HMS Prince of Wales - Tamiya 1/350

It has been a very long time since I dabbled in 1/350 ships (about a decade I estimate), but I was lured back by the idea of having a much larger and more comfortable "canvas" for Prince of Wales' messy 5-colour camouflage scheme. Of course, I then got tempted by extras, but after 8 months here she is.

Kit - Tamiya 1/350 HMS Prince of Wales

Photo-etch - Eduard

Wood deck - Mk.1 Design

Pom-poms - Black Cat Models

Rigging - Modelkasten 0.047mm (this stuff was fantastic and went a long way to releiving my dread of doing rigging again)

Paints - Revell Aqua and Humbrol Acrylics custom mixes (tried my best to get as close as I could to the wonderfully researched and presented camouflage profile on Sovereign Hobbies)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Gidday @Vlad, that is a superb model of the ship, the complex camo scheme is very neatly done. She's simply beautiful.

The actual ship had a short but eventful career. It is a pity what happened to her, and a wake-up call I think to the die hard big-gun advocates of the RN. Will you be doing HMS Repulse also?

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Jeff and Stu, that is absolutely Terrific.  Flawless Camo scheme and your mixes seem very close indeed.  The detail is flawless as far as i can make out - it really is a Corker :thumbsup:

Congrats

Rob

• Thanks 1

Such a lovely piece of work, Painting, rigging, all looks great! Wish there were more detail pictures. Also, I feel such a beautful model deserves a better pedestal then this boring piece of black plastic...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!

@ArnoldAmbrose funny thing is, the last 1/350 ship I built was Repulse, and she's still in the display cabinet. However, she is backdated to 1923/24 Empire Cruise appearance, not Force Z fit. I wasn't really intending this to be the start of a Force Z collection, it has certainly inspired me to continue dabbling in 1/350 occasionally (space allowing) but I have many other options.

I don't mind the pedestal too much, it is actually primed and painted black, even if the plastic was black to start with, which makes it look more uniform and matte. I put too much work into the plaque lettering to just ditch it.

• Like 1

Fantastic model, beautifully done 👍 the rigging looks very fine as well (I'm afraid of rigging, it's definitely the weakest part of my game along with aircraft canopies!)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Fantastic model, beautifully done 👍 the rigging looks very fine as well (I'm afraid of rigging, it's definitely the weakest part of my game along with aircraft canopies!)

Thanks! I bought the Modelkasten rigging wire specifically to try something new with rigging since I hadn't done it for years and my previous techniques were frustrating and unsatisfactory. It's still a bit painful, but that stuff is fantastic and way easier to work than nylon threads or messing with stretching sprues.

As for aircraft canopies, I swear by those pre-cut masking sets, takes all the hassle away.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:45 AM, beefy66 said:

Now that paint scheme is a lot of work and very well done.  :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

I appreciate the thought but I don't find this kind of camouflage hard work. Unlike some other dazzle schemes, there are no straight edges that need masking. Freehand the whole thing and it's very enjoyable and relaxing. 🙃 I draw the demarcations on first in pencil, then it's like a paint-by-numbers.

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2024 at 9:20 AM, The Naval Guy said:

Superb work! I love the rigging, and the nice camouflage too! If I may ask, what are the Revell colours that you used to paint the model? The paint colours look excellent!

Thank you very much!

Many of the colours are mixes, some not. Here's what I used:

Camouflage:

MS1 - Revell Aqua 78

507A - mix 50/50 Revell Aqua 74 and 79, with a tiny bit of 56 to make it more blue

MS3 - mix Revell Aqua 45 and 75 and a little Humbrol 78 to make it green

MS4 - mix 50/50 Revell Aqua 45 and 75

507C - Revell Aqua 76

MS3 mix I am the least happy with, next time I will try something based on Revell Aqua 67

Other:

Steel decks and turre tops - Revell Aqua 77

Hull antifouling - Revell Aqua 47

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Sir, she's a beaut!!! I especially like the colors and the overall look. I pondered acquiring her, but some time ago, Flyhawk announced her in 350th scale... So I'm waiting....

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, Vlad said:

Thank you very much!

Many of the colours are mixes, some not. Here's what I used:

Camouflage:

MS1 - Revell Aqua 78

507A - mix 50/50 Revell Aqua 74 and 79, with a tiny bit of 56 to make it more blue

MS3 - mix Revell Aqua 45 and 75 and a little Humbrol 78 to make it green

MS4 - mix 50/50 Revell Aqua 45 and 75

507C - Revell Aqua 76

MS3 mix I am the least happy with, next time I will try something based on Revell Aqua 67

Other:

Steel decks and turre tops - Revell Aqua 77

Hull antifouling - Revell Aqua 47

Thank you so much!