Carriers Ahoy! Things that fly on things that float! chat

trickyrich

On 28/02/2018 at 12:06 PM, Grey Beema said:

Absolutely, I think my name is already on the list.  Just not sure if I need to buy something to build though....

or is that just an excuse....   

In case you haven't I'd check that 48th Sea fury over. A lot of them have scratched canopies and/or short shots in various places. My local retailer sent his batch back despite having customers waiting.

Stick me down, I've got an 1/48 Eduard F6F-5 in the stash but I might pick up an Airfix Skyhawk in 1/72 or something like an A-6 intruder or maybe an S-3 Viking. 

After a quick rummage through the stash I have found these, I thought that I would do one of these with a possibility of a second depending on time. I guess that I could combine both Wildcats in a single thread if that is permissible.  

39046879500_65d5fafd80_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also thought that I would tackle this mini-diorama of a deck launch complete with crew and vehicles but I am not sure if it would be eligible for this GB.

39046880300_3734541be2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

After a quick rummage through the stash I have found these, I thought that I would do one of these with a possibility of a second depending on time. I guess that I could combine both Wildcats in a single thread if that is permissible.  

39046879500_65d5fafd80_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also thought that I would tackle this mini-diorama of a deck launch complete with crew and vehicles but I am not sure if it would be eligible for this GB.

39046880300_3734541be2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hi John, nice choices, the mini diorama is perfect, go for it.

• Like 1

Joined the wife on a trip to Hobbycraft and managed to pick up a Skyhawk for a tenner, probably be OOB, Xtradecals do some nice sheets but for almost the price of the kit I don't know if its worth it.  Hoping I get time to enter my 1/48 Eduard Hellcat but my work bench is pretty backed up with a Seafire 47, Skyraider, Mosquito and Boston still to clear and have plans to enter the Hawker GB too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Rich, I don't remember if I signed up for this, but if not, can I join in please? :)

I've got an Eduard F6F-5 I've been wanting to break the seal on... :D

Cheers,

Stew

you must be getting old like me!  Go on break it and join the fun!

18 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

Joined the wife on a trip to Hobbycraft and managed to pick up a Skyhawk for a tenner, probably be OOB, Xtradecals do some nice sheets but for almost the price of the kit I don't know if its worth it.  Hoping I get time to enter my 1/48 Eduard Hellcat but my work bench is pretty backed up with a Seafire 47, Skyraider, Mosquito and Boston still to clear and have plans to enter the Hawker GB too.

hurry up and clear the work bench....I know I have to! This should be a fun a big GB!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rich/GB Mods,

I don't see my name on the original roster (may have forgotten to sign up), but after looking through the current entries, and

looking through my stash, I'm hoping you might grant permission to come aboard and join this Group build?

I'm just in the throes of finishing a FAA Fairey Firefly Mk V (Airfix Kit)

ddbea118-691d-4f49-bb95-8cf07819db42.jpg

This is what I have in the stash.........

c6935945-87ce-4ec9-b83d-99d8e40d06ed.jpg

bf009068-4ea3-46e5-b6d6-230bdd34b1cb.jpg

My thoughts are are probably the Brewster F2A-2 first off, or a toss up between the either Monogram Mitsubishi Zero,

or TBD-1 Devastator.

The F7U-3 Cutlass has only markings for Test Aircraft, so probably not a goer here

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 2

don't worry about not being on the original list Alan, showing up the the GB is the important thing.

You've got a huge selection to chose form, so pick one....or two and start a thread and join the fun.

That Firefly is looking nice.

6 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Rich/GB Mods,

I don't see my name on the original roster (may have forgotten to sign up), but after looking through the current entries, and

looking through my stash, I'm hoping you might grant permission to come aboard and join this Group build?

