Sopwith 2F1 Ship's Camel N6818, Eduard 1/48 - Update: new pics, see pg 2

Sopwith 2F1 Ship's Camel N6818  

Do you know the Windsock Datafile 170 about the Ship's Camel? It contains a wonderful big color profile created by Ronny Bar.
After Eduard released in June the new kit of the Ship's Camel in 1/48 as part of the new Camel series I had to built it immediately in that livre. As this marking is not part of the ProfiPack offering I had to mask it myself and used only some small stencils from the kit decals.

Now it is finished so this is my model number 6 of this year. The last few days I made a wooden platform, and as I was able to finish the Camel today I had a bit of luck with the weather today to take outdoor photos at a lake.

The following sets was used:
82173 Profipack Sopwith 2F.1 Camel 
648725 Sopwith Camel 2F.1 Lewis gun (only the mounting, as the profile do not show a Lewis MG)
648677 Bentley engine
648660 Vickers Mk.I gun
648659 Camel seat
648674 Rotherham air pumps
3DL48038 Sopwith Camel SPACE
The rigging was done using Gaspatch parts: RAF wire terminals and some turnbuckles of Type C.

Additionally a lot of scratch work as usual in my projects. The airscrew, the outer struts and parts of the undercarriage are made from wood. Many parts are metal: undercarriage (soldered from brass), tail skid, inner struts, engine bearing and more. A detailed build log can be found at Scalemates.

I guess this is one of my best models so far and I'm happy to have it in my collection now.

And now have fun with the pics!

uc?export=view&id=1PP0KFS_LxMoNVFX9TW5Mq

uc?export=view&id=1ongyZDt-AZt61e-rz6SBI

uc?export=view&id=1yWryY3i9iadYodV8Hja9_

uc?export=view&id=1GbuUqGfOJJvi3EllilKCV

uc?export=view&id=1-mHtfuI7PRFntHWdzmXUW

uc?export=view&id=1W3JQ3lUwHpPE7yI4efffM

uc?export=view&id=1YLX2I0xN9cQt0kgNj8GVG

uc?export=view&id=1qhXuNGYTIPuAOSiwOjaXp

uc?export=view&id=1ZfHTTQCGsSVS0geFW7ieD

uc?export=view&id=1JjkrG-40X7NfXcvyqXN-z

uc?export=view&id=1ONVYI8nE3FfnAnF1mTEQI

uc?export=view&id=1wSyIud6WwiTC-jyVeNKqA

uc?export=view&id=1CS_KnjMaFfzWsulXvbYky

uc?export=view&id=1KbSXbR-vV4HMsruGCAnQL

uc?export=view&id=1EgeA6LkDybFBrBaCDGybR

The mentioned undercarriage:
uc?export=view&id=1ONm06bqXENQ4kdhmWQ9Kh

Cheers,
Frank

Edited by Bughunter
Update of title
  • Like 70
  • Thanks 3

Wow Frank, that is spectacular! I haven't looked on Scalemates for a while so I missed this one. I agree, it is one of the best models I've seen from you yet. Bravo!!!!👏👏👏👏

Richie 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your kind feedback!

4 hours ago, Lasinaatti said:

How long did it take to mask that thing??

The real masking job (to apply cut masks) takes "only" some hours (a bit more, as I was not happy with the first try on the fuselage so I wiped the paints away with alcohol and doing it again for a second try), but I spend a lot of work before to draw the masks in Inkscape (vector drawing program). I worked also step by step, e.g. masked the upper wing and painted it red. Another day the lower wings. I have not counted the hours ...

For speed up I used Mr.Paint because those paints are dry in nearly zero time. But I wait a day before apply masks on it.

34 minutes ago, RichieW said:

I haven't looked on Scalemates for a while so I missed this one.

Mistake. Big mistake. :giggle:

35 minutes ago, RichieW said:

I agree, it is one of the best models I've seen from you yet.

Oh yes. Would you please so kind to tell Bud/coyotemagic about it? While searching for information about this Camel I found a posting from him:

"2F.1 Ship's Camel N6818, as illustrated by Ronny Bar's exquisite 3 view on the inside back cover of DF 170.  One of the most beautiful and colorful Camels ever" And yes, Bud is sooo right!

Thanks again,

Frank

• Like 2

Thank you very much!

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

Always good to see another view of a masterpiece. That masking is so perfect. 

That masking was a lot of work!

But it was a good decision to prepare the masks in a drawing program, so do more of the work on the computer instead of manual masking with tapes. After I decided to paint the fuselage again this saves a lot of effort.

• Like 1

This is proper modelling, old school. Yeah we can buy an Airfix or Tamiya Spitfire and post it here and say aren't 

we great. We might be but isn't that a wonderful example of the modellers art?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I came back from my summer holiday, I found your wonderful comments. Thank you very much!

On 8/11/2023 at 1:43 AM, noelh said:

This is proper modelling, old school. Yeah we can buy an Airfix or Tamiya Spitfire and post it here and say aren't 

we great. We might be but isn't that a wonderful example of the modellers art?

You made my day! :worthy:

Thanks,

Frank

• Like 1