Listening to the Solstice

On 2/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Lovely work Tony as ever, albeit quite mad (in a thoroughly nice way). Enjoyed the link about the Jewellery Quarter in Brum. Sad to see the industry decline, oh well, at least soon we'll be able to boast being home to the world's largest Primark.... :(

Kind of you as always Tomo. :thumbsup2:

As to Brum/Primark, look to the positives  - there may be no industry left to speak of but at least you've got ready access to light summer clothing at reasonable prices...

On 2/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, perdu said:

And henceforth I may return to The Judas Pair, a very suitable black hearted tale

I am looking to reduce stock in the Lovejoy section of my library Bill if there are any volumes missing from your own collection that you wish to acquire!

On 2/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, perdu said:

Gwyn my long suffering/suffered wife oftentimes returns from such forays with a Christie or a Mortimer in tow to help absorb the sins of having wed a looney

The consolations of literature eh? :laugh:

On 2/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, corsaircorp said:

It's Always a pleasure to look at your build !!

Why thank-you young man. You cut a bit of a caper yourself by all accounts! 😄

On 2/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, corsaircorp said:

for God sake Dear Martian

Put your pant back on !!

Extraterrestrial beefcake shots are clearly an acquired taste......

On 2/24/2019 at 3:39 PM, CedB said:

Bad luck with the door fix Tony but well recovered.

Thanks Ced. I've been getting a few minutes here and there over the week to tittivate matters and happy enough with the recovery now on both sides. (See below)

On 2/24/2019 at 6:30 PM, hendie said:

Looks like you have uncovered a serious infestation of the lesser known cousin to our old friend, the British woodworm... the Styrenicus Munchalotus.

I look forwards to lying upon a beach in old(er) age, gazing benignly upon the carpet of maggots that are feasting upon microparticles of plastic in the sand as I proudly remind my grandchildren of how my younger self provided such a rich bounty of food for these living creatures....

On 2/24/2019 at 6:30 PM, hendie said:

Thoust cannot an omelette au Fabergé maketh, lest thou commiteth first to the breaketh of les oeufs de Fabergé

The judge cruelly rejected this as part of my defence speech hendie in the case of Victoria & Albert Museum vs. The Baron, regarding some (very) minor breakages that occurred during the 'Splendours of the Hermitage' exhibition!

On 2/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, pheonix said:

I seem to spend as much time repairing pieces (or just making new ones) as I do sticking new bits together

Glad to hear that it's not just me! The current repairs went through two differently-clumsy iterations before the current acceptable result emerged!

On 2/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, pheonix said:

and what we do not see - nearly unlimited patience

With your permission Pheonix I should like to show that sentence to my wife Catherine as a character reference. :laugh:

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Sorry being off topic with this, Tony. Cheers

Not at all Benedikt - given the varied collection of individuals on here I don't feel that 'off-topic' is a viable concept! (Except athletics -  that most self-obsessive of sports: Athlete: 'Look at me everyone - I ran from here to there!' Me: 'Oh well done you. The world's a better place now.')

Yes, it was sad to hear about MH - he seems to have been a genuinely sensitive and modest individual in an industry that can produce monsters. I did get to see TalkTalk just the once when they played support to Genesis at that reunion gig they did with Peter Gabriel in Milton Keynes in 1982. John Martyn was also on the bill, though weirdly I've no recollection of actually seeing him play. It was the bloody wettest outdoor gig I've ever been to...

There has been some minimal progress during the week getting the windows and door frames sorted and in the end became a mixed-media effort to get it looking how it needed to.

The new window on the starboard side was cut out successfully, but the rather brittle plastic of the kit shattered where it divided this windows from the main run of the cockpit windows; this necessitated adding a stronger pillar cut from leftover wheel well from the Iron Chicken:

47196679532_4ff13efe6b_c.jpg 

You can see also that I cut a lovely even square window out only to recollect after having done so that it is angled at the lower rear in order to match the angle of the internal framework! :facepalm:

The door opening and pillar on the other side were another matter and provided some grim moments of ire.

It was no great hardship getting the negative space of the door itself cut out - the overweening problem was that the pillar the door is hinged onto is very thin and no matter what solution I tried using plastic, it was simply going to be either too thin to be structurally useful, or else overscale and strong enough. You wouldn't have liked it and I certainly would have felt ashamed at a 'therabouts' solution. You may have noticed if you've been paying attention that I've one or two bits of brass knocking about, so it made sense to abandon plastic and make an 'L' bracket from said alloy to give a good, strong - and equally importantly - 'in-scale' door pillar:

46525037034_68494c9b9b_c.jpg

For added strength at the top I cut a slot into the roof for the pillar to slide into and the lower part of the 'L' handily forms the rear part of the window sill, so it's nicely integrated int othe structure. I'll need to reinstate those ribbed laterals immediately behind the door howeve where they got sanded off in the process of correcting this area, but I reckon some of the finest grade of Slaters' microrod will sort that later when sanded in to the required profile.

