U.S.S. Ward DD-139 (1/350 by Black Cat)

22 minutes ago, Faraway said:

this one will be a tight fit on A4, but it should work.

Gidday Jon, Yeah, should just fit. Otherwise try it diagonal across the page. Looking at the hull against the ruler she looks just a tad shorter that an Airfix HMS Ajax kit in 1/600. And photocopying the scheme as templates - very clever - I'll have to remember that.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

@neilh removing 3D parts from the sprue, is a nightmare. My nemesis is the shoulder pads on Oerlikons 🤬. You’re right about painting them, if only they were in long lines, life would be easier. I used to spray them as they were and then touch up the paint when I took them off, now I take them off, lightly stick them with PVA to a piece of card, then spray them. This works better, especially when there are different colours for different pieces to consider.

Jon

I'll have to try that next time. I tried it with Blu tack and the force of the spray even at low PSI sent them flying towards the back of my spray booth.   😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psdavidson said:

I thought for a minute you were planning to paint the scheme on the cover of the book :shocked:

I'll be lurking in the corner

/P

That is a simple pattern, you should see some of the ones in the book. :drunk:
Jon

• Like 1

Base done.

p?i=37d1c2d3bb75613c4f0d56788b6e8fa6

As I was cleaning the hull, it struck me that it has quite a narrow beam.

So out of interest.......

p?i=09d0525394eda9524e3fbbde39db26d7

This is USS Ward compared to HMS Badsworth.

Jon

• Like 7

Quick question.

Does anyone know if ships of 1918 had a black, or any other colour, ‘boot topping’ ?

From all the pictures I can find from that period, it looks to me they didn’t.

Jon

This is certainly interesting. :popcorn:

I see a dark paint along the water's edge in the 2nd photo you showed. Do you reckon that is the anti-fouling? 

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

As I was cleaning the hull, it struck me that it has quite a narrow beam.

Gidday Jon, actually I don't think they did, they just look it due to the tapering of the hull. Compare their vital statistics (well, ships ARE referred to as 'she' 😁) with those of the similar vintage V & W class, the A through to H class, they are all about 310 - 315 feet long and have a beam of about 30 feet. The Hunt class were shorter but again had similar beam. The USN four-stackers had their maximum beam over a much shorter length so I guess in a way they had less usable deck.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

This is certainly interesting. :popcorn:

I see a dark paint along the water's edge in the 2nd photo you showed. Do you reckon that is the anti-fouling? 

Possibly.

Also, I been informed that the dazzle paint on WW1 ships, was sometimes painted over the ‘boot topping’. It seemed to depend on the whim of the captain.

So, I reckon I might add a thin black line between the dazzle and the red anti-foul. 
Jon

1 minute ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

maximum beam over a much shorter length so I guess in a way they had less usable deck.   

Jeff.

Your right, and it can be plainly seen in the photo, ‘modern’ ships get fatter close to the bow. So, as you say, less usable deck and I guess less usable place below the deck.

Jon

• Like 1

I've changed my mind, no boot topping.

p?i=b37d194b6bd0df109c618cf6c75e12af

I am impressed with some of the Master Brass parts that have been included with this kit.

The top pair are the propeller shafts and the bottom piece goes on the 24' Whale boat davit, don't know what its called. But they are fine bits of turned brass.

p?i=5897910e67f5bc6dfcf7fa088123f765

p?i=15abb2a09dbde482a6816f94de8fa399

Now the fun starts, as I try and make masks for the dazzle.

Although I'll probably spray everything white first.

Jon

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Griping spar and the bulbous things are called "Puddings".

Makes you wonder who comes up with these names but looking like a very good start Jon.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

It's called a Griping spar and the bulbous things are called "Puddings".

@beefy66 very early days yet, the dazzle fun has yet to start.

@robgizlu being a font of all knowledge, I don't suppose you know where the names come from ?

Jon

• Like 1

Gidday, this is just a guess, but if the straps that hold the whaler in are called 'gripes' then I'm assuming they hold the boat against that spar to keep it still while stowed, hence 'griping spar'. As I said, just a guess.

Puddings? You might have to go back to Nelson's day for that one but puddening is a rope fender on a boat, and these look like they're padding of sort. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

@robgizlu being a font of all knowledge, I don't suppose you know where the names come from ?

Jon

At the risk of being impudent - from my Admiralty "Manual of Seamanship 1951" :whistle:

In reality - Sorry No idea.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

White overall.

p?i=632eecc150ea7e75dd2b46651fdddd99

And I've got the drawing to as near as makes no odds to the model size. From this I will cut templates for the pattern.

Searchlight platform.

Nicely printed 3D lattice.

p?i=c150454d8ccb5dfbfae17df0a34829e6

I've got to say, some of these 3D printed parts are very scary.

Especially when I've only got one of them.

Jon

• Like 7

I've had a change of heart and added the boot topping as a very thin line. I wasn't going to, but I'm glad I have done.

p?i=0ee84f5f8565fffc9c99ff022212954e

So now she is ready to have her bottom masked, and the dazzle can commence.

Jon

• Like 7

A German modeller did the same thing with the 1/700 Flyhawk kit not long after the kit was released: LINK. The article is in German, but gives a rough idea of what he did.

Mike.

• Thanks 2

Next colour applied.

Colourcoats (US09) 5B Thayer Blue

p?i=bb08b54ae1e262ade437247e58550f3a

The next stage will be to cover the white, again, and the Thayer Blue and apply the dark blue.

p?i=80f5e793908d8a9d4cba2333e8039486

p?i=58fd9d96a998d3c576f469b5019a1236

@Tegethoff I hope you bought those shares in masking tape :giggle:

Jon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Faraway said:

@Tegethoff I hope you bought those shares in masking tape :giggle:

Jon

Thank you for the heads up! I was just off to put an offer in on the Chateau de Versailles, but heard @S-boat 55 has paused his construction so might have to wait until the new light cruiser is released in April... :banghead:

Looks very good so far! I'm watching with great interest 🙂 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gamevender said:

I gotta believe your's will be an improvement on it. 

We shall see, a ways to go yet.

Interesting to see the rigging and that split aerial, food for thought there.

Jon