I'm just in the throes of finishing a FAA Fairey Firefly Mk V (Airfix Kit)

ddbea118-691d-4f49-bb95-8cf07819db42.jpg

This is what I have in the stash.........

c6935945-87ce-4ec9-b83d-99d8e40d06ed.jpg

bf009068-4ea3-46e5-b6d6-230bdd34b1cb.jpg

My thoughts are are probably the Brewster F2A-2 first off, or a toss up between the either Monogram Mitsubishi Zero,

or TBD-1 Devastator.

The F7U-3 Cutlass has only markings for Test Aircraft, so probably not a goer here

Thanks/regards

Alan

Great selection Alan

Skyraider would get my vote, I can't say no to that many rockets ! :D

cheers Pat

There is already a great number and variety of different builds posted and we don't formally kick off till the 23rd march !

If you are sitting on the fence with this one, please join in, it's great fun and a chance to build something that's been lerking in the stash for years !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

I would like to join in with the Airfix 1/600 scale HMS Victorious.

When I was 7 years old my dad took me to the Portsmouth Navy Open Day 1965 and I remember standing on the flight deck of HMS Victorious looking at a Sea Vixen which was HUGE to a young lad. I think it smelled of parafin! Now I am thrilled that I actually stood on a British carrier in active service which served in WW2. As a result of that, maybe a few years later, I was given the Airfix kit and it made up into a pretty decent model which I kept for a long time. The kit was briefly re-released a few years ago and I had to buy it :-)

My record of group builds is a poor one so I won't post anything until I actually get started, but that is what I would like to do.

Michael

• Like 2

On 01/03/2018 at 2:45 PM, Grey Beema said:

Hi Rich,

There were three Walrus assigned to HMS Victorious and used in the SAR role for the attack on the Japanese Home Islands.  There are a couple of references to their daring do picking up downed pilots from under the noses of the Japanese in "Carrier Pilot" by Norman Hanson.  

I know that one of them broke down and could not be recovered.  So once the crew were safe it was used for target practice by the destroyers of the fleet..  I rather like the vintage styling of the Walrus against the Roundel and bar markings...

Having said that I might do Lt Stott's Indefatigable Firefly.  Most people would plump for "Evelyn Tentions" from Implacable but Lt Stott is the only Firefly pilot to either destroy or be involved in the destruction of 5 aircraft in the air..

Oh decision, decisions - the pressure...

I have defiantly heard of these Walrus's and have tried looking them up, for some reason I think there's an Aussie connection somewhere. But if yo can find the scheme and markings they had on HMS Victorious I'd/we love to see one built! But I know there is also a lot of love for the Fireflies!

On 17/05/2017 at 7:47 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Academy F-4J in stash.

Two Intruders, 2 Super Hornets, Vigilante, Tracker, Hawkeye, and others.

Swordfish, Avenger, Dauntless, Sea Fury, Skua, Sea Vixens, and Gannet.

AND the Italeri deck section kit.

Yep, I could do this one.

Most likely bet from me is:- Italeri F-18E Super Hornet,

Italeri_F18_E_Super_Hornet.jpg

Italeri F-18F Super Hornet,

Italeri_F18_F_Super_Hornet.jpg

Adorned with decals from this set:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/128897-superscale-international-72-883-f-a-18f-super-hornet

There's also a possibility of building this:

Nimitz.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Didn't know about this GB and will join in with a quick build... and it doesn't get much quicker than a Mitsubishi Zero in a PH scheme :lol: The glasshouse canopy will be the time-consuming and tedious part.

27008764218_5bebd31014_b.jpg

Will be nice to see a Zero in the build, but just be a bit careful with the colour scheme, I think the IJN schemes for the Zero and such stayed pretty much the same for the duration of the war, as PH aircraft are outside the scope of this GB.

please ignore most of what's written above as it was written by an idiot.......me! :wall: 

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Will be nice to see a Zero in the build, but just be a bit careful with the colour scheme, I think the IJN schemes for the Zero and such stayed pretty much the same for the duration of the war, as PH aircraft are outside the scope of this GB.

