspirational :clap2:

Congratulations  John

What's the next project going to be?

Rob

Thanks beefy and Rob.  Very much appreciated.  

I've learned a lot as well beefy.   First time I've scratch built at 1/350 scale.

Rob, my next project is sitting on my desk.

53600817040_d6c2898c26_z.jpg

My kids gave me the Anycubic 3D printer while I was immersed in the Regina build.  I couldn't find the time to learn how to use the printer.  Regina is done & it's time to learn how to use the printer.  I wish I knew how to use it when I was making the Cyclone.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 2

Congratulations on a truly superlative build. I have followed along with great interest as you progressed with this project. I was fortunate enough to see this ship in this camouflage pass by me at close range off the east coast of Vancouver Island as it made its way through a narrow channel between the Southern Gulf Islands. What struck me was how silent it was. I was reading on my deck and had I not looked up I most likely would never has seen it. I hear the tugs, ferries and freighters all the time, but this ship just whispered as it made its way. Truly remarkable.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Richard E said:

That John, is a museum class replica.

14 hours ago, Kyle H said:

Fantastic work John! I really like the Cyclone too. 

14 hours ago, one72 said:

Congratulations on a truly superlative build. I have followed along with great interest as you progressed with this project. I was fortunate enough to see this ship in this camouflage pass by me at close range off the east coast of Vancouver Island as it made its way through a narrow channel between the Southern Gulf Islands. What struck me was how silent it was. I was reading on my deck and had I not looked up I most likely would never has seen it. I hear the tugs, ferries and freighters all the time, but this ship just whispered as it made its way. Truly remarkable.

Thanks for your kind comments.  

one72, thanks for sharing your story.  I saw HMCS Regina in the Esquimalt dockyard last May.  She looked a little plain back in her overall grey paint job, compared to the camo scheme.  lol

52900068535_ab20df4a6a_c.jpg

Super result John, I have been an avid follower of this one, your attention to detail has been an inspiration, I think that you can give yourself and of course the trained mast spiders a well deserved pat on the back/body/thorax or whatever is deemed appropriate.

Looking forward very much to your next adventure !!

Cheers

David  

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2024 at 10:44, Andy H said:

What can I add? Beautiful model of 'something different'. :clap:

22 hours ago, javlin said:

That's some Nice work and skillset John came out beautiful.:worthy:

Thanks for you kind feedback.

John

• JohnWS changed the title to 1/350 Scale - HMCS Regina Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the End of the Battle of the Atlantic

I traced your build with great interesting. Fantastic model, eye-catching camouflage and great details. Gratulations!

Michal

• Thanks 1

What a marvellous, and original, subject; I had no idea these Admiralty schemes had been rolled out again on contemporary vessels. Good work.

• Thanks 1

This is truly impressive. And I cannot get my head around the fact you scratchbuilt that tiny helicopter! I would not know where to start. BZ!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible work and colour scheme. I confess I had read the WIP thread and on multiple occasions thought "it must be finished now" only to see more detail being expertly added! Great to see it finished to such a high standard. 

• Thanks 1