1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released

Bjorn

22 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just put the decals on mine.  What a lovely kit!  :thumbsup: 

Whats that saying again Enzo?? …photos or it didn’t happen! C’mon, show us your progress. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Whats that saying again Enzo?? …photos or it didn’t happen! C’mon, show us your progress. 
Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yeah come on Enzo, can't just post that and not show us some pictures!

Sadly, I didn't document the build properly.  However, I'm having so much fun with it that - despite not having finished it yet - I'm going to start a second one this weekend.  This will be built as an FB9.

The one - minor - issue that I have with the kit is the arrangement of the instrument panels in the cockpit.  I followed the instructions and allowed the outer panels to set before assembling the rest of the cockpit.  As I hadn't arranged them properly, this meant that the forward fuselage parts did not sit correctly when assembled with a gap of about half a millimetre.  I must stress that this is entirely due to my bodgehandedness and is not a fault of the kit.

There are some interesting location points in the cockpit which may well resolve the issue so I will be changing the assembly procedure slightly. 

Bodgehandedness apart, the rest of the build is pure joy. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Homebee said:

wellspropsmodels 3D printed conversion to Vampire F.1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224745817316

s-l1600.jpg

V.P.

Nice. I wonder if someone will do an F.1two piece canopy to go with them? The first 60 aircraft were delivered with a different windscreen and a smaller sliding canopy. This was modified in service to the fully blown canopy included in this kit.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Its going to need one serious nose weight to counter the imbalance though!

My thoughts exactly!  We have liquid gravity to put in the nose but there really isn't enough space even without the engine.  It's about time that someone invented liquid Cavorite that we can put in the tail...  :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even after fixing three squares of roofing lead behind the cockpit rear wall, mine were teetering or tipping back. I ended up adding lead shot from an old diving weight squashed flat with pliers dipped in white glue and dropped through the footwells into the nose until I could get no more in. I also drilled a hole down through the drop tank pylons and filled the fronts of them with the same lead shot. If I was fitting this resin engine I think I would add lead into the leading edges of the wings as well and try to get something under the floor too.

• Like 1

I haven't added weight to my models for years.   The last one I added weight to (a load of nuts and bolts) was the 1/48 EE Lightning.   It's a real pain trying to find stuff to weight models and I found it held up the build for much longer than it should.  I now use a piece of clear sprue or a stand type structure.   I wish companies would include weights (like with Tamiya's Meteor).   It saves a lot of hassle.

Edited by SeaVenom

On 5/27/2022 at 5:12 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

My thoughts exactly!  We have liquid gravity to put in the nose but there really isn't enough space even without the engine.  It's about time that someone invented liquid Cavorite that we can put in the tail...  :) 

With cavorite in the tail, it then would easily tip heels over head .... or maybe fly away on itself 🤣

I rely on different sized fishing weights to put into any available nook and cranny but it more than once still has me scratching my head to get enough into place. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/13/2022 at 3:58 AM, wellsprop said:

New conversion kits on the way by Wells Props Models

Vampire FB6 Swiss

Swiss Conversion Parts

Replacement cockpit and ejection seat included - work in progress.

Cockpit

Control column update will be included. Oerlikon rockets are still WiP.

Vampire FB30 elephant ears

FB30 Conversion

Vampire FB31

This kit will include the elephant ears and modified cockpit, with ejection seat.

Export Variant Wheels (included with all above conversions) 

Please note, tread not yet added, renders are for illustration only.

Export Wheels

Price is TBA. 

Cheers

Ben

I'm certainly on for an FB.31 set.

Any chance of doing it in 1:32 as well?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The ADF will be included, I have modelled it, but I'm not quite happy with it! I haven't found any plans showing it.

I can't help with drawings - should have asked 20 years ago!

Do these photos of the Vamp at the RAAF Museum, taken some time ago, help? I tried to get as close to profile and front elevation as I could. Plan view would have been a little more difficult. 🤔

Peter M

5fe4b039-2847-45c1-9214-51c62fc8d613.JPG

11d44e55-df9e-49b0-bce7-81a5034daf9f.jpg

plus one on a CAF A/C.

6e317d30-864d-4b1e-b9c3-643adabe70f0.jpg

Edited by Magpie22
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...