Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Me.410 Hornisse - Surprise release! - New tool

alt-92

Wow, didnt see that coming - I assume, though they don't seem to mention it, that the LIDAR'd the Cosford example as its one of only two extant survivors and the only one on display - Also again they dont mention that the Cosford scheme seems to be one of the decal options (there is a photo of two built examples but only artwork for one!)

TT

5 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Wow, didnt see that coming - I assume, though they don't seem to mention it, that the LIDAR'd the Cosford example as its one of only two extant survivors and the only one on display - Also again they dont mention that the Cosford scheme seems to be one of the decal options (there is a photo of two built examples but only artwork for one!)

TT

Profiles are up:

0bdac4f8-1fc2-4c0e-a727-6ccd45afb1b2

fd9b8a07-fc30-44f8-aadb-a9241605958c

b51d4ead-c981-4c2c-b059-0c5d745a80c9

b299f1c8-ab15-45cd-8b57-fbbff99bd796

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I like this kind of announcements without any hype.

7 minutes ago, The_Lancaster said:

Wow! Well done airfix, great subject choice! 

Completely agreed, whoever is in charge of Airfix PR/strategy is very clever!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Fullofit said:

Wonder how it’ll compare to the Fine Molds one?

One of the largest criticisms the FineMolds 410 received was that the engine nacelles were supposedly much too big.

• Like 1

Nice surprise from Airfix and a great subject choice. I think I may have to order one. This new direction of Airfix dropping surprises, either with new tools or classics, seems very popular. I hope they continue with this strategy.

• Like 7

Not something I would have guessed and if the other previous 410 kits have room for improvement then fair enough. Personally, I would have preferred a subject not previously kitted (aka - DH Venom, Manchester), however if this sells well for Airfix, then good for them. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Nice surprise from Airfix and a great subject choice. I think I may have to order one. This new direction of Airfix dropping surprises, either with new tools or classics, seems very popular. I hope they continue with this strategy.

Absolutely! I can’t help but feel the whole hype-building approach just runs away with itself and whatever Airfix has in mind never quite meets the expectations the hype has built. This way is quite refreshing, I hope they continue. 

I would even push as far to say, why don’t they ditch the large January announcement and just trickle feed us new releases throughout the year? Might be much more palatable and keep us interested all year round 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

One of the largest criticisms the FineMolds 410 received was that the engine nacelles were supposedly much too big.

I thought that they were said to be too small??  That's not something from personal observation, just wondering.  Either way, not desired.

I would be more interested in an early Me.210, but I can see why it wouldn't interest Airfix.  Or indeed any major producer.

9 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I thought that they were said to be too small??

Here's an example build. I think they look bigger than what the artwork suggests, but that could be me :)

https://www.modellversium.de/galerie/9-flugzeuge-ww2/14109-me-410-a-1-fine-molds.html

If this one's the Cosford bird scanned, then it would make a good comparison. I might actually replace my FM one then.

• Like 1

• alt-92 changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Me.410 - surprise! - New tool
5 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Here's an example build. I think they look bigger than what the artwork suggests, but that could be me :)

https://www.modellversium.de/galerie/9-flugzeuge-ww2/14109-me-410-a-1-fine-molds.html

If this one's the Cosford bird scanned, then it would make a good comparison. I might actually replace my FM one then.

Either way, the Fine Molds is flawed. I can't remember for sure if it's too small or big as it's been awhile since I last looked at the 410 :cowboy:

Very pleased! I've got to say, I'm really liking this way of announcing new kits. 

54 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Profiles are up:

0bdac4f8-1fc2-4c0e-a727-6ccd45afb1b2

fd9b8a07-fc30-44f8-aadb-a9241605958c

b51d4ead-c981-4c2c-b059-0c5d745a80c9

b299f1c8-ab15-45cd-8b57-fbbff99bd796

Big cannon version and one of a more normal looking variant. Fantastic!

16 minutes ago, Yes_Man said:

We finally got a 1/72 new tool this year! Based on recent Mosquito and Black Buck Vulcan cock-ups, I'll let the people in the know get hold of it first before I make a purchase. Still definitely interested though.

This thought did cross my mind... and even if lessons have been learned at airfix, it will take time to be reflected in plastic

• Like 1

Nice surprise announcement - been wanting one of these for a while, 1/48 preferred but will take one in 1/72. Really do like these surprise announcements from Airfix - so sneaky and under the radar, absolutely no prior info being leaked out whatsoever, it's brilliant!

• Like 1