FM 1/48 Hampden - Duel Build with the General!

woody37

I’ve somehow missed your progress on this, Neil - it’s looking fantastic. The transparent parts really look the business - I need to pick your brains about this as I’ll need to make my own transparencies for my Stirling - hopefully we can catch up at Telford..?

It’s so satisfying to see someone win the battle with a Fonderie kit - that doesn’t happen often..!

Tom

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great stuff Neil, really coming together. I'm afraid I'm way behind you, as you know we've been travelling a lot recently and haven't really had time for modelling. Hopefully the next few weeks will yield something before we're off again in November. I did manage to sneak it into a suitcase on our recent tour of Scotland (without the memsahib's knowledge, of course) and unbelievably, managed to get the fuselage halves fettled to fit. Even more unbelievably it made it back here in one piece (literally). Looking forward to the vac parts, that'll make life a lot easier. As you know I spent a few days with my old mucka Ali McLean who funnily enough was selling his vac-forming machine...was sorely tempted but resisted. I see a lot of riveting coming up...:daydream: 

• Like 2

Good afternoon your generalship. Ali McLean, a very old friend and fellow modeller, when we used to own ROTORcraft a few years back.

Ah, vac-form machines! I've just been tinkering with the drawings for a new vac box, so once it is up and running, I too can knock out some replacement canopies.

Neil's vac canopies look very good.

I trust you have enjoyed your travels and nothing wrong with sneaking a kit into the luggage! I sometimes depending on the destination, take a 'Wet Day Box' with me. A kit, the ref, tools, glues, a small board to work on etc. Enough to keep me occupied. This after we once went on a weekend trip to the Waterberg Mountains north of Pretoria with a half read paper back and not much else. I spent he day staring out of the cabin door at the rain dripping of the roof edge!!!

Colin

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 9:58 PM, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Neil.

Glad to see you are using the Vacuum Forming gizmo effectively. My limited experience is that they do make the whole process much easier after a bit of practice. You certainly seem to have nailed it!

Terry

Thanks Terry, definitely easier though not something I look forwards to!

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great stuff Neil, really coming together. I'm afraid I'm way behind you, as you know we've been travelling a lot recently and haven't really had time for modelling. Hopefully the next few weeks will yield something before we're off again in November. I did manage to sneak it into a suitcase on our recent tour of Scotland (without the memsahib's knowledge, of course) and unbelievably, managed to get the fuselage halves fettled to fit. Even more unbelievably it made it back here in one piece (literally). Looking forward to the vac parts, that'll make life a lot easier. As you know I spent a few days with my old mucka Ali McLean who funnily enough was selling his vac-forming machine...was sorely tempted but resisted. I see a lot of riveting coming up...:daydream: 

I can imagine you going on holiday and opening up your suitcase on the bed with half the modelling bench neatly stacked 🤣 Missus M must of been elated at the surprise! Looking forwards to your update though as you was making a stunning job it.

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Good afternoon your generalship. Ali McLean, a very old friend and fellow modeller, when we used to own ROTORcraft a few years back.

Ah, vac-form machines! I've just been tinkering with the drawings for a new vac box, so once it is up and running, I too can knock out some replacement canopies.

Neil's vac canopies look very good.

I trust you have enjoyed your travels and nothing wrong with sneaking a kit into the luggage! I sometimes depending on the destination, take a 'Wet Day Box' with me. A kit, the ref, tools, glues, a small board to work on etc. Enough to keep me occupied. This after we once went on a weekend trip to the Waterberg Mountains north of Pretoria with a half read paper back and not much else. I spent he day staring out of the cabin door at the rain dripping of the roof edge!!!

Colin

Looking forwards to seeing what you do with your machine Colin, I'm of the just 'buy' it group, the one I got is big enough for parts up to 1/32 I reckon.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:00 PM, tomprobert said:

I’ve somehow missed your progress on this, Neil - it’s looking fantastic. The transparent parts really look the business - I need to pick your brains about this as I’ll need to make my own transparencies for my Stirling - hopefully we can catch up at Telford..?

