Revell Phantom FGR.2 111 Squadron

Finally got round to taking a few pictures of this one after finishing it back in April! Modern jets and RAF are not my normal thing but this was an itch that needed to be scratched. I also wanted to build a machine from either 43 or 111 Squadrons, these being the ones I remember being wowed by at so many Leuchars' airshows. The kit is Revell's boxing of the 1/48 scale Hasegawa moulding which, despite its age, is still a good build. The model was built straight from the box, the only addition being a set of Sidewinders. Just for a change I also decided to add the two crew figures to give a little "life". 

XV416 did not have a long service life, being lost in May 1975 shortly before the Squadron moved to Leuchers. Fortunately the crew ejected safely. Despite this there are quite a few photo's of the aircraft available on the internet and I was able to use these to help with the painting and weathering, especially the underside which was particularly stained. 

Enough waffle here are the pictures and I hope you like. As I said, this is not my normal subject so any tips and hints are welcome and thanks for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

embed?resid=CEF7FE75C2CD8E73!1677&authke

spacer.png

• Like 67

You've done the old kit proud....well done!

Where did you source the pilot figures from please? I'd like to try something similar with mine. 

That's a very nice job there,

particularly like that you've researched the underside staining so it's prototypical and not gone for over weathering the whole airframe and highlighting every panel line.

I you wanted to add a touch more accuracy you could replace the US Crew with some nice resin RAF one's.

Soo good to see a traditional looking 'trembler'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, t15dja said:

You've done the old kit proud....well done!

Where did you source the pilot figures from please? I'd like to try something similar with mine. 

Thanks. As stevr219 said, they come with the kit. Even so, they still need a little surgery to fit 🙂 

2 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Super build @Ferrata, and excellent execution of the classic scheme - lovely job.

111 markings always attract attention - I have a soft spot from them from their Leuchars days.

👍

Thanks Dr. Quack, since you've seen it up close that means a lot. I feel the same about them in the Leuchars days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred piket said:

very nice build, you've done well! Very interesting: the underside at the back in a different colour.. 

Thanks. I was basing it off this. Think I got reasonably close...spacer.png

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

That's a very nice job there,

particularly like that you've researched the underside staining so it's prototypical and not gone for over weathering the whole airframe and highlighting every panel line.

I you wanted to add a touch more accuracy you could replace the US Crew with some nice resin RAF one's.

Soo good to see a traditional looking 'trembler'

Thanks. I never thought about the crew being the US version, considering the kit's origins I should have thought of that. Schoolboy error! Hopefully it's not too obvious.🤦‍♂️