Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

6 hours ago, Beard said:

You might want to re-post that photograph, with your address blanked-out (or you may not).

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I didn't see nuffin, yer 'onner.

Thanks guys :) I've blanked out PC's address but I'm not worried about mine... there are plenty of other ways for people to track me down and, if anyone does call, I have Molly to distract them while I run for the fields...

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

This is looking rather impressive!

Martian

Thanks Martian :)

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

All looking rather neat and tidy. :giles: cheeky stash shot too. Can't quite make out what the big Airfix box is but I'm sure it's useful and beautiful. ;)

Jont.

1 hour ago, philp said:

Looks like a Vulcan.

Thanks Jont and yes, Phil's correct, it is a Vulcan, bought in a panic when she stopped flying. One day I may even bash it together.

I'm bored with re-organising the 'man cave' now so, after a trip to the dump recycling centre tomorrow I hope to get the rest of the transfers applied.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hello Ced, 

or or should I say "Broad Sword calling Danny Boy, Broad Sword calling Danny Boy."  

Tante Ju is coming on great. Nice to see the grand old lady put together so well.

I hope you have a long and happy retirement.

Great work on the man cave. 

Joe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Joe - very kind, as always :)

Thanks John - no danger of that I don't think... I'm tidier than Mrs B so any suggestion in that direction would receive one of my looks! :)

Another day passed and no sign of transfers on the Junkers.

BUT a car full of stuff went to the dump this morning and the bench is now 'ready' so I've no excuse not to get on with it tomorrow.

Oh, except the new broadband is supposed to be connecting. No problems there then...

• Like 1

I hear that Airfix have sold out of the 1/48 Walrus so you've been reprieved for now, unless you bought the last one of course.

I used to have one of those looks but it doesn't work on SWMBO any more, she just looks back.

Cheers

John

• Haha 1

If you make the man-cave too accessibly, SWMBO may be tempted to go looking for stuff herself in said temple of modelling excellence, “and that would never do!” (in the voice of Sir Topham Hatt).

• Haha 2

Thanks John :D If 'the look' doesn't work any more, have you tried the 'pointed ahem'? I bet you have, of course. After some years such pleasures tend to be denied us...

I didn't get a Walrus. Still stubbornly staying with 1/72!

Thanks Ian :D We've only had one, slight issue and that's because the printers are also here... Mrs B was cutting and pasting (real world, not computer) some paper on the edge of the new workbench before I'd finished positioning items... but, after offering to try to leave an edge free she's agreed to use the floor if necessary. Phew.

At last, some progress:

37442225436_6824377011_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The iPhone camera seems to like the natural light doesn't it? Micro Sol applied to those so it'll have to be left for a while but then it's:

• spray a matt coat
  • fit the engines
  • fit the gunner, gun and windscreen
  • fit the landing lights underneath
  • de-mask (yay!)
  • frame the windscreen with Filmoplast strips.

I've just checked the screen and, luckily, it's all RLM71 around the canopy so that's one good thing.

I'll have a look for some reference shots of the canopy framing - fingers crossed it's not too complex.

• Like 15

That's very nice Ced. Looks like it will be another one in the hanger soon (or should that be water). 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Mental image of Ced in bath playing with float plane flashes through my mind (I have met him you know). Now tragically refuses to go away.

Just think yourself lucky I'm not building one Nigel....!! :D

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Ju looks great and nearly finished, good job!

I'm relying on my mental toughness not be disturbed by those terrible images involving bath tubes mentioned above... (I've also met Ced in Lisbon last year...) :speechless:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Simon, Keith, Giorgio, Johnny and Joe - almost done (see below) so time for a Spitfire soon :)

Thanks TT - don't be afraid to agree! :D

Thanks Benedikt - is it the colours that are 'Norm 72' do you think? :)

Thanks John, Nigel, Giorgio, Keith and Jaime for comments about me in the bath (as opposed to in Bath, where I live).

For those that have met me I can only assume that the image is causing envy rather than nausea... for those that haven't I'll understand any peculiar looks I get when we first meet :D

Thanks Jon :D

Some progress today (hoorah!). Apart from switching the Broadband to another line and supplier (nervousness not required as it turned out) I have done some things on the Ju...

The matt coat has caused silvering on the idents:

37509252231_b9ddc8a05b_z.jpg

Slivering - gaaaah by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I sorted it on that side by cutting away the carrier film, but the corrugations made this hard so on the other side I've just pricked it and applied Micro Sol.

Engines next. The main ones were easy, but the front engine is, er, complex:

37255024990_deac9083b6_z.jpg

... so I thought I'd share my 'method' - please feel free to add copious amounts of Anglo-Saxon as you go through.

The lug on the nose obviously goes into the slot in the engine back:

37465186576_52436182a8_z.jpg

... but there's no indication where the exhausts fit. After several dry fits with bits falling off all over the place, I think they go like this:

37513573651_bec0d50034_z.jpg

Yes, there is lots of glue. No it wasn't my first try.

I also replaced the knocked-off sticky-up thing in front of the canopy and fitted the engine cover:

37255389810_ec74921cf6_z.jpg

The rear gunner, gun and mount and windscreen got stuck in:

37466644816_a5abcdc8a9_z.jpg

Note that the gunner's hands go under the mount, not on the gun. Sensible I guess.

Ladders fitted to drilled out holes and here we are:

36804603434_9e1d9a372c_z.jpg

Canopy framing and touch ups tomorrow (including repainting the ladders 'upper colour') and then she's done.

I'm out to the pub with an old colleague tonight so, actually, it may be later tomorrow or even Saturday. To be safe.

• Like 19