The door itself will be made from one of the few parts of the Flightpath set to survive in the build:

46525037154_e607d0d6f0_c.jpg

It needs making thicker of course but has  some lovely surface details that should give good visuals in the end result with the door open to show inside:

47196679652_c6134373ce_c.jpg

I hope to get an hour or two tomorrow to have a look at building the rear bulkhead separating main cabin from gun turret. In scrutinizing this area I've become aware of other details to go inside,  such as a rack of oxygen bottles behind the radio-op's seat, and a rather frightening 'Honey - I'm home!' crash-axe mounted on the door to the gun turret, to name but a few. With some much going to be on show through long glasshouse of windows and open door it'll look rather unrealistic without this accumulation of detail.

We were sitting eating dinner about an hour or so ago when Mrs. B suddenly exclaimed that something decidedly odd was happening to the light outside:

47249284911_a150182e60_b.jpg

This is a completely raw photo with no colour tweaks &etc. The colour was what could only be described as luminous peach and it suffused everything, presumably the dying light of the  sun diffused through a thin tissue of stratus.

In the spring sunlight on Thursday we managed to get a river walk in and spent much of the time looking at the phantasmagorical reflections of trees in the floodwaters that had come up over the banks:

47248746411_a6890d12e0_c.jpg

If you defocussed your eyes a fraction it was enough to make you giddily feel that your sense of up and down had become reversed: you can see why people believed there was a mirror world down there in the waters...

March already. I saw my first Creme Egg of spring during the week.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A very sensible way around the door problem.

Regarding the strange light, I think I can shed some light on the subject. I took the Haunebu out for a spin today and she really is in need of a new paralytic converter. Sorry, not only am I into my classic cars but classic spaceships as well.

Remooseful of Mars👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Paralytic converter,Guv, what MOD state? I got one on the shelf, rare as wossnames.

Course I can't let you have it, someone might need one.

This was a common occurrence back in the mob. 'No mate, only one left, can't let it go'.

So then you'd have to go up through the chain of command until OC Eng spoke to OC supply and you then got the part!

Of course we were only the servicing flight and the Squadrons had priority. Even on a foggy day!

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Paralytic converter,Guv, what MOD state? I got one on the shelf, rare as wossnames.

Then, alas, you are all stuck with me!

Going Nowhere of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

Bostin' work Tony. Pragmatic solution to the strut issue. Sometimes we have to opt for the "therabouts" solution, given scale, materials, practicality and sanity (although in respect of the latter, I think it's too late for you mate, but I mean that in a nice way ...). I think that door looks fantastic, but yes you'll have to add plenty of extra details - but that aint a bad thing. With the door open exposing all the extra detail, well what's not to like. I did add an axe inside the rear turret of my Lancaster, but You can barely see the pesky thing, that won't be the case here though.

Regarding the luminous peach sky, rumour has it that it was caused by Saharan dust in the upper atmosphere - as reported in the Daily Mail so it must be true! But then I read Martian was in the neighbourhood taking his Haunebu for a spin, so that explains everything. Martian, I hope you're paying your emissions tax - we do take Martian Groats at a rather favourable exchange rate...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Do people really want to discuss my emissions? Do Earthlings accept Flanian Pobblebeads?

Martian 👽

Well !!

These extraterrestrials are Strange funny peoples Indeed !!

Are you talking of that same emissions as the General was talking about ??:whistle:

In fact, did I really want to hear the answer ?? What was your meal yesterday, and what kind of beverage to soak it down the hatch ???

Nozy CC 

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Are you talking of that same emissions as the General was talking about ??:whistle:

In fact, did I really want to hear the answer ?? What was your meal yesterday, and what kind of beverage to soak it down the hatch 

I fear so and I had curry washed down with Hobgoblin Gold ale. Nuff said?

Martian 👽

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I fear so and I had curry washed down with Hobgoblin Gold ale. Nuff said?

Martian 👽

For me, it was Tex mex cooked pork slice, with tomato baked beans and spots !!

Then while I was modelling a fine blue Chimay...

Afterburner for sure :cheers:

So, I'll try to sleep, It's a bit difficult these days !!

Monday, I'm back to work, I'll be tired and will have a better sleep !!

At least I hope I will !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

For me, it was Tex mex cooked pork slice, with tomato baked beans and spots !!

Then while I was modelling a fine blue Chimay...

Afterburner for sure :cheers:

I understand the effect is pretty much the same.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Nice door Tony, good job that man :) 

That sky is certainly a bit weird… but then the BM hive mind came up with the answer :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Regarding the strange light, I think I can shed some light on the subject. I took the Haunebu out for a spin today and she really is in need of a new paralytic converter.

Thought I smelt brimstone! :evil_laugh:

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This was a common occurrence back in the mob. 'No mate, only one left, can't let it go'.

So then you'd have to go up through the chain of command until OC Eng spoke to OC supply and you then got the part!

Of course we were only the servicing flight and the Squadrons had priority. Even on a foggy day!

I believe that the current UK Defence Secretary is intending to have this function taken over by Argos as a cost-saving measure Pete.

