Hasegawa newsletters 2023 - 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11 & 12

Homebee

12 hours ago, hopkp said:

A long, long time ago.....Hasegawa barely rates the status of 'also ran' these days, sad to see. Still, with companies like Eduard, ICM, Pilot Replicas, Zoukei Mura and Kinetic around things aren't too bad I guess. However, the one thing Hasegawa did do well was current 1/48 jets, which unfortunately no-one really does much of any more.

In 1/72, Hasegawa would make a killing if they'd do the R/F-5A/B/E/F Tiger series.  I mean, DECADES ago they did the best 1/72 X-29 & F-20 there is.  Why didn't they strike gold by doing the same with the F-5 series? With the level of details they are capable of producing with their Su-33/Su-35, Mitsubishi F-2A/B and Eurofighter, the F-5 is a money maker for them. That's if they beat Wolfpack to the punch. 

Sigh, wishful thinking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Current 1/48 jets

F/A-18E/F/G: Hasegawa, but also Trumpeter, Meng, and Revell

1/48 Tornado: Revell and Italeri

1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon: Revell, Italeri 

1/48 F-16: Hasegawa but also Kinetic, Tamiya

1/48 F-15: Hasegawa but also Revell, Great Wall

1/48 Su-27/30/33: Academy, Minibase, HobbyBoss, Great Wall

1/48 AV-8B+ Harrier: Hasegawa

Hasegawa has competition in most modern subjects in 1/48

Have to admit that's true, maybe the problem is that there aren't very many modern jets. I guess that before too much longer there'll be nothing but F-35s. Having said that, the current Typhoon kits in 1/48 aren't exactly great and could do with a makeover.....

Now if only someone would start doing decent 1/48 kits of 'Cold War' jets to the standard that GWH has set.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jackman said:

In 1/72, Hasegawa would make a killing if they'd do the R/F-5A/B/E/F Tiger series.  I mean, DECADES ago they did the best 1/72 X-29 & F-20 there is.  Why didn't they strike gold by doing the same with the F-5 series? With the level of details they are capable of producing with their Su-33/Su-35, Mitsubishi F-2A/B and Eurofighter, the F-5 is a money maker for them. That's if they beat Wolfpack to the punch. 

Sigh, wishful thinking.

A 1/48 F-5 'family' to the sort of standard currently being set by GWH would be really something. I know Kinetic has done them, but unfortunately they're 'early Kinetic'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jackman said:

In 1/72, Hasegawa would make a killing if they'd do the R/F-5A/B/E/F Tiger series. 

I think the last true new tool in any scale from Hase was the 2014 F-35. 
I'm not counting the F-35B, on the basis that that is a reworked version of the above. 

Not holding my breath for anything new.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

I think the last true new tool in any scale from Hase was the 2014 F-35. 
I'm not counting the F-35B, on the basis that that is a reworked version of the above. 

Not holding my breath for anything new.

2014: 1/72 Su-35S Flanker
2016: 1/32 A6M5 Zero

2017: 1/72 H8K2 Emily Flying boat

2018: 1/72 F-35B you may not count it as a new tool but there is zero commonality between it and the 2014 release of the F-35A. It’s not a reworked F-35A.

As far as I can tell, the F-35B was the last completely new tool aircraft kit released by Hasegawa and that was 5 years ago. On the other hand, Hasegawa actually has had a decent number of new tool kits since 2014, they just haven’t been aircraft. I guess that reflects the demands of their home market more than anything else. They can also see the competition from Eastern Europe and China and when it comes to aircraft kits and probably think the financial health of the company is better served by doing other subjects. It bears repeating that Hasegawa is not a large company. Certainly nothing like the scale of Tamiya which makes most of its revenue from R/C models.

• Like 2

the Ace Combat kit it's now 1/48 instead 1/72, they didn't even complete the Ace Combat Zero line nor excused themselves by releasing just a decal set with option for the remaining enemy ace squadrons

Edited by Silverkite

On 3/7/2023 at 8:39 AM, hopkp said:

Have to admit that's true, maybe the problem is that there aren't very many modern jets. I guess that before too much longer there'll be nothing but F-35s. Having said that, the current Typhoon kits in 1/48 aren't exactly great and could do with a makeover.....

