U.S.S. Ward DD-139 (1/350 by Black Cat)

15 minutes ago, Tegethoff said:

Chateau de Versailles,

Went there years ago. 
Strange place, to get from one end to the other, you have to go through each room in turn, there are no connecting corridors. I also learnt, that the were no toilets in it when it was built, people used to use the corner of rooms, must have got a bit smelly.

Jon

Last of the day, whilst the paint dries I thought I'd add some PE window frames to the bridge.

Yes, you heard right, window frames. 

p?i=e46115481caab1281b4306bedcf9cad3

The instructions seem to suggest they go midway in the hole, but they sit nicely inside and I'm reluctant to try and mount them as shown, because if they bend there'll be no straightening them.

Jon

• Like 8

Oh, don't go by my rigging. I do what I call "representative" rigging, not necessarily accurate but it gives a general correct impression. The split antennae is called for in the instructions. They even give you the spreaders. Don't know if it's correct, but it looks cool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gamevender said:

Oh, don't go by my rigging. I do what I call "representative" rigging, not necessarily accurate but it gives a general correct impression. The split antennae is called for in the instructions. They even give you the spreaders. Don't know if it's correct, but it looks cool.

“Representative” is usually my chosen method at this scale, too much (or trying to imitate reality) I think can look messy. Although some people are very good at it. I went a bit bonkers with my RAF launch, but that was a bigger scale. 
I shall investigate further, the split aerials, and see if they can be spotted on any photos. 
As you say, they might not be correct, often some of these kit manufacturers get a bit carried away with ‘accuracy’

Jon

7 hours ago, gamevender said:

In the photos I have seen, of those ships that have antennae between the fore and mainmast you can just make out the first and last spreader bar, but there don't seem to be any in between. 

That’s what I’ve seen as well, I think the aerial only has fore and aft spreaders.

Jon

Gidday Jon, you don't hang about, do you? But then I've noticed that of you, occasionally. You're surging along with the camo scheme. And I love that "True Blue".

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, you don't hang about, do you? But then I've noticed that of you, occasionally. You're surging along with the camo scheme. And I love that "True Blue".

Regards, Jeff.

I seem to recall someone in the past has remarked on my speed of build, can't see it myself :whistle:

Choosing the colours was a bit random, I had to try and match the pictures with tins, and as Sovereign sell True Blue as an American colour, it seemed to make sense to use it.

Jon

• Like 1

Right that's that, hull dazzle done.

It's not a bad result for a first go at a fairly complicated pattern.

Tomorrow I'll mask it all again :doh:and paint the deck, THEN I can get on with the actual building.

Jon

p?i=d173d6745da442dd89ec9bbabedf7b43

p?i=2654bc98b718a93e432197ec56f2c875

• Like 11

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Great paint job Jon but is that a fault I see on the blue in the middle of the Starboard side.  :hypnotised:

beefy

Damn your X-ray vision, Superman.

Yes it is, the white came away with the tape. :rage:
Despite washing the hull, then degreasing the hull, then washing it again. I was going to and should have sanded it, but I was lazy and as she will be displayed showing the other side. 
I didn’t :blush:

Sorry.

Jon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy H said:

You could hide it behind a jolly-boat being lowered for a run ashore. 😉

I think I’ll just turn that side to the wall.

What the eye doesn’t see and all that.

Jon

2 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Did you prime it?

No, I’ve never had the need when using Colourcoats paint.

Also, some of the detail is so delicate that primer AND paint will cover some of it.

My normal treatment usually works, and this was a very small area, must have missed it.

Jon

• Like 1

Fair, I thought I'd ask just in case. I haven't used Enamels for years and when I did I wouldn't have primed either, but these days it's just part of the process for me I don't even think about it. It's like an insurance policy, since Halfords primer will stick well to anything and IMO doesn't drown details.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2

Deck painted.

p?i=6b74f21ddd6620498cfeecfd11f5dd06

So now I can start to add deck fittings etc.....

p?i=24aeaee6b98ee3761388c1bd919a9adc

Some of which aren't very big.

p?i=733686f7462b3b522f9e898c7185c8cd

Just for a change, I thought I'd assemble some of the larger (?) parts...

Torpedo tubes. Four sets.

p?i=62b0336287fb2bb1ec9167b9ce9b056b

p?i=dd8e4181a13d0a10677cdcaa7f588132

p?i=5a102447fcb8dcb883c5fc47796e4207

And just when things couldn't get much smaller.....

p?i=319555800e56c83a66724561b3f06924

And finally folks.

Anyone have any idea what part number 41 is ?

I'm thinking ammunition storage.

p?i=119aee976a0bcfc52daea01b676b1341

• Like 4

This all looks very good!

I'm curious, do you display the port side? I'm a stb'd man, myself.

Hm,I wonder if there's a connection to writing direction?

21 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Anyone have any idea what part number 41 is ?

I'm thinking ammunition storage

That was my 1st thought, too. The Bluejacket parts list for their USS Ward model lists 6x '4" ready service racks' and they're visible on the model.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

This all looks very good!

I'm curious, do you display the port side? I'm a stb'd man, myself.

Hm,I wonder if there's a connection to writing direction?

That was my 1st thought, too. The Bluejacket parts list for their USS Ward model lists 6x '4" ready service racks' and they're visible on the model.

I’ve always displayed the Port side, no idea.

Are you a left handed writer ?

I think you’re right about the ‘ready service racks’ there is nothing else they could be really, and there is another couple just behind the forward gun.

Jon

• Thanks 1