FM 1/48 Hampden - Duel Build with the General!

woody37

I've added the side extensions on so that the windscreen overhangs where it meets the sliding canopy using photos as references so that's duly taken care of 

Haven't even looked at that yet, I'll refer to references and see what needs to be done.

Just need to get general melchett to stop faffing now and get some more pictures posted...partly so I can copy what he has done!

Don't blame me...blame the mem, she's railroaded me and a few fellow sufferers, into rebuilding the blasted kitchen......blood and sawdust all over the gaff. As soon as said dust settles I'll post a few piccys for you to plagiarize/borrow.........mind you I'll probably return the favour a bit later on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, general melchett said:

Haven't even looked at that yet, I'll refer to references and see what needs to be done.

Don't blame me...blame the mem, she's railroaded me and a few fellow sufferers, into rebuilding the blasted kitchen......blood and sawdust all over the gaff. As soon as said dust settles I'll post a few piccys for you to plagiarize/borrow.........mind you I'll probably return the favour a bit later on.

This real life malarkey will never catch on. I used to think retirement would be fun, but you old folk keep putting me off it with this grounding sense of reality 🤣🤣

I've started to make the moulds for the clear parts. This is going to be a rather time consuming exercise as I need to do the lower gun position, cockpit and nose. I'm hoping that with the rear upper position open, I can use the kit parts to save making them as well. It's an approximate exercise as the moulds need to allow for the thickness of the plastic over them for accurate dimensions. I'll using 0.5mm PET. As much as possible I'm using the drawings for shape accuracy but this also needs to be checked to ensure that it fits the fuselage without steps. The canopy shouldn't be too bad as I'm intending to have the canopy open and the windscreen will flex to the right width but the other areas will have less room for error.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

This looks fun... if you enjoy bashing yourself over the head with a shovel!

Great progress on what looks like an absolute pig of a kit - the pair of you clearly need your heads looking at :)

Those new cowlings look impressive - certainly a huge improvement on the kit parts.

Looking forward to more progress.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, tomprobert said:

This looks fun... if you enjoy bashing yourself over the head with a shovel!

Great progress on what looks like an absolute pig of a kit - the pair of you clearly need your heads looking at :)

Those new cowlings look impressive - certainly a huge improvement on the kit parts.

Looking forward to more progress.

Tom

This is definitely on the S&M scale mate 🤣 And I'm not talking about Mels model company!

I thought I was alright after that fall downstairs but perhaps you are right, this build is the after effect!!!

On 10/3/2020 at 9:59 PM, mick b said:

Brilliant work so far Neil, thought I might post some pics from Cosford to help if needed?

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Brilliant and timely photo's thanks. That answers where the panel sits in relation to the windscreen.

The good news is that the windscreen from the kit can be snipped to fit the corrected aperture. It's ruddy fiddly due to being very thin but does the job. It will need a dip in Klear to improve things and needs tidying up, but that's one less clear section to make. The windscreen is just sat in place at the moment. I'm going to add internal lips on the sides to sit it correctly on the protruding plates.

spacer.png

Bit blurry this one

spacer.png

Also started on the former for the lower gun position. What is time consuming is getting the shape correct, then having to add bits of plastic to the base and end to allow for trimming the formed parts. Come on Airfix, you know you want to 🤣

spacer.png

@general melchett, would you have a spare nose transparency with yours? Both of mine are dinted but if I had one, I'd only need to make the upper window section rather than complete nose.

Thanks

• Like 8

general melchett, would you have a spare nose transparency with yours? Both of mine are dinted but if I had one, I'd only need to make the upper window section rather than complete nose.

I have one good and one dinted, a very unusual situation with an FM kit. Experimenting with clear 3D printing at the mo so stand by yer bed...(but don't hold your breath).

I'm still adding bits and bobs to the interior, concentrating on the nose, cockpit and turret areas as, to some extent, they can be seen.....(comment courtesy of Mr Obvious)

I must get over this so-called AMS malarkey and bung the thing together.........I'll let Mr Labeouf explain...

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 3

This is very splendid work. I have one of these in the stash and would very much like to procure a set of those plans to use for reference in the hack-up mine will likewise need. Would you be so kind as to tell me where they came from so I can go find a set also? :)

Jamie, I'm not entirely sure as John Adams was kind enough to scan and scale a set for me a few years ago. I have a feeling they appeared in Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine, vol 9, No 5, Feb 1987. Ian had  a column that included his drawings and that particular issue featured the Hampden in detail.  You're welcome to use mine once I've finished with them.

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This is very splendid work. I have one of these in the stash and would very much like to procure a set of those plans to use for reference in the hack-up mine will likewise need. Would you be so kind as to tell me where they came from so I can go find a set also? :)

Jamie, I recently bought the Aviation News Vol 6 No 9 off eBay that has Ian Huntley’s plans in.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Jamie,

I used the plans out of the Warpaint booklet and upscaled them on the printer. Amy inaccuracies are far less than my ham-fisted approach will generate!

