The fail of my build for your "Turning Japanese" GB had quite damped my enthusiasm for GBs. So I tried to :lalala:. But here you come again, Rich @trickyrich, playing the role of the (fork-tailed?) :devil: with another irresistible subject. No choice but to leap into the 🔥 again.

So would you please count me in? 

Academy 1/72 plastic in Italeri clothes + Eduard PE and masks..

The peculiar Miss Ann box scheme is really attractive but no decision taken yet (3 other options in the box). Also @Christer A was first on the ball.

Maybe I'll just use the seatbelts from the Eduard set (most 1/72 scale PE parts are real tiny but the problem doesn't lie with the carpet monster, it's just that  I most often find these back glued on my fingers instead of on the plastic).

spacer.png 

Thanks.

Pat.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, don f said:

Count me in with a Tamiya P-38H.

Don

20220906-095842.jpg

Welcome along Don, I was wondering how long it would take before one of the Tamiya H models showed up. Took my F/G version out of the plastic the other night, the first time I've had a good look at it........and WOW!!! 😍 She's gorgeous, without any effort the fuselage section joins just disappear when you hold the two bits together!!  Only thing I did find though is the instructions don't identify which bits for which version.

9 hours ago, PattheCat said:

The fail of my build for your "Turning Japanese" GB had quite damped my enthusiasm for GBs. So I tried to :lalala:. But here you come again, Rich @trickyrich, playing the role of the (fork-tailed?) :devil: with another irresistible subject. No choice but to leap into the 🔥 again.

So would you please count me in? 

Academy 1/72 plastic in Italeri clothes + Eduard PE and masks..

The peculiar Miss Ann box scheme is really attractive but no decision taken yet (2 other options in the box). Also @Christer A was first on the ball.

Maybe I'll just use the seatbelts from the Eduard set (most 1/72 scale PE parts are real tiny but the carpet monster doesn't get them as I often find these back glued on my fingers instead of on the plastic).

spacer.png 

Thanks.

Pat.

Its an addiction Pat and I like to play the supplier...though I will take souls if needed!!! :D  I don't know how many I have led down the AM path so far!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Its an addiction Pat and I like to play the supplier...though I will take souls if needed!!! :D  I don't know how many I have led down the AM path so far!

As far as I'm concerned, I fear it's not a path for long anymore but rather on the verge of becoming a chute :frantic:.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome along Don, I was wondering how long it would take before one of the Tamiya H models showed up. Took my F/G version out of the plastic the other night, the first time I've had a good look at it........and WOW!!! 😍 She's gorgeous, without any effort the fuselage section joins just disappear when you hold the two bits together!!  Only thing I did find though is the instructions don't identify which bits for which version.

Happy to be aboard for this GB. When we get started, I'll post my project notes describing the kit parts to make an H-1 or H-5 version.  

Don

• Like 1

I had intended to join in, but I have quite a bit on my plate currently, so I may be a late starter.

I have a few options:

Academy 2209 Lockheed P-38J Lightning with Kits-World KW172055 sheet for P-38J-15-LO 43-28431 MC-O Happy Jack’s Go Buggy 79th FS 20th FG April 1944

Italeri 032 Lockheed P-38J Lightning with Tally Ho! decals to represent P-38J-10 LO s/n 42-67717, E*LC “My Dad” flown by Captain James “Slick” Morris of the 20th Fighter Group, 77th Fighter Squadron, March 1944

Italeri 1446 Lockheed P-38J Lightning with Print Scale 72-016 for Gentle Annie – 2 versions or Hells Belle all of 79th FS 20th FG King’s Cliffe, Q*MC, s/n 267793, 79th FS/20th FG, Kingscliffe spring 1944

Edited by Ratch
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ratch said:

I had intended to join in, but I have quite a bit on my plate currently, so I may be a late starter.

