U.S.S. Ward DD-139 (1/350 by Black Cat)

She's looking very good. :clap2:

I'm learning quite a lot on your technique to building and paint a ship in this type of scheme. 

How are you mostly applying paint to these small bits? Airbrush or hairy stick?

I prefer to airbrush everything I can except the smallest details, so I tend to paint batches of parts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

She's looking very good. :clap2:

I'm learning quite a lot on your technique to building and paint a ship in this type of scheme. 

How are you mostly applying paint to these small bits? Airbrush or hairy stick?

I prefer to airbrush everything I can except the smallest details, so I tend to paint batches of parts.

Thanks.

I use an airbrush for the bigger expanses. Hull, deck etc, I usually paint the tiny parts with a brush, simply because I do small sections at a time. That way I only have to remove a few parts at a time from the sprue/support. I used to spray small parts, but doing them section by section meant I usually didn’t use all the paint I’d thinned, and found after a time the paint ‘went off’ so was wasted. 
Jon

• Thanks 1

Aft gun deck and steering position.

p?i=cb4bc7ef48c4bf3bb7d17ca91f0341e7

p?i=53c20cde5df347f1aca91a060db8a99b

Next will be the last deck fittings, depth charge rails and thrower.

Jon

• Like 10

Cheers Rob.

Bit of paint touchup.

These railings attach to the outer edge of the deck, not the deck surface, which made fitting them to the curve much easier.

Jon

• Like 1

Last of the day, the main mast. 

p?i=63466398ae7672fefb6827a7c591ecf6

Soldered on the yard.

This mast is made up of two pieces of brass, the thicker below and the thinner above the crows nest, with the join under the crows nest.

Which I also soldered together.

Now this was a right fiddle, mounting the searchlight platform.

p?i=3075bb680d1b1bf06580810dac02130b

I've wedged the mast in pace with blutack, then lowered the platform down and applied thick CA. Solder would have been better but this assembly is just to ready to fall over, so soldering in this position is a non starter, so CA will have to do. 

AND I've still got railings to add to the platform, so the fiddling will continue for a while yet.

Although I suppose I could solder the platform, once the CA has dried.

Not sure what'll happen if I use a soldering on CA, anyone know if it's ok to do this ?

Jon

• Like 7

Wouldn't the CA block the heat or the solder itself from flowing?  maybe whack a bit of CA on some spare brass tube/rod and then see what happens with the soldering iron?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neilh said:

Wouldn't the CA block the heat or the solder itself from flowing?  maybe whack a bit of CA on some spare brass tube/rod and then see what happens with the soldering iron?

I’ll try what you suggest tomorrow, it depends how flammable CA is I suppose.

Jon

Googling suggests it is not flammable when dry ( highly flammable in its liquid state) but you should be very cautious about the fumes that will be given off when heated.

• Like 2

CA 

37 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I’ll try what you suggest tomorrow, it depends how flammable CA is I suppose.

Dried CA is flammable. I burn dried CA blobs off my applicator with a flame (usually my gas stove).

If you're using a torch to solder, it will flare up and burn. If you're using an iron, it will depend on the tip temperature and CA's ignition point. Bradbury taught us that paper has an ignition point of 451F (233C). My electronics soldering, with my spiffy Pinecil iron, is 320C.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

CA 

Dried CA is flammable. I burn dried CA blobs off my applicator with a flame (usually my gas stove).

Yep. I do this after nearly every usage of the applicator. I keep a little disposable lighter on the bench for just that purpose. 

Jeff

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jeff.M said:

Yep. I do this after nearly every usage of the applicator. I keep a little disposable lighter on the bench for just that purpose. 

Jeff

I do the same with my homemade 'wire and toothpick' CA applicator. Clean as a whistle with a (very satisfying) little flash and puff of smoke!

• Like 2

The finished mast.

I left the platform stuck with CA, it would have been a major juggling act to support it for soldering.

I added the rings on the yard, they are rigging eyes from Starling Models.

Jon

p?i=353b620f4de7d6d33e4da8eeddf0a984

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Damn Fine work young Man :coolio:

Soldered or CA'd?

Rob

Cheers. 

Soldered and CA'd.

I think the eyes are a bit over size, and thinking about it, perhaps should have used BB's.

Jon

Before I stop for today, I want to share a miracle with you.

p?i=ede5255e448c13ce7b2590674e00b03f

This is the mounting for the forward gun, (the left hand support is missing at the moment, but I do have it and will put it back shortly)

Anyway, this mounting thought it might be a good idea to leap from my tweezers and fly far and free, well you can imagine the resultant language :rant: and to make matters worse, there are no spares, unlike some parts, :wall:.

Luckily, I don't have a carpet but a wooden floor, (not that it stops the 'carpet' monster working its magic at times, you'd be amazed :yikes:how far tiny parts can bounce) and when I'd climbed down from the ceiling, I cast my eyes down and low, what do I see ?

Yes, this very mounting, sitting quite calmly by my left foot.

I just knew making those sacrifices to The Great God of Modelling : The Great and Worshipful Sprue were worth it.

So, in light of this miracle, I'm off to sit in a dark and peaceful room, doing any further work here, I think, is pushing my luck.

Jon

• Haha 11

G'day Jon, in this age of doom and gloom, when it seems that mankind (and womankind, let's not be sexist) is determined to dive head first down the black hole of self-inflicted social Armageddon there are the occasional miracle or two that convince us to battle on a little longer, take one more breath and not give up. You've obviously experienced such a Devine Enlightenment to encourage you to soldier on a little bit longer.

Me? I've still got kits in the stash that need doing and bottles of Cab Sav in the pantry that need drinking before the second and final 'Big Bang'. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

G'day Jon, in this age of doom and gloom, when it seems that mankind (and womankind, let's not be sexist) is determined to dive head first down the black hole of self-inflicted social Armageddon there are the occasional miracle or two that convince us to battle on a little longer, take one more breath and not give up. You've obviously experienced such a Devine Enlightenment to encourage you to soldier on a little bit longer.

Me? I've still got kits in the stash that need doing and bottles of Cab Sav in the pantry that need drinking before the second and final 'Big Bang'. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

Well said that poet of Modelling!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Regards, Jeff.

:ditto:
Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No dramas today.

Forward guns fitted, I believe the little one is a quick firer.

p?i=4dbb64541ca64d70bdc440b07c08849b

Funnel stays rigged.

p?i=878eece11d5c56ebea237c4c20d3cf28

Depth charges.

p?i=cf76aee37740877513c368b3bdde6d77

Boat and searchlight platform.

p?i=f5368f7015ee7d38bffcb1ba29e9063c

That'll do for today.

Jon

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Forward guns fitted, I believe the little one is a quick firer.

This is a 3-inch/23 cal anti-aircraft gun, the first purpose-designed anti-aircraft gun for the US Navy.

Maurice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1