1/32 Monogram Blue Thunder

This was my first build of 2016, it's an original Monogram kit I got from a guy in the USA off eBay. It was in a complete and excellent condition. I decided I wanted to add some crew figures so looking around my stash I found some figures from an old 1/32 Trumpeter A10 Thunderbolt kit that I haven't built in over 10 years. I had to modify the figures using a scalpel blade, I re-sculpted their flight suits and had to remove their face masks and sculpt a new face to go with a suitable look for this build and I had to adjust the arms and legs and head of the pilot figure and the arms and head of the observer figure. Also I made some boom microphones which was out of magnet wire cynoed to the side of their helmets and a dab of 5 minute epoxy to the end to make the mic. In fact it took longer to work on the figures than it did to actually build the kit! I found of the actual filming helicopter showed a lot more safety style warning decals around the aircraft so I added a few from the Trumpeter decals. I think they improve the look of the overall model. It may bring back memories of an 80's classic movie and TV series. I shall probably search for an Airwolf kit to go with this build. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

38wuGnu.jpg
lR9OlPa.jpg
MJij2GV.jpg
LsMjA6q.jpg
RXtfzGV.jpg
kjQF0bw.jpg
8VlbVq0.jpg
XLEUFYH.jpg
ZrcjmlA.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 20

Very nice Blue Thunder indeed!

I saw the movie as a kid and was of course thrilled. This actually looks like a Gazelle helicopter with new cockpit glazing and some extra stuff (can you say that a Minigun is "Extra Stuff" :lol: )

Best Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Awesome model! One of my favourite movies as a teenager.

I loved that opening text: The hardware, weaponry and surveillance systems depicted in this film are real and in use in the United States today. Apache anyone? Although I can't imagine anyone flying an Apache snooping around the way Murphy and Lymangood did in the Hollywood Hills.

The kit certainly looks the business. The interior seems to have much more room than I recall. I thought Lymangood's display was a much larger CRT display positioned directly in front of him.

Thanks for sharing it with us, that was a nice trip down memory lane.

Noicee... I, too, have fond memories of the film.

The guy in the back ought to be fitted... Texting on the phone instead of working!

Glad you like it,but Jafo is working,he was just going through the check list of the day,s flight plan,looking for any possible bad guy hot spots,but i must confess it does look like he is on a smart phone or tablet LOL.

WOW!! Now that is a cool build. You did a magnificent job and it's nice to see that some people still think outside the normal aircraft builds. Great job all the way around..

Dave

Thanks Dave,since returning to the hobby 2yrs ago my huge stash contains mostly oddball stuff ! LOL.