1/72 - Basler BT-67 - A&A

Konrad

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AAModels.scalekits/posts/pfbid0CbcQ2qkfridjPRiX4kC92UWzwmnpVLptLrNRZRJeP7DBsFSUWrTEPyVRuQWFmjCFl

Dear friends,

Happy to announce that we are going to release The Basler BT-67 utility aircraft in 1/72 scale.

This airplane is based on the famous Douglas DC-3, equipped with a more powerful turboprop engines, longer and reinforced fuselage, modified wing and upgraded avionics.

Our kit costists of 170 plastic parts and comes with painting masks and decals for 3 liveries, as follow:

- US Forest Service;

- Theia Aviation;

- Ken Borek Air

Interior set is included

Though the question: origin from the donor kit? I mean the 1/72nd Douglas DC-3 kit from? Or new tool kit?

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Well there goes my $, I can finally do the Columbian turboprop AC-47. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWings/comments/gbh93d/basler_bt67_gunship/?rdt=64745

https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/blog/80-years-dc-3s-maiden-flight-colombian-c-47-combat-role-2/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

17 minutes ago, Homebee said:

The question, origin from the donor kit? I mean the 1/72nd Douglas DC-3 kit from?

Amodel made Li-2 based on ESCI, but that was in the days before the new Airfix or Hobby Boss. From a certain point of view, ESCI is still the best donor because it is the safest one.

Definitely going to need one of these. The three schemes in the kit are good but there are plenty of other great schemes to do as well. Draw Decals has the Alfred Wegener Institute covered, which is very tempting. Really needs skis!

• Like 1

Airfix is shape wise still the best as a base  as they are the only one that have the crossections right …but the Esci is best second runnerup albiet underscaled!

This is a opinion I have after flying 39 years of DC3’s as a pap and modeller

I have the alleycat conversions which are super 👌 for the Airfix 

They only thing A&A have in their favor is that they have the BT67 in one box at a fair price and I am very interested in what they make of it!

I will certainly by one ☺️and I love their effort to tackle tis subject 👍

The A-model Li2 is not bad at all by the way and better than the Esci 😜 as a base !

But they say new molds, and the fuselage needs to be longer as well so maybe it is a complete new tooling!

Just my two cents 😆

cheers, Jan

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AAModels.scalekits/posts/pfbid0CbcQ2qkfridjPRiX4kC92UWzwmnpVLptLrNRZRJeP7DBsFSUWrTEPyVRuQWFmjCFl

The question, origin from the donor kit? I mean the 1/72nd Douglas DC-3 kit from ?

V.P.

The maker says "new molds".  I have seen the parts breakdown, and it has nothing in common with Esci, Italeri/Airfix, Hobby Boo-boo or Amodel.  Most control surfaces seem to be separate parts (and I say "seem to be" only because I see separate elevators, rudder and ailerons, but the wing halves look to have ailerons molded in place, and I don't see separate flaps...), doors all look to be separate (cargo doors for certain, forward crew door "looks to be"), extended wingtips are molded on (so, not a DC-3 wing as molded), two-piece bench seats (separate backs and seats, like the Airfix 1/48 Sea King for one example), weighted and un-weighted tyres.  So both parts and breakdown are very different from any 1/72 DC-3 kit I am familiar with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

But they say new molds, and the fuselage needs to be longer as well so maybe it is a complete new tooling!

The fuselage is longer, thanks for pointing out that change, it is reflected in the parts layout map. Two windows and a bit of real estate added forward of the wing.

• Like 1

It is said "170 plastic parts" and "complete interior" (seats were in ESCI I think, but number of parts was smaller) -  so maybe it is a new tool....

This is amazing news, and so unexpected that I nearly dropped my bedtime cocoa last night when it came up on Facebook. I have the Alley Cat conversion kit to do but a mainstream injection kit is just not something I would ever expect to see. I live in renewed hope that some others on my 1/72 civil wishlist - HS 748 (why never, just vacs?), Bae 146 (please, cheaper than Combat Kits), HP Hermes, AW Apollo (aaah!), Hurel-Dubois HD34 - will happen one day. But I digress. On the BT-67, as Basler tells anyone who goes on its wonderful factory tour at Oshkosh during EAA Airventure (sadly they are not running them this year), the airframe contains very little original DC-3/C-47 - just the minimum required so the company did not have to apply for a costly new type certificate. Certainly one of the three I saw on the line last year was so stripped down it looked like a new airframe. So when looking for accuracy issues on panel lines etc it's probably best to do it with another BT-67 and not a DC-3.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Unless I'm misreading it - the ailerons seem to be moulded on the wings but also are available as separate parts as well....?

Quite a reasonable solution - whoever wants to, makes a kit straight out of the box. Those wishing to do so can cut out this or that and insert the ready-to-use part instead.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LanceB said:

".  I have seen the parts breakdown, and it has nothing in common with Esci, Italeri/Airfix, Hobby Boo-boo or Amodel.

Airfix has its own distinct tooling, two of them actually. Yes, they did briefly rebox the Italeri kit after their original 1960’s vintage DC-3/ AC-47 tooling wore out, but the current kit is an Airfix original from the wheels up.

The kit is probably based on the Airfix one, which is a very good thing. Some clues: wing spar, wing centre section... 

It would be great if the panel lines would be toned down a bit.

2 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Quite a reasonable solution - whoever wants to, makes a kit straight out of the box. Those wishing to do so can cut out this or that and insert the ready-to-use part instead.

Yes I’m well aware it is a reasonable suggestion and how it could be used, I was simply checking I hadn’t misread the sprue layout but thank you. 

20 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Yes I’m well aware it is a reasonable suggestion and how it could be used, I was simply checking I hadn’t misread the sprue layout but thank you. 

Since we are looking at the drawing - at least two versions of the wheels can be seen. Modification for another box with skis?

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CarLos said:

The kit is probably based on the Airfix one, which is a very good thing. Some clues: wing spar, wing centre section... 

It would be great if the panel lines would be toned down a bit.

I agree as there are certain (a lot)parts exactly the same as in the Airfix Dak !

Take the horizontal stabilizers (exactly the same shape) , glassparts , gear parts…….

Is this a bad thing? No not at all and I hope it has the spoked wheel, at least I have one on preorder at the aviation megastore…

Lets hope it has the outer leading edge in a concave shape as well then it will be a cracker !

I only can’t find a clear part for the cockpit escape hatch which is seen on these aircraft as well!

cheers, Jan

8 hours ago, CarLos said:

6 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I agree as there are certain (a lot)parts exactly the same as in the Airfix Dak

My wallet hates you both!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3