FW-190D-9 “blue 12” hasegawa 1/32

Hello everyone.

This one is finally off my bench after a few months of work. I don’t usually take this long, but alas I’m happy with the result.

I used the following…

hasegawa 1/32 fw-190d-9

quickboost cowling, spinner and prop

quinta studio cockpit interior

Hgw seatbelts

eduard brassin flaps

1manarmy stencil masks

eaglecals set for serial number

a whole lot of research and self torment.

So this is my rendition of the famously heavily photographed “blue 12” which surrendered at Furth may 1945. Some small bits I took some artistic license, but I’ll get into that later.

p?i=11abecc495c55c60029a681fbdd70dc9

p?i=3527dcc2e6c3fde748057c021e323e84

p?i=cfca8a2617016aad1c19c6df5f240838

p?i=77e190ab5ecd7af27763a1973c56ff61

p?i=2f71a7de758e8ff4537374212852e617

p?i=ddd82b5f994d492c2b7cf6a45dd54e47

p?i=9111591fdf783cb01304adc53e04c526

p?i=03786bd91a5215e77a2bce36da006add

p?i=e894dd7e6864df007a0846c784fcb5a2

p?i=62e810380c9786eacb493bfe6502a2c4

For this build I used the abundance of research pics of this aircraft that are available, as well the few that came with the eaglecals set. However I’m less impressed with the set as I intended to only use the serial number, the “E9”, and the “12”. However for some reason, the “1” is smaller than the “2” in the 12. It makes no sense why they’ve done that as every photo I’ve seen of the thing doesn’t show this. Hence I made my own mask for that by painstakingly drawing and cutting it out of paper, tracing onto masking sheet and cutting that out. To make things worse I botched its placement on first go and had to use the mask 3 times…

anyways it wasn’t anything I couldn’t fix and there was a lot of that in this build. Just sand it back and give it another go…

The colours of blue 12. Experts on the subject lean towards the top of the wings being 77/81, or 76/81, however in my honest opinion that may have well been the case for later Mimetall machines. My theory is that early ones such as 570 here had the standard grey wings, which were then painted 81 on the underside, either by factory or at unit level until Mimetall found their “groove” and painted the whole thing in 81 etc. my source for this theory being machine 581 pictured here (only a few airframes from blue 12) clearly having the grey tops, but notice landing gear doors being that dark colour still indicating to me rlm81, which can clearly be seen also on the famous colour photo of blue 12.

p?i=49d9a42096a17da13a7cb90f5364a4d1

I don’t own this particular book but in the next image of it I’ve seen, a more side on view of the Dora shows this landing gear door with a dark colour.

paints were mostly my blends of gunze products to get them right. Nobody does a decent 81 in my opinion, even ak’s three options don’t do it for me. I’ve got the blends written down somewhere if anyone’s interested.

I did use ak’s late war yellowish 76 though, that one is spot on.

the whole this dirtied up with a brown panel wash, followed by a flat clear, then I went to work on rendering individual panels with oil paint. Sepia to shade the edges, cream brown for dust and dirt streaks along the sides, and burnt sienna to mix in with the dust to muddy it up a bit. Keeping source material in mind, also concentrate on corners and panel lines where oil and dirt would find purchase on the real machine to build up. It creates a very convincing effect and well worth the hours spend getting it right.

base was just a piece of foam board with ak dark earth “soil”. I found it too dark so I lightened it with acrylic paint, with a sepia oil paint wash. Grass flocking was a mix 3-4mm different shades all mixed together with a pinch of 12 blades thrown in. I applied with scenic glue and my peco static grass applicator. Sides are just bulsa cut to size and oil pained sepia to make the grain pop a bit. Whole thing was then bombed with flat clear to take the gloss out of the scenic glue one dried.

I had every intention of including the MPs arresting the pilot like in the phot but I failed miserably at recreating the figures. I figured it was best to leave them out. I find a solution I can always add it later on.

hope you all enjoy, and take a bit of inspiration like I do from your work I see on here.

p?i=953b8a5b4ef75bd5e32d5a8e8a657187

p?i=ed62220d9a75fb28601d1087510242bd

p?i=5236692a77fa0fa5a898d9c532a1f6f4

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3

Congrats - excellent work.  In many ways, it's more difficult to model a much-photographed a/c than it is to model a less-photographed one and that is a superb result.

A lot of hard work but, wow was it worth it...😲

Absolutely fantastic rendition of Blue 12, the detail and weathering is excellent and is a credit to your attention to detail. 👍 👏👏👏

Stunning...

Watto.  🎖

Fantastic looking Dora.  It shows you have spent an inordinate amount of time making sure you got things right for the particular aircraft you modeled.  Just great work.  Thanks for sharing.

Brilliant piece of modelling! She looks, for lack of a less worn expression, 'real'.

She also gives that well researched impression, small details that one wouldn't come up with when winging a 'general' finish, including the cause/effect weathering style. That subtle paint wear on the radio hatch hinge, for example…

Impressive work. As the Romans liked to say, "nihil sine labore"; nothing (of value) without work.

Kind regards,

Joachim