Hasegawa 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Koh Toryu *Finished*

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Scottish breakfast? Do you get those little potato pancake things? Yum.

:eat:  Haggis as well?  The breakfasts are just one of the things I love about Scotland.

AW

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice progress Stew. Love those internals, as usual! :) 

Scottish breakfast? Do you get those little potato pancake things? Yum.

Tattie Scone? Oh yes :D 

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

:eat:  Haggis as well?  The breakfasts are just one of the things I love about Scotland.

AW

Yes indeed, the Real Tinman which is like the 12" Disco Remix of their regular Full Scottish Breakfast is 2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, haggis, black pudding, tattie scone, hash brown, half a tomato, mushrooms, beans and toast. It's a plateful, and I confess that while I can finish the whole lot, it sometimes transpires that a nap is necessary when I get home ... I'm sure it's that half-tomato that does it :D 

So I got the tailplanes fitted, there was a surprising amount of play in them with the concomitant opportunities to end up with a wonky empennage, but I think I got away with it:

DSCN0414.jpg

They needed a smear of filler at the roots, but all good now. 

While they were setting I solved a problem I had caused myself by fitting the engines into the cowlings when it would in fact be much easier to paint the cowlings before installing the engines. I got a bit carried away test-fitting and before I knew it the engines were installed... well you know how it is. I did find that there is just sufficient space between the cylinder ends and the cowling interior to fit a sheet of paper, so I inserted a Post-It note:

DSCN0416.jpg

So I should be able to spray the cowlings without fouling up the engines :) 

I remembered to install the gunsight before attaching the canopy - like just about every kit-supplied gunsight I have ever seen it has the forward sunshade in the raised position even though it would normally be folded down and only raised when needed... in any case as it was there I painted the glass shade with Tamiya Clear Smoke colour:

DSCN0424.jpg

Sorry about the picture, it proved to be very hard to focus on that, 

FInally the centre-section and forward canopies were fitted. Hasegawa does provide alternate parts for opened pilot's and gunner's positions if required:

DSCN0426.jpg

For some reason there was a significant gap between the rear of the pilot's canopy and the centre section. I tried to find some way that this could have been my fault, but it's just two pieces of plastic attached to a third piece of plastic: the centre section can go no further forward and the pilot's canopy can go no further back. Perhaps Hasegawa wanted everyone to use the opened cockpits :D Anyway I plugged the gap with Micro Kristal Kleer and hopefully it will be enough to cover it up. Oh yeah, and of course I broke that R/T mast off directly after this photo was taken. 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Yes indeed, the Real Tinman which is like the 12" Disco Remix of their regular Full Scottish Breakfast is 2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, haggis, black pudding, tattie scone, hash brown, half a tomato, mushrooms, beans and toast. It's a plateful, and I confess that while I can finish the whole lot, it sometimes transpires that a nap is necessary when I get home ... I'm sure it's that half-tomato that does it :D 

I feel a strange, yet strong, urge to visit you now.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Tattie Scone? Oh yes

Shhhh! They're supposed to be a secret, aren't they

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

2 sausages

I have to ask, actual sausages or Lorne sausage?

/P

11 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Shhhh! They're supposed to be a secret, aren't they

I have to ask, actual sausages or Lorne sausage?

/P

Oops! I mentioned them twice, but I think I got away with it :D  Link sausages, but I think you could probably swap them out for square swags if you wanted to, I just take it as it comes :) 

I got the wings attached:

DSCN0427.jpg

No filler at all needed on top by the look of things, a bit of a gap at the underside join but it's easily fillable and besides, it's on the underneath and given the choice I'd prefer that to the topside any time :D 

So nearly ready for the Hairyokushoku paint - need to remember to mask the gunner's cockpit - but I don't think that will be until next week now, I'm visiting my Dad up in the Aberdeenshire badlands for a long weekend so will be away from the bench until Monday... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tattie Scone, nom nom nom.

Nice work Stew despite the pain with the canopies. 

I hope those PostIts work :fingerscrossed:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ced :cheers: I may have been inadvertently misleading in describing the engine-masks as 'Post-It notes' because although they are Post-It notes, that was simply the nearest paper I had to hand and any rolled-up piece of paper would probably have done equally well, the adhesive qualities (or lack thereof) of the Post-Its were not called upon :D 

Anyway: (Im)Patience is a virtue... some last minute small small things were fitted. I broke the tip off the pitot tube, and replaced it with a bit of .5mm Albion Alloys brass tube:

DSCN0434.jpg

... and fitted the pitot to the wing:

DSCN0437.jpg

The gunner's position was masked, again with a piece of Post-It note (and again any bit of paper would have probably done just as well) and the rearmost canopy part fitted:

DSCN0439.jpg

The rudder actuators were fitted to the tailfin:

