Tamiya M113

14 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Whole of the interior looks really good. 

I love the additions and the little bits you've very thoughtfully added in there.

Beer bottle needs a label though - Carlsberg or Heineken, maybe. Corona Extra would be popular choice too, but it's in the clear bottle usually.

Ah hell, playing hunt the beer bottle in this is like playing where's Wally!!

• Like 1

Thank you chaps, 

Weathering of the lower hull has begin, Mig pigments and some mud coloured paints going in under the sponsons 

P1070910

And the winky pot, these are different from the British versions so it had to be scratched up as I couldn't use the Accurate Armour clear resin version I used clear sprue, polished 

and then had the clear Tamiya orange lacquer paint added. Which sprays better than the Acrylic version may I add. 

P1070909

P1070911

Cheers for looking in folks 

Dan 

• Like 8

Winky pot! I like that. We never had such things when I was in BAOR. Just a SOXMIS VW Beetle following us everywhere, so we knew where the end of the convoy was.

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers chaps, 

3 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

The pot is spot on!!! 

Is that Tamiya's LP51?

it’s LP-53 Alex, I’m loving the Tamiya lacquer paints, they really are good and spray very well indeed. Waiting for more colours to come into the range now. 

Dan 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers chaps, 

it’s LP-53 Alex, I’m loving the Tamiya lacquer paints, they really are good and spray very well indeed. Waiting for more colours to come into the range now. 

Dan 

Thanks Dan!

Oh boy...there are so many good paints out there nowadays.

I will keep my Gunze and Tamiya mix, but might add the the Tamiya colours. 

Alex

• Like 1

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I've been doing some of the running gear, getting it ready to go back on the hull, so with these individual plastic track links you have to be careful with anything mineral spirt based 

that you might use for weathering. The spirts get in the areas that are not protected with paint and they strip the plasticiser's from the plastic causing it to crumble and break up.

Before you know it they are back in kit form after spending hours putting them together. 

Any weathering has to be done by using water based products. So with these tracks I've primed them with Tamiya primer, sprayed Vallejo track primer colour and then mixed up 

some earth tone pigments with tap water, I applied it with a large brush and left it dry.  I'll add more pigments once I get the pads on to unify the track. 

The track pads are separate parts on the MK track set, good for painting but time consuming to cut and clean up but the results are well worth it. I've used a sanding stick to represent damage 

to some of them and left a couple off the represent a thrown pad which is very common on the real deal, I've seen a few pads go through car windscreens before, incidentally that is why almost all British AFV's 

have mud guards, not to stop mud but to deflect thrown track pads. We used to hook them up out of the way when going cross country to stop them being ripped off.  

P1070914

P1070916

P1070917

I've also added the commanders personal weapon, probably not accurate for a AFV commander but I like the M16 with the M203 grenade launcher so he gets one.

Barrel drill out on the 203 and a sling added. the drivers M16 is up in the drivers compartment already. 

P1070913

P1070912

Enjoy folks 

Dan 

• Like 14

Outstanding, the simple small details like the missing/damaged track pads and the scrap of discarded cardboard on the floor are definitely the icing on the cake.

Edited by Richard E
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I should hide that toilet roll Dan. Given the current situation, some scroat will nick it. Lovely job as always.

John.

It's the type of wagon that would be handy for toilet roll shopping John, a nice .050 up top to persuade the locals to had over that last pack !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So here is where I'm at with the build, its almost over now with a few little bits to do, shovel and a tad more weathering, the scopes need sorting out as well. 

I built this kit as more of a nostalgic trip down memory lane, this was one of the first Tamiya kits that I ever built back in the 1980's 

it was a birthday present from my Mum and Dad. This time I wanted to see how far I could push the build using modern paints and techniques. The essence of the build was to keep 

the main Tamiya bits and detail it up so things like tracks and .50 have been swapped out for better detailed items. 

