Airfix 1:48 McDD F-4K Phantom FG.1 - FAA ?

Tiger331

39 minutes ago, Scooby said:

ZM have announced plans for a Brit Phantom in the future.

That's what worries me, as I doubt ZM will fix the poorly done canopy shape on its F-4 series.

Airfix would get that right, even if the framing is slightly exaggerated.

As Tamiya has gone bonkers over Lightning 2s, its delightful F-4B hasn't yet been further developed — though I still hope for a new F-4J in a Japanese carton with two stars in the corner.

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

ZM have announced plans for a Brit Phantom in the future.

You sure? I thought the reaction to the question whether ZM would do the Spey ones was something in the order of 'In your dreams' .

• Like 2

Back to the original thread of this one. I would absolutely love it if Airfix upscaled their British Phantoms to 1/48. They did it with the Buccs and whilst I have not built the 1/48 I have heard good things and the 1/72 was a lovely little kit. I am currently building the old Hasegewa FGR2 in its Revell reboxing and whilst good. very dated by todays standards, The only Spey engine 1/48 phantom out there though I believe.  Wouldn't it be lovely if Tamiya did one but that will never happen so we can only hope for Airfix to do one. There must be a huge demand out there for these versions of the F4 being the ones significantly different in their engine configurations as well as the fantastic schemes of the classic RAF camo, the grey and red tail, black mike, and the stunning Royal Navy versions. 

I guess that if you are a manufacturer then basing a kit around the american phantom gives you so many options of variants without to much change but the British ones are very specific..  Tell you what though Airfix if you are listening if you do it will sell like hot cakes and ill be one of the first to grab a few. .. we can but hope. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Greg B said:

Keep to the topic please Gents, not wishlisting as per the requirements of the rumourmonger area.

Isn’t this whole thread wishlisting?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, andy wood said:

Isn’t this whole thread wishlisting?

Nope, it’s the discussion in regards to Airfix doing a single, specific type following on in there current common theme of 48 scale FAA aircraft. What was wishlisting was the 1/2 dozen threads that were hidden,  branching off to what other types that Airfix should really be doing in their opinion. That’s wishlisting.

22 hours ago, Phantomroffe said:

Back to the original thread of this one. I would absolutely love it if Airfix upscaled their British Phantoms to 1/48. They did it with the Buccs and whilst I have not built the 1/48 I have heard good things and the 1/72 was a lovely little kit. I am currently building the old Hasegewa FGR2 in its Revell reboxing and whilst good. very dated by todays standards, The only Spey engine 1/48 phantom out there though I believe.  Wouldn't it be lovely if Tamiya did one but that will never happen so we can only hope for Airfix to do one. There must be a huge demand out there for these versions of the F4 being the ones significantly different in their engine configurations as well as the fantastic schemes of the classic RAF camo, the grey and red tail, black mike, and the stunning Royal Navy versions. 

I guess that if you are a manufacturer then basing a kit around the american phantom gives you so many options of variants without to much change but the British ones are very specific..  Tell you what though Airfix if you are listening if you do it will sell like hot cakes and ill be one of the first to grab a few. .. we can but hope. 

As long as it isn't up-scaled from the 1/72 kit, as the panel lines need to be much more subtle, and the canopy frames (ideally) engraved on a flush surface, definitely not prominent as if on a WW2 era bomber.  

With that kind of more gentle treatment I'd definitely buy a pair on release. We can indeed but hope.

Tony 

• Like 1

I'm not getting my fingers burnt as in Victor and Buccaneer where I had the older kits with buying a Hasegawa version only for a new one to come out :) so I'm not going to buy a Hasegawa/Revell one until a newer one appears, however long that will be, it had better be before a Jaguar though as I've got a GR1 teasing me on the shelf daring me to make it before a new one comes out

Although exclusively UK I'd have honestly thought the K/M would have had more takers in the kit world than it has, but then a Sea King didn't either but anyway to me it's the best looking one (looks more beefy with the wider fuselage) and it still a Phantom and to echo above I've never had a whiff of ZM doing one, having said that who's to say a rumour will surface in the future about Arifix doing one because of this thread lol

6 hours ago, Greg B said:

the discussion in regards to Airfix doing a single, specific type following on in there current common theme of 48 scale FAA aircraft.

It seems unlikely there will be much to feed the rumour mill for this unless someone observes a scan being done in a museum. So we can only really speculate; but on the balance of probability and ticks in various (Aifix) boxes I personally think a 1/48 F-4K/M kit has to be a dead cert, just really a matter of sooner or later, probably wihin the next 5 years. With the posiible exception of no overseas operators, it seems to fit the Westland Sea King selection criteria / template very closely; and a Phantom has a significant additional level of interest all of its own. If they do take it on I hope  it's to the same standard as the Sea King.   

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, alt-92 said:

You sure? I thought the reaction to the question whether ZM would do the Spey ones was something in the order of 'In your dreams' .

I thought it was announced in one of the OldMans blogs.

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_088.html  indeed. 
We will see :) the pace of release suggests it might be a good couple of years away.

@tony.t : what is your opinion on the level of surface detail on the last 3 releases - i.e. the Bucc, Anson and Sea King?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RichG said:

It seems unlikely there will be much to feed the rumour mill for this unless someone observes a scan being done in a museum.

Rich

From what l remember Airfix did all the scans for their 1/72 Phantom at the Ulster Aviation Society, so they probably have the raw data already.

Regards

Robert 

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

From what l remember Airfix did all the scans for their 1/72 Phantom at the Ulster Aviation Society, so they probably have the raw data already.

Regards

Robert 

They scanned the one at Duxford as the UAS one was in bits at the time, that scanning was quite a while ago so higher definition data is probably possible now. 

On 17/10/2023 at 19:19, stever219 said:

as is the decision not to downscale the 1/48th Javelin and Sea Vixen to 1/72th.

I suspect this is now more of a haven't done it yet than not going to go it given that they did the Meteor

10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

We will see :) the pace of release suggests it might be a good couple of years away.

“It's up to you to keep us running until we complete the whole series of F-4 Phantom, from the J-type to the S, C, D, J (Marine ver.) types, then to each E, F, G and EJ long-nose types, to eventually finish with the Spey engine mounted types.” 

Decades away by the sounds of it!

• Haha 1

Well, we're up to early E and G right now. 

Sooo... just the late E & F to go, then we can get a complete new kit for the FG.1/FGR.2. 
Unless we first get some RF-4C/E's in between that is.

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Well, we're up to early E and G right now. 

Sooo... just the late E & F to go, then we can get a complete new kit for the FG.1/FGR.2. 
Unless we first get some RF-4C/E's in between that is.

ZM have already announced the RF-4.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 9:41 AM, alt-92 said:

@tony.t : what is your opinion on the level of surface detail on the last 3 releases - i.e. the Bucc, Anson and Sea King?

I  have the Buccaneer and am very impressed.

There is no fabric nor round head rivets on the exterior skin of the F-4, discounting the bolts of the later belly strap, so there's nothing to misinterpret, save for Airfix's penchant for raised canopy framing on fast jets — a habit they should change.

Tony 

• Like 1