Now if only someone would start doing decent 1/48 kits of 'Cold War' jets to the standard that GWH has set.....

Hasegawa does make the only, and therefore the best RF-4 recce Phantoms in 1/48, but I think their other versions have been surpassed by Academy, Tamiya, Meng, and Zoukie-Mura depending on the version.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, VMA131Marine said:

2014: 1/72 Su-35S Flanker
2016: 1/32 A6M5 Zero

2017: 1/72 H8K2 Emily Flying boat

2018: 1/72 F-35B you may not count it as a new tool but there is zero commonality between it and the 2014 release of the F-35A. It’s not a reworked F-35A.

As far as I can tell, the F-35B was the last completely new tool aircraft kit released by Hasegawa and that was 5 years ago. On the other hand, Hasegawa actually has had a decent number of new tool kits since 2014, they just haven’t been aircraft. I guess that reflects the demands of their home market more than anything else. They can also see the competition from Eastern Europe and China and when it comes to aircraft kits and probably think the financial health of the company is better served by doing other subjects. It bears repeating that Hasegawa is not a large company. Certainly nothing like the scale of Tamiya which makes most of its revenue from R/C models.

Very true, I’ve seen them release mainly jdm cars lately.  I think the aircraft scene has a lot of competition right now.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:43 AM, hopkp said:

A 1/48 F-5 'family' to the sort of standard currently being set by GWH would be really something. I know Kinetic has done them, but unfortunately they're 'early Kinetic'.

A new tooling of the F-5 family would be a dream come true. I saw all the test shots of the Kinetic F-5, I knew it wouldn’t end well. I’d love to see Hasegawa return to the spotlight, but I don’t think it is in the cards. go GWH!

I thought AFV club did a F-5 in 1/48?

Is it no good?

Hasegawa had released a block 52+ F-16C,  but only as a limited edition which is now impossible to find. I wish they would re-release that one.

On 3/7/2023 at 2:39 PM, hopkp said:

E.g  the Academy / ZM, Meng F-4 families  

Or Eduard MiG-21 or Mirage III series, or Kinetic F-104 series, or....

There are many a great kit out there actually!

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to Hasegawa newsletters 2023 - 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 & 07

There's a lot of snobbery about 90s kits but the majority of them are perfectly acceptable - even some (though fewer) older ones.  If you want a level of super-detail not provided then there are usually sufficient aftermarket parts available. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:30 PM, Jackman said:

Sigh, wishful thinking.

Indeed wishful thinking.  Hasegawa (or for that matter anybody else's) products are only as good as the skills of their employees and management investment will allow.  I have no doubt that their staff have gone elsewhere: I heard it said (a long time ago) that their top toolmaker had 'gone' to Fujimi.

From their newsletters, I don't know what is truly new, nor the level of expertise needed to produce it - others may be able to advise. However I suspect that that genuine 'in house' products such as 'dolls' (for want of a better name) aliens and the like, don't require much expertise to produce.  The occasional 'high end' subject eg Emily, may well have been contracted out.  Obviously sales didn't warrant further subjects of that ilk.

No different from a situation where one of several good local restaurants, all broadly comparable, changes to fast food as there is no local competition at that level.

Above all else, Hasegawa, or anybody else's objective is not to make kits, models or whatever, BUT TO MAKE MONEY.

I read that one of their toolmakers set up Fine Molds.  That he had access to a supply of Hasegawa Ki.61s is some support for the story.  But people do move around within industries, just look at Formula 1 engineers.  (Or drivers.  Pick any sport to your taste.)    Phrases like "may well have" carry no weight - you could well have simply invented that without it having the slightest attachment to reality.  Of course they "might well have".  Or might well have not.  Judging from the Revell Merlin Halifax, looking outside your company for an external toolmaker is perhaps less likely to produce a good product than keeping it in house.  It certainly is a greatly inferior product to the Hasegawa Emily - of either generation!

I'm not defending Hasegawa: they have their business model and if it has moved away from my hobby needs that's good for my wallet and I've too big a stash anyway.  But let's not invent  fake news.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...