I have a few options:

Academy 2209 Lockheed P-38J Lightning with Kits-World KW172055 sheet for P-38J-15-LO 43-28431 MC-O Happy Jack’s Go Buggy 79th FS 20th FG April 1944

Italeri 032 Lockheed P-38J Lightning with Tally Ho! decals to represent P-38J-10 LO s/n 42-67717, E*LC “My Dad” flown by Captain James “Slick” Morris of the 20th Fighter Group, 77th Fighter Squadron, March 1944

Italeri 1446 Lockheed P-38J Lightning with Print Scale 72-016 for Gentle Annie – 2 versions or Hells Belle all of 79th FS 20th FG King’s Cliffe, Q*MC, s/n 267793, 79th FS/20th FG, Kingscliffe spring 1944

domn't worry too much most of us have multiple builds going on at once......for my sanity I won't mention how many I have going, but lets just say it's in the double figure range (and I'm not counting "shelf queens"/"shelf of doom" models either!!!!). :whistle:

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

domn't worry too much most of us have multiple builds going on at once......for my sanity I won't mention how many I have going, but lets just say it's in the double figure range (and I'm not counting "shelf queens"/"shelf of doom" models either!!!!). :whistle:

You too ? Im around 15 myself. 

• Like 1

Hmm... I seem to have 'acquired' Academy's 1/48 Glacier Girl and have never built a P-38 so maybe...

Does anybody know of a source for the big 310 gal Lockheed tanks in 1/48 (used in the PTO often carried with a 185 gal) as I may have a cunning plan.

BTW several times in The Lockheed P-38 Lightning: The Definitive Story of Lockheed's P-38 Fighter' Warren M. Bodie comments that Lockheed had prepared drawings for the P-38 to mount Merlins.

• Like 2

I'd like to build St Ex's P-38 F-5A but the RS kit is such a dog...what kind of obvious modifications would I have to make on the F-H kit from Airfix to accomplish this?

I'm not one to jump into surgery unless it is absolutely necessary...I have the RS kit and decals...

Answers are appreciated...

Ok just some brief stuff as I'm no expert on the P-38.

The P-38F, G, and H are pretty much the same aircraft, they just had variations of the Allison engine, slight improvements with each model.

The G and on had upgraded pylons to carry the larger 300 gallon drop tank (these were really only used for ferrying due to separation issues) and 2000lb bombs.

The jump to the P-38J from the P-38H is quite substantial, lets put it this way, it'd be much simpler to buy a new model!

For Recon birds, I'm not 100% sure for the P-38H but:

P-38E - F-4-1-LO

P-38F - F-4A-1-LO

P-38G - F-5A-1-LO (and H model too I think)

P-38J - F-5B-1-LO is a completely different beast!

The Recon nose was different between the F-4's and F-5's, camera positions and shape, both underside profiles are different to that of a standard P-38. Mod work is required to build a Recon bird.

Hopefully this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Ok just some brief stuff as I'm no expert on the P-38.

The P-38F, G, and H are pretty much the same aircraft, they just had variations of the Allison engine, slight improvements with each model.

From what I've found the P-38E is the same as the F except for the stores that could be carried.

How much weight do you guys put in the nose? Ballpark value. My instructions do not come with any suggestion.

I’m thinking 1/72 but by all means answer for other scales. 

It obviously matters how far forward you manage to put it, but kit shouldn’t matter that much.

• Like 1

I’m in with an Airfix P-38F/G double build (or quadruple, depending on which bits you are counting…).

I’ve got to wrap up an F-102 for the Century GB first and I’ve just been emailed by a customer to ask whether I want to add a new interface to one of our software products over the weekend for a demo next week. No wonder I have a Shelf of Shame!

I hope to start later in the week though. Now off to watch TV and look at Tamiya P-38 builds to see what the interior should really look like!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 12:19 AM, Torbjorn said:

How much weight do you guys put in the nose? Ballpark value. My instructions do not come with any suggestion.

I’m thinking 1/72 but by all means answer for other scales. 

It obviously matters how far forward you manage to put it, but kit shouldn’t matter that much.

well if the nose gear starts to sag then it might be a wee bit too much!! 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

As someone who has never dipped their toe into participating in a group build before, this one looks like the perfect one to dive right into. So while it is my first GB, the nights are on the turn so the perfect opportunity to go all in and build two.

So as long as it is within the rules I would like to put forward the following two.

• Tamiya 1/48 P-38G-15-LO, s/n 43-2475, 'Babe'
  • P-38J 42-67408, 42-67408 'Double Trouble'

Looking forward to getting a start

Kom 😀

• Like 2