I wanted to represent a vehicle from the cold war era during Exercise REFORGER, I also didn't want to over weather the wagon and the build developed into a track that's going through a live fire period of the exercise 

probably within the first day or so of the exercise. The troops carried in the back are probably off "section attacking" on the same range but away from the wagon.  I will probably get this onto a base but not just at the moment

I've got a few other personal things to take of first, my mother in law passed away 6 weeks after my own mother so the funeral is coming up this week, plus Mrs Dads203 has just got back from a two week business trip to the States which timing wise was not the best but she is back home safe and sound now.

This build as mentioned isn't finished yet folks but I thought to show you the almost final results. I'm happy with it and for a 46 odd year old kit it's fair to say that she scrubs up well, I just  want someone to rebuild me to the same detail and I'll be happy indeed. :frantic:

Not Yet in RFI but it's coming in the next few days.

P1070919

P1070918

P1070925

P1070920

P1070928

P1070927

P1070921

P1070929

P1070930

P1070922

P1070924

Cheers for all the fantastic feedback and comments guys, needless to say I have the next build lined up and waiting to 

go.  The next build is going to be a new tool kit, bigger than this one in size and is a recent release so very little AM to be used. :frantic:

Our German Membership will be happy though. 

Dan 

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

So here is where I'm at with the build, its almost over now with a few little bits to do, shovel and a tad more weathering, the scopes need sorting out as well. 

I built this kit as more of a nostalgic trip down memory lane, this was one of the first Tamiya kits that I ever built back in the 1980's 

it was a birthday present from my Mum and Dad. This time I wanted to see how far I could push the build using modern paints and techniques. The essence of the build was to keep 

the main Tamiya bits and detail it up so things like tracks and .50 have been swapped out for better detailed items. 

A very good reason to begin any project and I think the result is your best AFV build to date Dan.

Edited by Richard E
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

A very good reason to begin any project and I think the result is your best AFV build to date Dan.

Many thanks Richard, I’ve really enjoyed this build and don’t be to surprised to see more Merdc schemes on my future builds, I still have an M60 that I still want to build after my last disaster of a build. Not yet though:winkgrin:

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I’ll get this finished off over the next day or so and get it up on RFI, I’ve done a few more bits tonight bring me closer to the finish. In terms of a base...DAGO58, you nailed it mate, I was thinking of a hard standing or part of a range with a plinth on it to set it off.

Once I find my foam that I use for a base then I’ll start putting something together. 

Many thanks guys 

Dan 

• Like 1

Fantastic result Dan!!! This M113 is a gem!

Grown up in West Berlin unfortunately I never had a chance to see a REFORGER maneuver live, but your M113 looks exactly like the vehicles in the hundreds of pictures I enjoyed in books or on the net. WOW!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Fantastic result Dan!!! This M113 is a gem!

Grown up in West Berlin unfortunately I never had a chance to see a REFORGER maneuver live, but your M113 looks exactly like the vehicles in the hundreds of pictures I enjoyed in books or on the net. WOW!!

Cheers Alex, 

I was in serving in German as the last REFORGER exercises took place but by then all the US army vehicles were in the "new" 3 colour cam schemes and being stationed in Northern Germany 

we generally didn't get see much of the US Army, but the MERDC schemes were still kicking about at that time. A few trips to the PX/BX down in the American sector showed a few vehicle parks with a few painted up in the scheme back in the early 1990's.

I'm so chuffed you like the build, and I have a few more cold war US Army vehicles in the stash that are being pushed up to the top of the build pile, next up will be one from your

German Army, hopefully I'll get that one right. No pressure :frantic:

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I'm so chuffed you like the build, and I have a few more cold war US Army vehicles in the stash that are being pushed up to the top of the build pile, next up will be one from your

German Army, hopefully I'll get that one right. No pressure :frantic:

Regards

Dan

Can't await to see them ☺

By the way...I know it concerns your next project, but while I'm writing I pass the info I got concerning the colour of the berets of the Bergepanzer crews. I asked a friend of mine who was a lieutenant with the Heer and he explained it to me long and explicitly. Well, it sounded easy in German 😜 To make the story short...Black is the colour 

Alex

Edited by coneheadff
  • Thanks 1