Bf110G-4 at Farnborough, 1945. ++++FINISHED++++

Just going to put this here and walk away quietly until February when I come back to it...

spacer.png

Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
It's go time
  • Like 19
  • Haha 1

That's good news that you're joining in Mark.  Your builds are always worth watching so I'll be banging on the door if you're late 😁  (metaphorically speaking that is, you're a long way away from here ...... :rofl:)

cheers

Rob

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Yes! Great choice of subject, what scale/kit are you planning, Mark?

This one is going to be the Eduard 1/48 kit.  It looks fabulous in the box but I've read of fit problems, will see how I go on that.

• Like 2

Welcome, Mark :) I'm looking forward to this one, all of your captured series of builds have been fantastic, and I don't doubt that this one will be as well. I'm also thoroughly enjoying following the Stearman

James

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2024 at 20:42, 81-er said:

Welcome, Mark :) I'm looking forward to this one, all of your captured series of builds have been fantastic, and I don't doubt that this one will be as well. I'm also thoroughly enjoying following the Stearman

James

That Stearman is proving to be a stubborn so and so as it actively pushes back on my attempts to bring it to a finish.  Good thing it’s a leap year and I have an extra day to meet my February start date.

On 13/01/2024 at 02:32, mark.au said:

I've read of fit problems, will see how I go on that.

Yeah, you'll experience those...

I had a long-running struggle with mine (see below)

• Like 1

• mark.au changed the title to Bf110G-4 at Farnborough, 1945. [Place-Marker Until Late-ish February]
12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I had a long-running struggle with mine (see below)

Yours was the one I was thinking about when wrote that.  But, towards the end @Troy Smith linked to thread that provided some great tips on fit management which will come in very handy.

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

It’s February.

Just saying….

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

Good thing it’s a leap year and I have an extra day to meet my February start date.

😊

• Like 3

Putting a new model on the bench brings with it a sense of anticipation and excitement to our otherwise somewhat reserved and sedentary hobby.  Still in its un-started state, wrapped in crisp plastic, it is still perfect.  Our mind's eye can picture it finished.  Flawless in our imagination; nothing has gone wrong, no parts lost or broken, the details perfectly picked out and weathered to historic accuracy.  All of the PE was installed exactly where it was supposed to go, resin parts unbroken, and there are no globs of CA paint to distract the eye from the replicated part(s) they depict.  Everything lines up, there are no visible seams and the paintwork is flawless, in both execution and application.  There are no silvered decals, and certainly none are wrinkled or split; all are beautifully rendered to a paint-like application.  The perfect canopy masking begot a resultant framing matched only in its crispness by the exquisitely detailed cockpit under it.  It is our best work, it looks exactly like we pictured when we lifted the lid that first time, it is [finally] the one where it all came together and was the ultimate expression of our art.

spacer.png

I'd better make a start...

Cheers.

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

• mark.au changed the title to Bf110G-4 at Farnborough, 1945. [Go Time]

A great insight. I recently read a book on C-PTSD where the author explores the four stress responses. A "fighter" imposes control. A "flighter" keeps busy-busy and runs a hamster wheel chasing perfection. A "freezer" spaces out and hides in the corner. And a "fawner" tells someone else how great they are.

As I am current "freezing" let me "fawn" and say I look forward to another work of art. To me, art is the struggle captured in an engaging form. Perfection is the realm of W. Edwards Deming, Quality Circles, and Six Sigma manufacturing. Yawn!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Imaging all of that, I don't think I ever need open another box again! Phew!:phew:

You could just stick the boxes in the display cabinet, then tell everyone what beaufitul models they are. A bit like the sustain scene from Spinal Tap:

• Haha 4

Just to prove this isn’t just a creative writing WIP, some progress.

There’s nothing very complex here, I’m very much a representative modeller as opposed to replicating.  

I base painted with RLM66 or 02 as applicable.  Next, a thin gloss coat which is tinted a little dirty as I find this creates depth in the same way as a wash does, but it saves a step :).  After detail painting (which isn’t finished yet) I dry brush with some SNJ aluminium powder which really pops the details and creates a metallic look to the paint, even where the aluminium isn’t immediately obvious.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used the kit decals in the cockpit but not on the radios/radars as I wasn’t totally sold on the decal look.  I will use the decals for the seatbelts though as I’ll be closing the cockpit on this one and they’ll look fine under the glass.

spacer.png

I have a bit more to do.  The weapons and ammo won’t be included as this is a captured aircraft, which saves a bit of effort in there.  As mentioned, still some details to paint as well.

Cheers.

• Like 22

You might only claim to be a representative modeller, but I can assure you your work is of the highest calibre, Mark! That's a lovely start on the cockpit, I'm looking forward to the next update

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, gents.

Over the weekend I pretty much finished the cockpit.

spacer.png

I tried something a little different for me on the seatbelts; while I used the decal for the rear facing seat and its belts, for the forward belts I cut the decal out with the backing paper still on it and simply glued them to the seat.  I used a dark wash to stain the edges where the paper was visible.  I think it worked quite well.

spacer.png

This is all ready now to button up and glue into the fuselage.  But first, taking a tip from other builds I want to check the wing/fuselage join, so I have started the wing assembly.

spacer.png

I began at the root to ensure the best alignment for the fuselage joint and let that set before working my way around the wing.

That’s it for now.  Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
I don’t proof read 🤷‍♂️
  • Like 19