It’s so satisfying to see someone win the battle with a Fonderie kit - that doesn’t happen often..!

Tom

Thanks Tom. Yes intending to get to Telford so lets grab a brew, meeting up with you and the others is one of the best parts of going to Telford. A battle it is, but I'm feeling like I'm winning at the moment. Shhhh!!!

Bit more progress this evening, managed to get some paint down. Also, big thanks to @keith in the uk for sending me a replacement nose blister as it saves having to make one as this is a complicated piece to replicate.

I got some MRP black primer down last night and some MRP dark earth tonight, quite exciting!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I decided to pin the wheels rather than bending the legs to force them in. Also, made a replacement tail wheel leg as this had gone walkabouts. I'm hoping it's strong enough, time will tell. The drag links for the main gear are also gone so I'll be scratch building them too.

spacer.png

And the new nose from Keith compared to my old one(s). You can't see it that well in the pics, but apart from the damage, the new one has a much glossier finish, the others have a matt texture which isn't great.

spacer.png

Also, breaking news is I've decided (ish) on a scheme! Planning on a 408 Sqn machine with the bullet DF unit on top and later markings. I'm limited by only having the later exhausts ruling out some schemes. Quite possibly this particular aircraft, but will do a bit more research before fully committing. I have spent hours deliberating on a scheme so this is a big moment in Woody Towers!

spacer.png

Pic courtesy of the Warpaint booklet

Edit: I've got the 4 x 250lb bombs left over from the Airfix Blenheim build that will go on it. If anyone has two they would be willing to donate, that would allow me to fit 4 in the bay and two on the wings. If not, I'll buy the Brengun ones for the wings...or get another Blenheim!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 13

Hi Neil, just had a look online, I can get a dental workshop vac unit at a reasonable price. I may just explore that route.

I like the black and brown scheme.

Colin

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Neil, just had a look online, I can get a dental workshop vac unit at a reasonable price. I may just explore that route.

I like the black and brown scheme.

Colin

If big enough for your needs, it makes sense Colin, it's compact and easy to use. 

I thought the same about the black & brown!

1 minute ago, woody37 said:

If big enough for your needs, it makes sense Colin, it's compact and easy to use. 

I thought the same about the black & brown!

I have borrowed one of the dental machines and it worked well although the pull height was limited. That us why I wanted to build my own and have adjustable height on the pattern table.

Definitely black and brown going to be stunning!

Colin

• Like 1

Managed to get the green on last night. I undercoated with MRP RAF dark green, but this looks a bit too dark so went over with Tamiya Dark Green XF-81. There's a few touch ups needed and I forgot to add the canopy rails so need to do that this evening. The blutac has left some marks, but these will disappear once glossed. After months of staring at butchered grey plastic and primer, this is a big step forwards in motivation! Next step, masking then the black to be painted on. Once the main fuselage is on, I'll start to work through the smaller parts; undercarriage, engines, masts etc. I'm not looking forwards to the engines as there are several colours with some fiddly masking needed and aggravated by the big clumsy exhausts, so will need to take a dose of patience before I start!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Wow Neil, a stunning paint job. That really does look a treat, and to my old (experienced of course) eyes, the colours look pretty damn good.

She really is turning into a stunner 👌

Terry

• Like 1

Oh my Neil this is beginning to get that 'prepare to be dazzled' look about it.

It's been a while since I last looked in, know what? Nice, very nice.

That Tamiya XF-81 is beginning to be my favourite RAF Dark Green, most efficacious in every case.

👍

• Like 2

That Tamiya XF-81 is beginning to be my favourite RAF Dark Green, most efficacious in every case.

Too much Lilly the Pink Bill!!!! We were talking Green!

Colin

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Too much Lilly the Pink Bill!!!! We were talking Green!

Colin

Just trying to lift the tone Colin, just a tad...

• Haha 3

I have to agree on the colours, she's looking great.

Please let's not go any further with Lilly the Pink though, it could be traumatic!

