Any thought,s on Revell?

stevej60

Sadly Revell have failed to capitalise on their type IX u-boat and release a 1/144 version to go with the VIIC's, there is no offering in this scale, the nearest being the academy 1/150 type IX motorised toy/model, surely a missed opportunity.

Chris

Absolutely!! My favourite mark of german sub - I'd definitely buy one as I haven't got the space for the 1/72 version!

As for the way ahead, I remain concerned that Hobbico's takeover was simply so that they could buy an established European network for their own products, which are predominantly R/C. Revell's own R/C range has increased considerably in the last two or three years, and I feel personally that the plastic side of the business will become increasingly secondary. Revell have always had a good number of other companies' moulds in their range, but there does seem to be much more of it now. In terms of new aircraft moulds, the 2015 range features less than a dozen totally new moulds. Airfix has twelve, and has a much smaller overall range.

Stumbled upon this from a hotlink looking for something else. Have to agree re Hobbico, suggestive of the following having come from an active aeromodelling and R/C background of more than 45 years. Static plastics modelling was predominant with children and youth in my era. Whilst control-line aka u-control in the US was available to youth back then, it wasn't generally affordable or viable unless a parent was involved until mid teenage years. RC was definitely not, nor were there so many activities competing for attention with a far more materially affluent youth as there is today.

Another way of saying all that perhaps more concisely in contemporary vernacular is that is in my day, making model aircraft was common and considered "cool". Today it's not, and those who do are looked upon by their peers as nerds. Electric RC and 2.4GHz has had a huge impact on the uptake of RC among the youth of today as has the cost involved being lower than it ever has. The ubiquitious EP park flyer not possible with IC RC or IC control-line in this age has seen a resurgance of interest, of helis in the particular which are perceived as super-cool. There's the underlying reason. I observe plastics modeling is in decline generally, and markedly outside certain demographic segments.

I admit to being gobsmacked at interest in the Shackelton. It is a very British market only subject AFAIC. Of an era my generation can identify with as a subject, it lacks any interest whatsoever for me. Whilst I understand there will be vociferous afficionados of the type, I see it as a very niche subject. Scratches head both Revell and Airfix should be doing one as a subject. Perhaps their market research reveals different?

Hawk will have worldwide as well as straightforward aesthetics appeal. Licence produced in the US and elsewhere as well as the high profile of Red Arrows.

C-54 is a mystery entire? Sufficiently large US market to sell into warrant it perhaps.

• Like 1

The C54 should sell well in Germany due to the fame it earned (Candy Bomber) in the Berlin Airlift. Will be getting the new Hawk, seems to be more accurate than the others available. I will get loads if it gets an armed release of the Mk.50/60. Only reason I can think of for the Revell Shack is maybe they sold a lot of the old Frog kit?

What I really want is some more 1/72nd helos, EC120 Colibri, AS350 and AS355 also bung in a new SA330 Puma and Gazelle.

Paul Harrison

Stumbled upon this from a hotlink looking for something else. Have to agree re Hobbico, suggestive of the following having come from an active aeromodelling and R/C background of more than 45 years. Static plastics modelling was predominant with children and youth in my era. Whilst control-line aka u-control in the US was available to youth back then, it wasn't generally affordable or viable unless a parent was involved until mid teenage years. RC was definitely not, nor were there so many activities competing for attention with a far more materially affluent youth as there is today.

Another way of saying all that perhaps more concisely in contemporary vernacular is that is in my day, making model aircraft was common and considered "cool". Today it's not, and those who do are looked upon by their peers as nerds. Electric RC and 2.4GHz has had a huge impact on the uptake of RC among the youth of today as has the cost involved being lower than it ever has. The ubiquitious EP park flyer not possible with IC RC or IC control-line in this age has seen a resurgance of interest, of helis in the particular which are perceived as super-cool. There's the underlying reason. I observe plastics modeling is in decline generally, and markedly outside certain demographic segments.

I admit to being gobsmacked at interest in the Shackelton. It is a very British market only subject AFAIC. Of an era my generation can identify with as a subject, it lacks any interest whatsoever for me. Whilst I understand there will be vociferous afficionados of the type, I see it as a very niche subject. Scratches head both Revell and Airfix should be doing one as a subject. Perhaps their market research reveals different?

Hawk will have worldwide as well as straightforward aesthetics appeal. Licence produced in the US and elsewhere as well as the high profile of Red Arrows.

C-54 is a mystery entire? Sufficiently large US market to sell into warrant it perhaps.

That is usually the case and must be for the Shackelton if two brands are competing. Unless you're prepared to accept low sales which is also a possibility you generally release a new model expecting it to sell based on the research you've done.

I think the Shackleton does have a particular interest for the British enthusiast modeller, for a number of reasons.

1. It's big with four piston engines. (Isn't that enough?)

2. There's been a strong undercurrent for many years that British aircraft of the 1950s have been under-represented by decent models. This is of particular appeal to older modellers, perhaps.

3. The Shackleton stayed in service for an exceptionally long time, and so was prominent at air displays at a time when even the younger modellers were around.

4. It was a popular kit for Frog and has been missed.

5. There are ones around to get good data from - a key matter for Airfix.

Revell did sell Eastern-produced examples of the Frog kit, which must have generated enough interest to attract their planners.

• Like 1

Ditto... and I think it's catching: I can't get either of my 918s back in as well....

;-P

bestest,

M.

The Germans do have a strange talent for being able to pack things very efficiently at times, their BMW aero engines are a 'quart in a pint pot'.

Seems post-war they didn't lose the knack, although some of the reboxing of others kits is sometimes a little more 'rattled' at times.

When I take the sprues out of the box, I begin clipping them to remove the excess plastic and trying the kit parts to see if they fit. I may need a few extra (smaller) plastic bags to hold segments of sprue afterwards but I've always removed enough not to have any trouble getting the bits back!

