1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released

Bjorn

4 minutes ago, petetasker said:

See Hannants now have it as ‘in stock’.

But not showing the box art.

The advert on the rear cover of the recent AMW magazine mentioned extra parts.  I'd be intrigued to know what as all of the parts were already in the kit to make an FB.5/9, maybe they've included some rockets and bombs?

10 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks Mike, reminds me of the old Frog kits box art in a way.

502 Squadron RAuxAF, the same unit (and camouflage scheme) as depicted by the old FROG kit and also over Malta. 

I'd have liked to have seen WR120 with her black nose and fins almost head on and at low level against a sun-blasted middle-eastern desert under a deep blue sky but that's just me being an awkward cuss.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks Mike, reminds me of the old Frog kits box art in a way.

Welks :) I'd have had to take the pic for the review anyway if Airfix don't have it on their site yet.  I thought I'd mushed the colour a bit, but looking back at the box it's about right on the screen :shrug:

• Like 1

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/vampire-britains-first-500-mph-fighter

a21b2d4d-e82f-4237-bbad-d48719ecd0ce.jpg

Scheme A - de Havilland D.H.100 Vampire FB.9 WR120, No.213 Squadron, Royal Air Force Deversoir, Egypt, 1954.

d74669b9-869a-46f7-9007-c1f155f53c4d.jpg
33261bad-3e2a-4180-b31f-e26cf7bd5f81.jpg

Scheme B - de Havilland D.H.100 Vampire FB.9 WR128, No.502 (Ulster) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, RAF Sydenham, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1955.

e3c84e74-e401-4f59-8486-63cc07a853c7.jpg
2c7d533b-94a7-4220-8a52-7b8ad51b20a8.jpg

Scheme C - de Havilland D.H.100 Vampire FB.5 VX950, Armée de l'Air, France, 1959.

101fc3f0-7647-4b75-b486-55f0a8900382.jpg
bbe3b59b-ddc8-49cf-a78e-690f8bc3eb8f.jpg

V.P.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Irish 251 said:

I see the painting diagram says "North Ireland" a typo, no doubt.

I think it's cleared up in the printed version.  It's certainly how I wrote it in the review I've just posted up:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

I see the painting diagram says "North Ireland" a typo, no doubt.

It may seem to be a minor problem to youse but the omission of the three letters e r n is considered to be a very serious matter here

There have been serious riots for 55 years here for that sort of thing, and for lesser reasons

I've emailed Airfix regarding it

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It may seem to be a minor problem to youse but the omission of the three letters e r n is considered to be a very serious matter here

It seems that while I was typing up my review, my Pavlov's Fingers just naturally typed "Northern", as I've just checked the paper instructions and it definitely says "North" on mine at least.  I'm sure nothing was meant by it of course, just an unfortunate typo. :(

Actually, I'd initially typed "Norther", missing the N off entirely, which was caught during proofing, and proves that mistakes happen. :shrug:

• Mike changed the title to 1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released
4 hours ago, Celestialsphere said:

I think the box art shows the FB.9 over Gibraltar. I wonder how often No.502 (Ulster) Squadron operated from there?

Probably once a year for annual Armament Practice Camp (APC).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/06/2023 at 07:14, Celestialsphere said:

I think the box art shows the FB.9 over Gibraltar. I wonder how often No.502 (Ulster) Squadron operated from there?

502 did a couple of their Summer Camps in the mid 50’s at RAF North Front (Gibraltar). Source Roger Lindsay’s Cold War Shield.