Lancaster II LL735 - Metrovick F.2 testbed

zebra

Thanks everyone. Heat-stained metal makes sense for the cowlings. I might use a couple of different mixes as there seems to have been some variation between engines.

I’m coming round to thinking those walkways have been sprayed with a metallic paint, so part of the contrast we see in the photos is from a less reflective paint. I think I’ll go with high speed silver - also for the ailerons.

@Mancunian airman the CAD for 3D printing is definitely a learning curve. Simple geometries aren’t so bad but the intake was challenging. I think for the Pythons on the Lincoln I’m going to 3D print the main part but not worry about trying to get the printed part to perfectly fit the wing - will resort to some traditional modelling for that!

@Ol' Scrapiron no idea what the tiny blisters are but they’re present on the kit.

@woody37 tape over the spars makes sense - thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Tiny blisters atop the scoops on inner cowlings only -- are those lights?

No, not lights, but I don't know what.

49560931598_6981b7f7f5_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

I thought this GB was going to comprise entirely of dark earth/dark green bombers.  How wrong I was!

This is a brilliant subject and thread.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

There’s a tape over the joins along the spars, so what you can see here is probably silver paint applied over. I was watching them do the same on the bbmf Lanc one day

I got a photo of them doing it...

spacer.png

• Like 5

Looking good Julian,

Should be in the Gallery a long time before mine as I am out of action at the moment - got a nasty abscess in my gum and my face is swollen. Eating is difficult and I am banned alcohol whilst taking a course of powerful antibiotics. Better than Corona Virus I suppose.

Cheers

Pete

• Sad 3

Just catching up on this excellent project in-between totally insane days at work (I won’t elaborate). This is truly looking fantastic Julian and is turning out to be a very appealing and unique project all round. Love it! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Almost finished - over the last couple of days I've got most of the small jobs done, only really have to get the exhausts on then it's done. Most of this was pretty standard stuff from the kit - the two non-standard jobs were the overspray where the paint over the spars seems to have gone over onto the roundels, and adding the 3D-printed jet pipe. Should be in the gallery tomorrow.

Lancaster WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Finished. More in the gallery shortly.

Lancaster LL735 1/72

Many thanks to everyone who's followed along and chipped in with comments and suggestions. This one's been a lot of fun. Time to crack on with the Lincoln!

cheers

Julian

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Who would have thought that a radial engined Mk.II could be built up without applying the typical DG/DE/N colouring? Now that’s both unique, eye catching and absolutely beautiful. Well done Julian. A truly fantastic effort with a good dose of ‘something different’ thrown into the mix. I just love it! 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1