CANCELLED. The Leeds Scale Model Show 19/2/23

Angus Tura

I am delighted to let you know that IPMS Wakefield will be hosting a show next year. Neither of our previous venues in Huddersfield or Halifax is available to us but in looking for a new venue, we have fallen on our feet:

The Leeds Scale Model Show.

New Dock Hall.

Royal Armouries, Leeds.

10am till 4pm, 19th February 2023.

Armouries Drive
Leeds
United Kingdom
LS10 1LT

We can do this, we think, in the same economic model as previously: that is to say, no charges for clubs, and no change in charges for traders. There will be an open competition.

There are a number of things to finalise, and we haven't made a poster yet! So, more details to follow.

We will be sending invitations to clubs, SIGs and traders who previously attended our show in the next several days. If you are a club, SIG or trader who has not previously attended, please e-mail us your name, postal address and telephone number, if you would like an invitation.

Geoff Milnes: [email protected]

Alan Paul:       [email protected]

I do hope you'll come.

Alan

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Great news. I'll be there all being well. The Royal Armouries are only about 10 mins away by car and on the bus route into Leeds, although at the mercy of (non) Arriva. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just beeb advised that this show has been cancelled for 2023. Official announcement is forthcoming.

Real shame as it would be a very rare example of a city centre show that could have some good appeal to the general public.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Sad 3

On 15/01/2023 at 18:03, Tim R-T-C said:

Just beeb advised that this show has been cancelled for 2023. Official announcement is forthcoming.

That was thought to be the case at our club meeting on Friday evening, but our club treasurer is discussing options with Geoff to see if there is a possibility we can still stage the show.

Unfortunately Alan has had to pull out of all involvement in running the show due to ongoing family issues.

Could everyone please bear with us for a few days whilst we see if we can put together a new team to deliver a viable show?

As soon as final decision has been made one way or the other we will let everyone know, and if we do have to cancel we will refund in full all deposits that have been received.

• Like 4

OK, the decision has been made, and I'm afraid it's not good news, the Leeds/Halifax/Huddersfield show on 19/2/23 has been CANCELLED.

Unfortunately, as well as our main organiser having to pull out completely, the show has not attracted the number of traders that have previously supported our event, to the extent that we would be exposing the club to running the show at a significant loss.

With only a month to go it was felt the club wouldn't be able to put on a successful show and we're regretfully decided to confirm that the show is CANCELLED.

Our show has been well liked an supported and the club would like to thank all those who have attended and made the Halifax / Huddersfield shows a success in previous years.

• Sad 5

This is a crying shame as it was one of the largest events in the country after SMW and also covered a much needed area "up north". I can only hope traders are willing to commit in plenty of time if you try to relaunch the event next year.

• Angus Tura changed the title to CANCELLED. The Leeds Scale Model Show 19/2/23

Dear Britmodellers,

I was about to tell you that our show has been cancelled, but I see that Dave has already said.

I am sorry. I wanted to post because I would differ from Dave a little in the reasons why we have cancelled. We had enough trader interest and presales of entry bracelets to think that we could break even on the show. That is all we need to do financially. The cancellation of the show is entirely down to my having to withdraw for family troubles which have come to a crisis at a very inopportune time.

The up-side of that, of course, is that we are already talking about next year and I will post on here as soon as that firms up.

Can I redouble Dave's thanks to everyone for previously attending and supporting our various incarnations? Thanks for your forbearance and understanding.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It's a shame as the thought of a local show was very appealing. It also demonstrates how difficult it can be for local groups with limited resources to stage events and what a good job they do. I hope your family troubles are resolved speedily and successfully. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I am sorry. I wanted to post because I would differ from Dave a little in the reasons why we have cancelled.

Apologies for that Alan, it was info I believed to be correct at the time and was posted in good faith.

Thanks for update from the horses mouth, so to speak, and glad to hear your situation isn't quite as dire as thought on Friday evening.

Best wishes

Dave

• Thanks 1

My sympathy goes out to all the club-members involved. Organizing a show at a new venue is quite an undertaking and is not an easy job. 

I wish the club the best of luck for 2024.

Chris. 

PS: This year seems to have become a bit of a "model-show scrapyard". Let's hope next year is a lot better for shows.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I am going to be sad, missing 'The New Huddersfield' show at Leeds but having seen the problems of setting up and organising shows which caused my own club to retire  from the 'show' scene a few years back you have my sympathy.

You will also have my support if you can bring it on again next year.

Missing you all already. Alan and Dave and I will be there when you are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, tk1608 said:

Is that final..couldn’t someone take over ??

:(

This late in the day? - no.

The thing about most shows is that they are 'driven' by a small team, often of only 2-3 people, who do all the work around pre-show organisation in their spare time. If you lose one or more of that core team, the remaining guys don't have the capacity to pick up the additional duties.

In any group or club, there are usually a small number of people who are the driving force and a greater number of people who are happy to help out and work hard to make the show a success, but who don't want to be responsible for the organisation and decision-making.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 9/30/2023 at 4:22 PM, tk1608 said:

Hey guys

Just planning my outings for next year, and just wondered if there’s a date for the Leeds show in 2024 yet please ?

Thanks

Phil :)

Just had a trade invite through for Feb 11th 2024 at the Royal Armouries.

• Like 2