4. It was a popular kit for Frog and has been missed.

I'd think this the predominant deciding factor.

Many old FROG subjects are missed, but clearly comes down to viablity in terms of probable sales. e.g. S6B done by both Airfix and FROG back in the day still lingering like most inter-war period subjects. I understand why.

Contemporary (buying) public awareness and interest profile are all important. I am so glad Airfix recently took up the baton and produced the Blenheim Mk.1, Whitley and Mk.1 early straight canopy Spit.

Too much to hope for really, but a Beaufort would be welcome. I don't expect to see many of the less glamourous types done by FROG sorely missed. Miles Magister & Master (they did the radial engine'd II), Percival Proctor, lesser known Hotspur, Skua et al.

Well, the Magister has been done by RS recently, the Master by Pavla, and the Skua by Octopus (Pavla) and Special Hobby(?). We can't be said to "need" any of these types. We don't really want Revell to re-issue the old Frog Skua anyway, do we? Not one of Frog's better subjects.

Re Ju88s: I can see a C variant being a likely release but a G would require much more significant retooling. As would an A-1, with new tail, wings, engines and propellers, apart from cockpit and canopy differences. An A-5 would be easier, perhaps. I was interested to see the note that Revell only do two variants of any of the bigger kits. This would certainly seem to read back to their earlier Ju88, which over many years remained the same boxings of an A/D and a C.

Re Ju88s: I can see a C variant being a likely release

So do I.

More importantly, so does RoG. :)

but a G would require much more significant retooling. As would an A-1, with new tail, wings, engines and propellers, apart from cockpit and canopy differences. An A-5 would be easier, perhaps. I was interested to see the note that Revell only do two variants of any of the bigger kits. This would certainly seem to read back to their earlier Ju88, which over many years remained the same boxings of an A/D and a C.

The sprue layout does suggest this - all relevant A-4 / C-6 specific parts are on seperate sprues.

Cheers,

Andre

Give them time perhaps although I don;t think the objective is every variant. We've already got the excellent A-4 and now the C-6 which was a relatively easy adaptation which tests the water to see how it will sell. A "G-6" will require a different vertical stab and new sprue to facilitate replacement of the ventral gun housing. In my stash, Revell's C-6 is incredibly well done for scale, although I confess to finding the smaller scale difficutlt to work with these days.

Well, the Magister has been done by RS recently, the Master by Pavla, and the Skua by Octopus (Pavla) and Special Hobby(?). We can't be said to "need" any of these types.

I'd suggest we do. Pricing and availability is wrong from where I'm 'standing'. Mainstream priced high quality IM mould and boxing of Eduard or Revell (min) quality is what I'd be looking for rather than LR from RS, SH et al.

As is, they'd constantly be triaged out of the buy list in favour of alternatives other than by the hardcore who must have one. I do it so many times myself. e.g. Let me see now. 1/48 Zvezda Yak-3 and 1/48 La-5FN both, or RS 1/72 Miles Magister? Either, or, landed at my door for the same $$. Gee that's a tough one.

I take on board you point, as I'm sure you'll take on board mine.

The problem is that if you want mainstream quality then you are largely restricted to the more iconic and spectacular subjects. It is getting longer and longer since WW2, and these aircraft do not mean anything to many buyers. If you want exotic subjects then you have to look at the short-run producers. Not exotic by our personal opinions perhaps but ... the older ordinary everyday workhorses don't draw the interest.

I have several RS kits and the quality is high. The later Pavla were pretty good too: I didn't have the Master so can't judge that one. I don't see them as intrinsically more difficult or inferior to modern mainstream kits I've bought recently such as the Airfix Blenheim or Revell Halifax, both of which require considerable attention to either get right or fit together.

The Ju88G-6 will also need new engine fronts and cockpit interiors, a new armoured canopy and probably props. Plus details such as exhausts, radars etc. I'm not saying they won't do it because I don't have any personal input, but it isn't a straightforward "add a few bits" such as the C is.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

We're on the same page. Agree with all you've said above.

Won't comment on the Pavla but read the review on the RS and it got an OK tick. I know I've been eyeing off SH's AR 96B, and keep deferring it for the reason previously stated when I can get a nice Eduard Profipack something for less money. Kudos to these niche manufacturers.

Agree on the Ju 88G-6. I'll buy pretty much anything and everything German night fighter related, so Revell or any mainstream manufacturer will get my money if they do one. Doing the C-6 was a smart move by Revell.

Be nice if revell added a range of Dornier 217 to run alongside Airfix 1s and ICMs 215.

72nd would be my scale of choice and it would be result in a modern replacement for Italeris range which are very nice but showing their age with raised panel lines and limited internal details.

I live in hope for a new affordable Do-217N-2...

After big comeback in the late ninties and after capturing much of the European market, in recent four years they become sloopy.

Regarding tooling quality and accuracy there were many big flops in the last five years mostly due to outsourcing of CAD.

Then,in the last year almost thirty percent price hike in Europe- made most of new boxings seriously overpriced and beyond the amount that majority of buyers are willing to pay

To top it all, Company that used to listen carefully to its distributors and retailers is now almost deaf to all constructive criticism.

I would like to be able to write more positively, but I am afraid that recent takeover by Hobbico signs end of quality models for a fair price-essentially end of Revell

that we knew and loved.

P.S. What can be said for a Company that dismisses subjects like those mentioned below as being too risky ( taken into consideration for 1/32 scale )...other than you simply do not know how to do your job anymore.

Bu 131/133/181

Bf 109 C/D

Ta 152H

Ju 87B

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I

Hawker Tempest Mk.V

F-86A/E

etc...etc...

Edited by Thomas V.