Ian

• Haha 2

Cheers guys. My very first job stacking shelves as a pubescent teenager was in a local supermarket called Fine Fare, they used to play Lillie the Pink over the speaker system. I don't know whether that contributed to it's demise however 🤣

Yes, I've been with the Tamiya XF-81 for a good while. I've largely moved over to MRP lacquers now as they spray beautifully, dry quickly and are much more resilient than acrylics, shame about their dark green.

10 hours ago, janneman36 said:

This is how I imagine the new tool Airfix Hampden in 1/48 🤫

Just love it Neil 👍👍👍

If mine turns out as yours I would be a very happy man 😀

I look forwards to seeing yours on the go if you make a start. Perhaps if we all have a bash, Airfix will pull their socks up 🤣

• Like 1

Managed to get the black on today, although I'm procrastinating over the scheme again now! Whilst I think further, here's where it's up to!

spacer.png

spacer.png

From the only pic I can see of the bomb bay, it does appear to be a lighter colour rather than black so I've gone with interior green. I've also started to build the bomb carriers that will go in later on. 

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Wow, that underside went on well. Looking superb Neil.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I tried the MRP Nato Black, but it looked too grey so I went back over with their black primer which looks better to my eyes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Jolly nicely executed camo, Neil.  Are we going to see some Woody-pastel-weathering soon?

Cheers Steve, most certainly, along with some oils! I've got some of the decals on today after deciding to stick with the planned scheme so aiming to get the main fuselage decalled and varnished tomorrow then possibly some weathering or move onto the undercarriage.

• Like 1

an update on yesterdays progress...

I used generic decals for the fuselage and tails. The tail markings are a bit narrow so was planning to add more strips of blue and red decal to widen them, all a bit faffy, but hopefully once varnished, it will look fine. The wing roundels were sprayed on using masks, the first time I've used masks and struggled with them. They were so sticky, trying to lay them down without folds or going oval was difficult, I'm open to learning from anyone who does this all the time. Trying it on the fuselage roundels with that narrow yellow bit frightened me off so I used a decal!

spacer.png

and just to see how it looks with some of the other bits in place. Once the paintwork is done, I'll fit the engines, the nacelles are a snug fit around them so will eventually be glued to them as a way of positioning.

spacer.png

One of the things that is slowing the build down is that I keep finding bits that are missing and parts that are there need alteration. The bullet faired DF loop was too tall, so I had to take a section out of the stalk to get the height correct. In doing that, I also pinned it with a piece of brass rod which will aid fixing it to the fuselage. The twin bomb carriers are a WIP and the little box things are the intakes for below the engines that are missing so I'm scratch building them too.

spacer.png

• Like 15

Beautiful work on the masking despite your concerns. I prefer to use Kabuki or Kamoi tape masks rather than vinyl, which I just don’t get along with. The nicest generic commercial ones I have used recently were those produced by the Crafting Well in the UK - the tape they use is sticky enough to conform well to the surface but not so sticky that it is hard to reposition. Experience has taught me to use lots of thin strips of support tape to lift and position the masks to avoid them rolling up or folding over.

Having said that I did my last Beaufighter’s Type B wing roundels with good old Tamiya Kamoi Yellow Tape (the big wide tape rolls) and they worked equally well.

But yours are great!

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stephen Allen said:

Beautiful work on the masking despite your concerns. I prefer to use Kabuki or Kamoi tape masks rather than vinyl, which I just don’t get along with. The nicest generic commercial ones I have used recently were those produced by the Crafting Well in the UK - the tape they use is sticky enough to conform well to the surface but not so sticky that it is hard to reposition. Experience has taught me to use lots of thin strips of support tape to lift and position the masks to avoid them rolling up or folding over.

Having said that I did my last Beaufighter’s Type B wing roundels with good old Tamiya Kamoi Yellow Tape (the big wide tape rolls) and they worked equally well.

But yours are great!

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing some insight. The masks I've got are similar to the Eduard masks, is that Kabuki? Except they feel much more sticky, kept getting stuck to my fingers! I like the idea of the support strips, does that help them to keep their shape?

Cheers

Neil