On 10/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, general melchett said:

I have one good and one dinted, a very unusual situation with an FM kit. Experimenting with clear 3D printing at the mo so stand by yer bed...(but don't hold your breath).

Just seen your reply mate. Clear 3d printing, now that sounds clever! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I know I’m being facetious ( must be the presence of @general melchett) but according to the spelling in the topic it will be Hampdens at dawn when you’re finished ( duel/dual :) isn’t English etymology wonderful ( not to be confused with entomology ( which is the study of insects))) again sorry, couldn’t help myself :) 

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2020 at 4:56 AM, general melchett said:

I have wanted to experiment with clear 3d Printing for canopies, I almost have regular parts down.. Right now its make a reasonable facsimile plug and try to do a vac. I can't wait to see how this transpires. Hopefully for the best.

• Like 1

Printing clear parts is new to me too, Loren. Although I've been 3D printing for a while now there's going to be a fair bit of experimentation ahead. Transparent resin is a different animal to our usual ABS-like water washable grey, tweaking settings as we speak. If all else fails it'll have be clear resin casting, ovens, pressure vessels and all...

Edited by general melchett

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Printing clear parts is new to me too, Loren. Although I've been 3D printing for a time now there's going to be a fair bit of experimentation ahead. Transparent resin is a different animal to my usual ABS-like water washable grey, tweaking settings as we speak. If all else fails it'll have be clear resin casting, ovens, pressure vessels and all...

If all else fails  General , if you have a access to a vac machine, you could do a 3d positive of the canopy and then create a part from that. That's what I'm having to do at present with my Koster Privateer restoration. the side turret clear plastic, because of age, has become too brittle and delicate to reuse. It just crumbles apart. so at present my only path to a fix.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Ah so much technology (of which I am a fan I might add) but you could also just carve a blank and plunge mold one. 

49998519056_6de426b7e4_c.jpg

Sometimes simpler.

They won't let me play with sharp objects any more🤪

• Haha 3

Probably me three, but I persist, seeing how I don’t have the money for a professional minder; I haven’t sliced myself with the bread knife in a long time ( concentrating on the bread roll not the knife argh) and at least now that I favour scalpels it’s always a clean cut :) 

50137177376_b74a62c3ce_c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Me too...I've also been told to keep well clear of the kitchen (probably best for all concerned, my plum duff looks like a molehill decorated with rabbit....etc).

That's to say nothing of his filet mignons!!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, LorenSharp said:

They won't let me play with sharp objects any more🤪

I've just finished making some moulds for the ventral turret and upper nose area, next job is the nose cone. One way or another we will get these little blighters done!

• Like 1

Progress has been slow. So has motivation! I want to get the clear parts done and test fitted before progressing the fuselage. The formers for the upper nose and ventral turret are now done so hope to get a trial done this weekend. Once the shape is correct, I usually add a few extra bits of plasticard to the dimensions so that there is scope for trimming to get the fit right. Last time I did this method was for the bigger FM sister, the Halifax but I used P38 filler to fill the gaps in the plastic frame. This time I used Miliput, but it's a nightmare to sand, however more resilient to handling. There was a few spots where the miliput hadn't tried, presumably through lack of mixing the compounds so these were scraped out and the holes filled with P38, hence the pink spots.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

I got the new engine nacelles through from our @general melchett and have to say they are blumin' good, big thanks matey :) I'm going to go with the gills open as most photo's show this when parked. I've come across a snag forming the clear parts. I've run out of 0.5mm PET sheet so went to order more but it's being sold to make face visors and you can imagine what that has done to the price! When I made the Halifax canopy, I went through 10 sheets due to scrappage and experimenting. The cheapest I can find online now is £4.50 a sheet which I'm not to enthusiastic to spend. I have some 1mm stuff so will attempt that, but I found it difficult to work with last time getting enough heat into it without bubbles appearing.

anyway, here's a quick shot of what we have so far. Handling the fuselage is a ruddy nightmare. Due to the shape, all it ever wants to do is roll upside down!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

15 hours ago, woody37 said:

The cheapest I can find online now is £4.50 a sheet which I'm not to enthusiastic to spend

Haven’t tried it myself but I understand large soft drink bottles heat form well. I have seen a youtube video of a large scale  car body being formed from one.  I have found things like salad tubs that mold well. So why not try a bit of active recycling :) 

Afair there are two types of plastic, thermosetting and thermoforming, one lot can only be molded once but the other can be reshaped by applying heat. Also if you look for the recycling number in the little three arrow triangle you can tell what plastic a container is made from. 

Edited by Marklo