Once the vainglorious idiot has finished threatening to single-handedly conquer China of course. 

19 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm very curious to see how you will reinstate that lost ribbing ...

Some plaster and the hose off the vacuum cleaner should do it Giorgio...

z02mmnu9xxe21.png

16 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

practicality and sanity (although in respect of the latter, I think it's too late for you

:rofl:

Regarding the luminous peach sky, rumour has it that it was caused by Saharan dust in the upper atmosphere

Given that the sunrise here this morning made the sky a gold lake from horizon to horizon I'm inclined to favour the sand theory Tomo. Either that or it was a shower of meteors and the Triffids are due....

triffidse.jpg

Come to think of it, I don't recall any cars going down the lane this morning! :hmmm:

as reported in the Daily Mail so it must be true!

CeLUXIEW4AIR78v.jpg

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Do people really want to discuss my emissions?

You had to ask a question like that on a forum like this.... :facepalm:

1 - 

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Are you talking of that same emissions as the General was talking about ?

Right on cue. 😆

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice door Tony, good job that man 

That sky is certainly a bit weird… but then the BM hive mind came up with the answer 

Thanks Ced. Funny sometimes isn't it how what on the surface - cutting a hole for a door - turns into a marathon all of a sudden isn't it!?

As I type this the sky is alternating between low scudding gunmetal and fierce blues, so I guess this is Freya deciding what to wear!

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

have you crafted minute hinges to make it operable? 

That would just be silly now Chris wouldn't it?

(Which is why I - very - briefly mused on such a matter during the week!) :laugh:

Didn't sleep well last night due to an injudicious intake of hot cross buns and spiced chai later at night so late to the fray this morning as a result.

One thing I had been worrying over was to check that the interior framework and the new door and window openings matched-up. Rather foolishly I'd neglected to do a test fit prior to cutting out the openings so it was with some trepidation that I bunged the frame inside  this morning for a gander:

47204758232_31ce3cf24b_c.jpg

Everything forward of the pillar was fine, but I had to unsolder and reposition the frame upright that sits directly behind the pillar by about 1.5mm forwards and move the diagonal bracing back by the same amount as both protruded enough into the doorway to be unacceptable. As you can see that's fixed now.

Same deal on the other side to make sure that the upright wasn't blocking the window there either:

47204758242_df42d324df_c.jpg

Neither of those were big jobs, just fiddly in trying not to unsolder everything in the process of moving the necessary sections. None of the changes are enough to upset any of the visuals so I got off lightly in this instance. Well, almost lightly :laugh:: after teasing the framework into place to line the framework up inside, I realized how much I'd thinned the walls of the nose with the birr by the ease with which the floor of the cockpit broke through it:

32314513247_6162e758c5_c.jpg

Another job to add to the snag list! 

Mentally relegating that liitle chestnut to a future session, it was then possible at last to check accurately where the bulkhead at the end of the rear cabin was going to go. The easiest way to form such jobs I've found is to use a contour guage to make a paper template:

32314513357_a3fbf6e6f2_c.jpg

- prior to tranferring the shape to plasticard.

Another snag in this section is of, course, trying to fit the bulkhead inside the complex cage of the interior framework, however this was possible by making a sacrificial mule fiirst to work out where I needed to excise parts to permit it to fit into the framing on either side, and then produce a master that could be wiggled into place:

47204758252_018e507170_c.jpg

You can see that I've also added the door into the gun turret and a handle from scrap PE. There is a window marked there at the top but it will be invisible so I decided not to lose any sleep over representing that. Other features that did need to be built however were the basket affair for stowing the gunner's parachute, plus (attached to the door itself) starting handles for the engines and a crash axe, as well as compass brackets to the left and right of the door at different heights:

47204758282_5e8f474818_c.jpg

All of these various features were glued into place with Gator's grip and are now happily drying:

32314513437_4c9bf46e79_c.jpg

Have a good evening all of you and thanks for reading as always!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 19

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

realized how much I'd thinned the walls of the nose with the birr by the ease with which the floor of the cockpit broke through it:

Ouch! Better replace the whole fuselage with properly shaped brass sheet, me thinks... :whistle: :rofl:

More great job, Tony :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

some lovely teasing (in a nice way of course) shots there Tony, giving hints of the visual feast that is surely to come

51 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Some plaster and the hose off the vacuum cleaner should do it Giorgio...

Though be careful as it can become somewhat habit forming, which can in turn lead you to some strange places

texnnyclounge.jpg

• Haha 8

I have to admit that "The Male" left me totally perplexed. I guess I've been away too long, I can't understand it at all!

Exquisite details on that bulkhead though Tony, and a nice solution to the door problem. Nothing less than expected. No pressure....

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I have to admit that "The Male" left me totally perplexed. I guess I've been away too long, I can't understand it at all!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

As I type this the sky is alternating between low scudding gunmetal and fierce blues, so I guess this is Freya deciding what to wear!

I do enjoy the pictures you can describe with just a few words Tony!

And the continuing progress on Faithful Annie isn't too shabby either!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1