Ah, Rich?

Are confusing this GB the the The Pacific at War GB?

This one is for any carrier-borne aircraft is it not??

11 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Ah, Rich?

Are confusing this GB the the The Pacific at War GB?

This one is for any carrier-borne aircraft is it not??

:wall::wall::wall: 

arrr forget about me, the heat up here is driving me mad!! Why did I have to come up with 2 GB's that are a bit similar!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I have defiantly heard of these Walrus's and have tried looking them up, for some reason I think there's an Aussie connection somewhere. But if yo can find the scheme and markings they had on HMS Victorious I'd/we love to see one built! But I know there is also a lot of love for the Fireflies!

OK I have taken a butchers at Sturtivant Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945 and I can only see one of the three Walrus.  I am reasonable sure I have seen a picture of Victorious with Corsairs in the foreground and three Walrus at the aft end of the flight deck (though I was looking for Corsair P/136 at the time).  I would be reasonably confident that they have been mentioned on the forum before.  Anyway this is the entry for the one I have identified (remember that there are some errors in the book and that more recent research may have an updated view).

Supermarine Walrus MkII W3085.

• Delivered Lee SS 17.02.42
  • Mombasa to RNAY Nairobi 05.09.42
  • 700 Sqn in Gambia (B) 05.09.42
  • Cowdray Park SS to Lee 29.08.43
  • To 1TMO RAAF ex UK 19.01.44
  • Quantas Rose Bay for erection 07.02.44
  • 2FBRD 19.04.44
  • 6CU 22.05.44
  • 1FBMU overhaul 10.02.45
  • 1FBRD 22.03.45
  • 2FBRD 18.06.45
  • Retired Schofields 22.06.45
  • RNAY Coimbatore
  • VICTORIOUS (P) 07.45
  • EF (engine failure) during rescue, sunk by gunfire RN Destroyers 10.08.45

In terms of markings by July '45 the aircraft of the BPF were supposed to have had the Blue/White roundel and bars.  Which came in standard sizes:-

• Small      Outer Ring 32"  Inner ring 12"  Border 2-3 Inches
  • Medium  Outer Ring 42"  Inner ring 14"  Border 2-3 Inches
  • Large     Outer Ring 48"  Inner ring 18"  Border 2-3 Inches

Victorious at this time had the deck letter "P" which should have been applied to the tail.  I do not know if the aircraft had individual aircraft letters.

Not sure if you are interested in this but a good few years ago I built the (I think) Revel 1/72 Walrus.  The kit came with markings for W3085 on VICTORIOUS I do not know if these markings are correct or not.  Perhaps someone in the forum could show a photo of the Victorious Walrus to confirm the markings.  In the meantime a couple of images of my representation of W3085..

40896886101_e3f6d918a9_c.jpg

39087473330_841d87fc8f_c.jpg

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:wall::wall::wall: 

arrr forget about me, the heat up here is driving me mad!! Why did I have to come up with 2 GB's that are a bit similar!!

That's alright Rich, actually it is fortuitous the Pacific GB has been mentioned as I had signed up for it :lol: Rules over at that one could require a bit of care in choosing the kit. As I've made an IJN entry into this one, it moves another kit into that slot. I'll post a "placeholder" just to make sure it meets the criteria ie if any objection is raised. With all these builds going on, it feels like a military operation to deploy what kit where :viking:

• Like 2

I'm happy for the Walrus to be included in this GB, I know there were two that operator off the HMS Victorious on S&R missions and operated by the RAAF. It wasn't just a one-off either they were based on the carrier for some time.

In typical aussie way they were given nicknames, appropriate ones too I think in reference to the Walrus. I just can't find where I read about them, it was quite a detailed article. 

BBC article on Walrus

not sure which carrier it is but I've seen this referred to as landing on the HMS Victorious

A Supermarine Walrus flying boat about to land on the flight deck of HMS VICTORIOUS