DSCN0442.jpg

I don't know why that turned out looking such a blue shade, it's the same plastic as the bulk of the kit :)  

Finally the ventral cannon barrel was fitted:

DSCN0444.jpg

Hasegawa actually provides two muzzle tips for this, an 'early' version and a 'late' version - both are noticeably smaller than a pin-head and will in all likelihood rarely if ever be seen on the underside of the model, but I applaud the attention to detail :) 

... aaaaaaand... I sprayed the Hairyokushoku overall:

DSCN0447.jpg

DSCN0451.jpg

My pictures don't show the colour very well, it has a green component as noticeable as that of RAF Sky although less saturated and a little darker; it might be the fluorescent lights leaching out the colour or it may be my camera (or, in fairness, the fact that I don't know how to use my camera properly :D but either way it does seem to struggle with subtleties of colour), Anyway, that will have a few days to set and then I'll be back for the transfers and the topside mottling...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

The rudder actuators were fitted to the tailfin:

DSCN0442.jpg

I don't know why that turned out looking such a blue shade, it's the same plastic as the bulk of the kit :)  

Sure it is… Be honest its the new super secret Azure blue primer. It didn't work right so you sprayed it in grey to cover it up. 😉

• Haha 1

Hi Stu,

I find that it is not only the lighting but the background that causes changes to the appearance of the paint - particularly if you use software to clean it up as it confuses the balance.

Pete

Thanks gents :cheers:

14 hours ago, PeterB said:

I find that it is not only the lighting but the background that causes changes to the appearance of the paint - particularly if you use software to clean it up as it confuses the balance.

Pete, yes I think you're right there, the green background could be a factor in influencing the appearance of the paint colour as well as the lighting but I believe that if I had a better working knowledge of my camera settings I could perhaps mitigate this, at least up to a point. I'm guessing you mean software to clean up the pictures? I don't use any, though that might be obvious from the state of my photographs :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:22 PM, CedB said:

Paint! Nice work Stew :) 

Thanks Ced :D ... more paint:

DSCN0457.jpg

I had a bit of a dramatic time with this; I applied the Hinomaru transfers prior to spraying the Midori-Iro colour. The Rising Decals transfers were very thin and prone to folding into themselves and sticking if the water used was too hot, and not budging from the backing sheet if the water was too cold. The also exhibited a lack of adhesion to the model, as I found when my plan to roughly mask the markings before spraying the upper colour with a flattened disc of Blu-tack resulted in the partial removal of the upper wing transfers*. Enraged, I then removed the remainder of the transfers with Tamiya tape and sprayed them in Colourcoats Hinomaru Red which is what I probably should have just done in the first place, given that I had both the paint and some pre-cut Maketar masks for Japanese markings.  Anyway that drama over, I masked the markings and sprayed the mottled camo. To save you scrolling back to the top, this is what I was attempting to represent:

DSCN0317.jpg

I'd liked to have found a photo of the original aircraft in question but no luck there, in any case as a representation I'm happy enough that it looks feasible.

Cheers,

Stew

* Yeah I know what you're thinking: What did he expect? But the Blu-tack wasn't pressed onto the transfers, it was just placed on top :D 

• Like 7

Things are coming together, with some of the sub-assemblies being fitted now; the exhausts, fuel-coolers and supercharger(?) intakes:

DSCN0460.jpg

... the engines:

DSCN0461.jpg

... and the undercarriage:

DSCN0463.jpg

Some transfers applied; the transfer for the three yellow fuselage stripes stuck everywhere except where I wanted them, predominantly to my fingers and itself, so I need to make a new plan for that:

DSCN0466.jpg

... and finally the props were fitted along with various lights and guns:

DSCN0468.jpg

I'm getting there :phew:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

... and I'm there, I think :D I masked and sprayed the fuselage stripes, not my best work it has to be said, but better than going without altogether. Windows were de-masked, defensive MG fitted and R/T wire added from Infini Lycra Thread:

DSCN0470.jpg

I'll get the 'glamour shots' done today or tomorrow :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Well done Stu, she looks awesome!!! I really like the paint finish and scheme, very nicely done, superb work. :thumbsup:

You're on a roll with these builds, how about another 2 engine bomber or a Diana would be nice??? :D

• Thanks 1

.... and I'm definitely done now :D 

DSCN0474.jpg

More pics in the Gallery here.

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

how about another 2 engine bomber or a Diana would be nice???

I like the way you're thinking :D 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 7

• Stew Dapple changed the title to Hasegawa 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Koh Toryu *Finished*

That looks like a lovely kit, and an excellent build. 

Way back in the mists of time I built the Nichimo Nick, which was very nice for its time but much less sophisticated than this. In fact it reminded me at the time of the of the Otaki/Arii single seat fighters and was a definite step from the other Nichimo kits I'd seen up to then. 

John 

• Thanks 1